WTFs dating hunters in Nebraska (because nobody cares about the Nashville Predators)

• Is that in a restricted category or am I just experiencing Discourse?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Sorry, you don't have access to that topic!

• Works fine on my system!

though it may or may not be a PM that has nothing to do with anything

• It was 3.1 ounces or something wasn't it?

I agree, the only time I ever check stuff is if I'm going for a long time and it's a direct flight or if I'm carrying a large (heavy) number of tools. If they don't get there, it's the company's problem to air mail me replacements.

The last time I flew to SFO was one of those air lines that charges for checked bags now. Everyone was carrying everything on and they ran out of overhead space really early.

Then there's Mexico where people seem to bring the entire contents of their homes with them. I've never seen more small children towing rolling suitcases bigger than themselves anywhere else.

• @smallshellscript said:

It was 3.1 ounces or something wasn't it?

Something like that. The TSA agent clearly wasn't happy either, no sane person thinks toothpaste is a dangerous substance but laws are laws and the TSA gets a lot of scrutiny these days.

• One is for the proles to keep them fat and lazy and out of everyone's hair and the other is only for the truly elite connoisseurs (damn that's hard to spell when you've only had one cup of coffee) who really have been spending too much time here.

• And one doesn't exist. :trollface:

• I know. I'm always very very polite to them, even if they're being dicks since I have no way of knowing how their day is going but I have seen people be complete and utter assholes to them for no real reason.

They can also make my life quite uncomfortable if they decide to really give me grief.

• On that particular trip, I even got randomly selected to get swabbed for explosives residue on my return flight. Had me worried because I'm a raging redneck who tends to plink at bottles and cans in my free time, and at that time in my life there was about a 95% chance I'd have gunpowder residue on me somewhere.

Nothing happened. I have no idea if their test picked anything up, or if they didn't care to investigate further.

• I'm not convinced those swabs do anything. I think it's all (undoubtedly expensive) theater. They swabbed my laptop once but she did it in such a cursory way that there can't possibly have picked up anything, had there been something to find.

I work for a Li-Ion battery manufacturer. I shudder to think what they'd find on me if I'd had to be crawling around int the abuse bunkers recently.

@mott555 said:

Nothing happened. I have no idea if their test picked anything up, or if they didn't care to investigate further.

You obviously had less than the maximum allowable number of bullets with you.

@mott555 said:

Hunting is very necessary for population control,

You didn't even mention the places out east where disallowing deer hunting has allowed the population to explode, leading to a huge rise in car vs deer accidents.

@mott555 said:

Entirely defenseless is not accurate

This is some pretty bad trolling they're doing.

Even deer aren't defenseless, as anyone who's ever seen video of a deer attacking someone knows.

• @FrostCat said:

car vs deer accidents.

Modern deer are tougher than modern cars! I was with a friend when he hit a buck doing 55 mph on the highway. Air bags went off, the A/C radiator was busted, and the front end crumpled just enough that my passenger-side door wouldn't open and I had to crawl out the window. But the deer got up, sprinted across the rest of the road, hopped a fence into a nearby field, and ran off.

• Fake News

@FrostCat said:

This is some pretty bad trolling they're doing.

Even deer aren't defenseless, as anyone who's ever seen video of a deer attacking someone knows.

So wait, guys sprays himself with buck scent when the label on that bottle does warn about possibly provoking an attack, then gets kicked around by jealous buck. WTF…

@JBert said:

guys sprays himself

What, you actually watched more of the video than the deer kicking him and/or read the description? I didn't, because deer will do that even if you're not urine-soaked.

• @smallshellscript said:

Ah the unicorn burger. So much tastier because they're rare.

Have your unicorn steaks rare if you like, but burgers should always be cooked thoroughly to prevent food-borne illness.

• Sometimes tasty wins vs slightly elevated risk.

• @mott555 said:

he hit a buck doing 55 mph on the highway.

I didn't think deer could run that fast.

• Don't you already have the pedantry badges?

• Count matters for getting the upper ones, he is just trying to move up the rankings.

1. If you consider this pedantry, it's of the spellar/gramming variety. I don't have that badge.
    2. It takes 25 Knight Pedantic Dickweed of the Most Honorable Order of Bath badges to become a Margrave Pedantic Dickweed of the Most Perverse Order of the Purple Dildo. I have two.

