Paginate the URI

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

What, you expected me to actually look at the picture before posting it?

I wouldn't have noticed, except you called out ENTER, and I wondered what happened to the \ key, because I really need that key (which is also the | key), and I don't understand why people want a giant ENTER unless it's for nostalgia, but I don't think you're that old so BDGI.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

I don't understand why people want a giant ENTER unless it's for nostalgia, but I don't think you're that old

Almost every keyboard I ever owned had a big ENTER. I'm used to it being a big target and just flailing in it's general direction. Force of habit mostly, I guess.

\ / | is just above the right Shift. Never found it being a problem to use.

What I don't get is people complaining about left Shift being smaller due to < / > key being there. I understand that you might want a bigger Shift, but if you get the large one you completely lose one key, as opposed to \ just moving down one row. Those people never had to deal with HTML / XML on a daily basis.

@boomzilla said:

BDGI

That initialism fails to parse here. Google ain't helpin' either.

• FoxDev

@Onyx said:

boomzilla:
    BDGI

i'm guessing BDGI

EDIT: parse fail! that was TOTALLY a valid html title choice.

I had @mentioned @boomzilla in the original title text and it rendered weird.

• @boomzilla said:

I don't understand why people want a giant ENTER unless

Unless you love hitting that shit to let everyone know you're doing something important like firing a missile 🚀

• @Onyx said:

What I don't get is people complaining about left Shift being smaller due to < / > key being there. I understand that you might want a bigger Shift, but if you get the large one you completely lose one key, as opposed to </kbd> just moving down one row. Those people never had to deal with HTML / XML on a daily basis.

Or you could just make the left Shift bigger, the right shift smaller, and put < / > next to the right Shift instead. I mean, that right Shift is huge.

Edit: My rough estimates put both Shift keys at about the same size under this solution.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

Boomzilla Doesn't Get It.

@Onyx said:

\ / | is just above the right Shift. Never found it being a problem to use.

If that's where you're used to it being, sure. But it's always been above ENTER for me.

@Onyx said:

Almost every keyboard I ever owned had a big ENTER. I'm used to it being a big target and just flailing in it's general direction. Force of habit mostly, I guess.

OTOH, your "big" ENTER is narrower than a typical ENTER on a US keyboard. So I'm used to it being a big target in its row and you're used to it being a big target along the side.

@Onyx said:

I understand that you might want a bigger Shift, but if you get the large one you completely lose one key, as opposed to \ just moving down one row. Those people never had to deal with HTML / XML on a daily basis.

None of that stuff translates to people used to US keyboards.

• BINNED

@accalia said:

i'm guessing BDGI

That would mean @boomzilla started to refer to himself in third person. So he either got it from you, or being a mod has gotten to his head.

@abarker said:

Or you could just make the left Shift bigger, the right shift smaller, and put < / > next to the right Shift instead. I mean, that right Shift is huge.

Whatever, just let me have my key!

@boomzilla said:

None of that stuff translates to people used to US keyboards.

Pretty sure I saw the same thing on US layout keyboards. Then again, I have to suffer through this QWERTZ nonsense so...

• @Onyx said:

Then again, I have to suffer through this QWERTZ nonsense so...

If you say so ...

• FoxDev

@Onyx said:

That would mean @boomzilla started to refer to himself in third person. So he either got it from you, or being a mod has gotten to his head.

well.... I only do it occasionally, or when referring to myself as separate from myself makes sense; like when i'm dropping the persona (or assuming a new one) for a post to make a point...

but mostly @accalia refers to me in the third person when she thinks it would be funny to. Unfortunately my sense of what is funny and what isn't does not map cleanly to conventional standards.

Edit: I really should have tried harder to work the pronoun I into that last paragraph. I could probably wedge it in there but i think it's tortured enough as it is.

• I wouldn't have a problem if the extra keys crowded Right Shift as I never ever use Right Shift. I'd have a heck of a time with a small Left Shift though, judging from the wear marks it seems my pinky likes to hit it on the very rightmost edge.

• That was annoying to read:

• BINNED

@abarker said:

If you say so ...

That was just the first image I found on GIS.

This is the layout I get around here:

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

It was a play on JDGI.

@Onyx said:

Pretty sure I saw the same thing on US layout keyboards.

This is what I'm used to in that region of the keyboard:

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

This is the layout I get around here:

Oh, also, I've never seen "Alt Gr" on a keyboard in the US, nor heard an American refer to the right Alt as "Alt Gr" except when talking to non-Americans. IME, only pinball games use a left or right control type keys differently from their counterparts on the other side.

• FoxDev

they're never bound that way by default but there are a few games that i map actions to the bucky bits that differ on left vs right keys

but that's just me doing the mapping because it works better for me that way.

• We used to have a couple of those in the office, on our lab/testing systems. I could generally type just fine as long as I didn't look at the keyboard, if I looked down my fingers would stumple and parts of my brain would seize up. The layout didn't match the keys the OS detected. Looked like QWERTZ, but acted like QWERTY.

Someone finally went around and threw them away.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

It was a play on JDGI.

