.NET opened source, the coming death of Mono?

• Microsoft just open source the .NET core and are slowly releasing the core classes on github.

More libraries. Consider the subset we have today a down-payment on what is to come. Our goal is to open source the entire .NET Core library stack by Build 2015.

This effectively just headshots alot of work people did into making Mono and replicating M$ own libraries

Also an MSFT team member also wrote

That's exactly what it means. And the GC. And the type system. And the assembly loader. And the assembly binder. And the interop system: we'll open source the entire CoreCLR runtime!

The death of mono does seem to be coming

• @delfinom said:

This effectively just headshots alot of work people did into making Mono and replicating M$ own libraries

Actually, it doesn't. What'll likely happen is that Mono will pull in this stuff and complement it with their own code to take care of the rest, similar to how IcedTea works with the OpenJDK + GNU Classpath code.

• But why would you want to use the Mono runtime that is lagging behind and just copying what the MSFT runtime does? OpenJDK exists due to licensing issues with non-free software being used in normal Java but the .NET core is MIT License and the rest of .NET (assembler, JIT, etc) is being open sourced as well.

• I don't see that it kills Mono, I see that it refocuses Mono to use the Microsoft-provided code instead of their homegrown. Their IDE and tooling (integration with open source web servers, etc) is still highly important and needed.

If the Mono project gets pissy about a HUGE reduction in wasted duplicate-effort, then it's just full of idiots. Being an open source project, I'm sure that's exactly what will happen.

This is a really good, and really overdue move from Microsoft.

• This, right after Roslyn, is rather wonderful news. Doubly so if this allows some of the things Mono has been too scared to implement (with good reason) like WPF to become crossplatform.

Still, what with Windows Runtime apps windowable in Win10 and able to be run on all Win10 platforms... The game I'm making is currently designed as a Windows Store app to take advantage of this later on.

All I know is, if people manage to build a version of WPF that runs on OpenGL, I might be able to use that instead/as well for my UI. People haven't had a lot of luck hosting Monogame in WPF so far, except through some unholy union with Winforms, and only if there's no overlapping. Fairly worthless. If this means that can change, I will be overjoyed.

• Their IDE and tooling (integration with open source web servers, etc) is still highly important and needed.

Considering Visual Studio is written in .NET, who knows, maybe we'll see an official cross platform Visual Studio release in the far future :DDD You don't know how badly I want Visual Studio shell IDEs over Eclipse trash.

• @delfinom said:

Considering Visual Studio is written in .NET, who knows, maybe we'll see an official cross platform Visual Studio release in the far future

That'd be awesome to see, actually! VS runs rings around Eclipse in quite a few ways...

• According to @cartman82, nobody uses .NET, so who cares?

• @delfinom said:

Wasn't there a lot of talk about how MS is going to collaborate with Mono? And even if it wasn't for that, that's the stupidest argument ever.

"Oh no, we put so much work into hacking X to work on Y, and now they're gonna potentially make X actually usable on Y! This cannot be!"

• But it could still piss off people who now feel like they wasted a lot of time and effort.

• Developers – 03:02
    — 1doony4u

For relevance. He may be gone, but Microsoft sometimes still makes some major nods toward this ideal.

• @boomzilla said:

But it could still piss off people who now feel like they wasted a lot of time and effort.

So what? It's normal for things to become obsolete as time progresses. It's like complaining that you spend 20 years mastering the slide rule, and then some guy came with that pocket calculator thingy and made your skills useless. Sorry, no points for you.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

It's like complaining that you spend 20 years mastering the slide rule, and then some guy came with that pocket calculator thingy and made your skills useless

No, that's a terrible analogy. I'm keeping my points, which I'm tracking on an abacus.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Abacus? Why don't you use a knotted rope like a normal person?

• @boomzilla said:

But it could still piss off people who now feel like they wasted a lot of time and effort.

If people care about their "time and effort" more than they care about getting results, then they're idiots.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Magus said:

For relevance. He may be gone, but Microsoft sometimes still makes some major nods toward this ideal.

My cousin used to work in a dev shop where they would play that over the office PA, just for shits and giggles.

• @blakeyrat said:

If people care about their "time and effort" more than they care about getting results, then they're idiots.

Maybe they were making money off of copying .NET. That sounds pretty resulty to me.

Anyways, I don't think you're an idiot if you're upset about someone wasting your time. In this case, you might ask MS why they didn't do this years ago?

But we know you're just BSing, otherwise you wouldn't be upset about doing "free" QA for Jeff.

• I thought Visual Studio was becoming cross platform too

• A few years ago, this would have been unthinkable for MS. But I imagine they realized that they can make a lot more money selling VS to Linux users than they can by trying to sell them Windows.

If so, they may get some traction with the non-FSF-zealots. That guy in the office thread and his kind will probably disavow whatever versions of Linux Microsoft first gets it working on.

• @FrostCat said:

Abacus? Why don't you use a knotted rope like a normal person?

💡 rope.... ??

... I've been counting stuff with giant rocks... 😦

Which worked ok because I had good API to interop with COBOL

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.