Steam, again, for the billionth time

• One of my biggest gripes about installing games on Steam is the super-long modal "pre-allocating disk space" dialog you can't close or skip or anything. For bigger games, it takes fucking forever.

Today I decided to check-out The Evil Within demo, and found out something very interesting:

Look at the download's status on the right-hand side. It's... pre-allocating? You mean... the Steam client is 100% perfectly capable of doing the pre-allocation in a non-modal way? Has it always been able to do this?!

#SO WHY THE FUCK IS THE DIALOG MODAL! WHY DOES THAT DIALOG EVEN EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Why does it automatically do the pre-allocation in a non-modal way for demos, but not for games you actually paid money for? This raises SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Goddamned, Valve, you people are fucking terrible at writing applications.

• Correction: Kuro has pointed out to me that you can play games while the "pre-allocation" dialog is up, you just can't queue new games to install while one is being "pre-allocated".

Except demos, which are special and work fine. Somehow.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.