Well... woosh. I really need to start getting more sleep it seems, my brain seems to start shutting down at 8 PM these days.

@boomzilla said:

Yeah, I know those keyboards. As a matter of personal preference, I still go for the big Enter. And I actually use the US layout unless I really need to use Croatian diacritics. Programming on that layout is a major pain.

@boomzilla said:

Oh, also, I've never seen "Alt Gr" on a keyboard in the US, nor heard an American refer to the right Alt as "Alt Gr" except when talking to non-Americans. IME, only pinball games use a left or right control type keys differently from their counterparts on the other side.

From what I read somewhere, right Alt and Alt Gr (alternate graphics? graphemes?) are actually completely different beasts, with the latter one being a major pain, apparently.

• :belt_onion:

@Eldelshell said:

@Maciejasjmj said:
    sort_by_year'; DROP TABLE YEARS; --_p1.json?

Didn't work, and yes, I tried it.

Clearly it should have been sort_by_year';DROP_TABLE_YEARS;--p1.json?
    Thanks Dicsourse, for correcting a RANDOM SET OF UNDERLINES to italics.... how can it not do either ALL OR NONE... but ONE random set? WTF.

[code]
    sort_by_year';DROP_TABLE_YEARS;--p1.json
    [/code]
    There. Dicsourse is just so fscking terrible.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

I still go for the big Enter.

I submit that your Enter is "tall" and mine is "fat." They seem to have similar areas.

@Onyx said:

From what I read somewhere, right Alt and Alt Gr (alternate graphics? graphemes?) are actually completely different beasts, with the latter one being a major pain, apparently.

Yeah, my understanding is that it's commonly used like some sort of compose key or something. I'd check my uses-a-written-language-without-extra-letter-squiggles privilege, but that's not a thing I do.

• @boomzilla said:

My experience is similar, except I don't use laptop's much, so I get Backspace instead of Delete

oh hell, i'm way off topic now.

• ♿ (Parody)

Ugh...I think GIS gave me an apple thing. Didn't notice that, but, yeah, I always have Backspace there.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

I submit that your Enter is "tall" and mine is "fat." They seem to have similar areas.

Whatever. I prefer the deformed one.

@boomzilla said:

Yeah, my understanding is that it's commonly used like some sort of compose key or something. I'd check my uses-a-written-language-without-extra-letter-squiggles privilege, but that's not a thing I do.

The red characters in that image I posted are accessed by using Alt Gr. As you can see, brackets are loads of fun!

Also, I encountered software that considered it as a regular Alt (I think it was Game Maker [shut up, I was learning shit!]) that had shit bound to Alt + B...

@boomzilla said:

I used to prefer the tall & fat enter key, but now either one is fine. Although I do still occasionally key a \ while trying to hit the enter key.

• Didn't work either. I hope they're not watching the logs 😟

dang.

Though with a page naming scheme THAT poor, there's zero chance it's actually dynamically doing anything. Guaranteed that it's just a bunch of static pages with the same SQL copy-pasta in each, except with a different ORDER BY and LIMIT / TOP / START clause.

edit - I also bet that when the amount of pages to return tops the number of hardwired static results pages they have, someone has to call them up and ask for them to add more.

• Pretty sure that's a dumb Enter

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@mott555 said:

At the time they were the only manufacturer of no-frills wireless mechanical keyboards with Cherry Brown (read: safe for office eardrums) switches.

Lots of others do now. I have a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, and IIRC you can get that with all four regular Cherry types. Ducky keyboards do that too.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Onyx said:

Never found it being a problem to use.

I find it harder to hit than what I consider the normal place, which is what would be the top half of the enter key in that picture.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Speaking of URIs, I found this gem. This isn't anonymized in the slightest.

<cffunction name="findViewByPath" access="private" returnType="struct">
    		<cfargument name="requestedPath" type="string" required="true">
    		<cfscript>

var s = arguments.requestedPath;
    			var m = false;
    			var c = 50;
    			var retStruct = {};

while (m EQ false) {
    				if(structKeyExists(variables.views, s)){
    					m = true;
    				} else {
    					s = replace(s, listLast(s, '/') & '/', '');
    				};
    				c -= 1;
    				if(c LTE 1 OR s EQ '') break;
    			};

retStruct.hasMatch = m;
    			retStruct.view = s;
    			retStruct.metaData = '';
    			if(s NEQ '') retStruct.metaData = replace(arguments.requestedPath, s, '');

return retStruct;
    		</cfscript> 
    	</cffunction>

Our js guys think this pattern is awesome. We're probably moving from CF to Node.js so they can write more awesome code like this. Isn't it awesome?!

I'm going to need more rum.

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said:

i have a bottle of '52 mulled that needs drinking... that codes almost enough to make me want your address so i can mail it to you cause you need it more than I do (and my poison of choice is Vodka anyway)

• @Yamikuronue said:

• You gotta love ColdFussion, I mean, even the name gives you an idea of the amount of WTF you're going to be seeing: XML, Pseudo-JavaScript, literal operators.

• @Eldelshell said:

You gotta love ColdFussion,

Is that when you complain about ColdFusion?