• Well I see another reason of how that could have a bearing on something.

If you like shooting animals, then you will naturally want that shooting them be good (otherwise you'll have an uncomfortable moral dilemma). And when you have to decide if something is true or false, but WANT the outcome to be either, you're much much more likely to be biased about it.

So TLDR: having a personal interest in something makes you much more likely to be wrong about it. That's what he was implying happened. I don't agree with him by the way. Or with you. Moron.

• @JBert said:

guys sprays himself with buck scent

Sprays his mouth. Why the hell does he spray it in his mouth?

I really don't want to google what that "scent" is made of.

• @anonymous234 said:

Sprays his mouth. Why the hell does he spray it in his mouth?

Probably watches too much Bear Grylls.

• Fake News

I've seen that he sprayed it in his mouth, but I don't want to think too much about it. I believe the guy also said it contained urine.

• You only tell yourself you respect wildlife because you think you're doing them a favour by killing them. To enjoy hunting is to enjoy ending a life. Sure, overpopulation/disease/etc are problems, but do you really think it was an issue before humans started fucking with nature by putting up our cities and roads? We are responsible for managing their numbers now because nature can't take care of itself anymore.

• Fun fact: The vast majority of species that have ever existed are extinct, and that happened long before we started building cities and roads.

Nature includes man. Animals kill animals, man kills animals.

• I don't expect despicable humans beings to understand why they are bad people.

Seriously? They can "run and hide"? Your position would be hilarious if it weren't so depressing. How many humans are killed by animals, vs how many animals are killed (intentionally, for sport) by humans? Humans being gored/eaten/etc is just karma.

• @aapis said:

I don't expect despicable humans beings to understand why they are bad people.

Go away you disgusting elf!

• Right, so because things used to exist and don't any more that means hunting is ok? No, it means that nature was pretty good at self-moderation.

Except we are not just animals, we are animals who hunt other animals with all manner of OP weapons. We're the kid on CoD whose pistol shoots rockets.

• @aapis said:

Humans being gored/eaten/etc is just karma.

Right, that's the way of the universe. Cats don't ever hunt except for food, and they never play with their prey, exulting in their power. Only the universe kills despicable humans, as they deserve for killing the perfect animals of nature almighty!

• @aapis said:

You only tell yourself you respect wildlife because you think you're doing them a favour by killing them. To enjoy hunting is to enjoy ending a life. Sure, overpopulation/disease/etc are problems, but do you really think it was an issue before humans started fucking with nature by putting up our cities and roads? We are responsible for managing their numbers now because nature can't take care of itself anymore.

So you'd rather manage the human population then? And we'll just get rid of all that pesky technology and all those human artifacts that're screwing up nature. Would you like that?

FYI, many aboriginal tribes did (and still do) hunt animals. And most aboriginal tribes were very respectful of wildlife.

• @aapis said:

You only tell yourself you respect wildlife because you think you're doing them a favour by killing them. To enjoy hunting is to enjoy ending a life.

Also, you're making an assumption here. I challenge you to figure out what your assumption was before reading my spoiler below.

[spoiler]I never said I've been hunting. Because I've never been hunting. But I can respect the people who enjoy hunting.[/spoiler]

• @abarker said:

Also, you're making an buttumption here. I challenge you to figure out what your buttumption was before reading my spoiler below.

FTFY

• HULK CENSORS FOR NO BODY!!!

• @aapis said:

Seriously? They can "run and hide"?

It works. I've actually got a very low success rate for bagging anything on hunting trips. Wildlife is surprisingly stealthy when they don't want to be found.

• @aapis said:

How many humans are killed by animals, vs how many animals are killed (intentionally, for sport) by humans?

Most wildlife do not survive the winter. The ones that get hunted have it easy. The ones that don't starve to death, die of thirst, die of cold and exposure, get eaten by other wildlife, get hit by cars, or if they're in that very lucky 10% or so they'll survive to breed the next spring.

7mm Remington Magnum is far more humane than getting torn apart by coyotes.

• That's the most terrifying machine I've ever seen. It has high potential for sudden painful death. I've driven plenty of tractors, no way would I drive one like that, even with a good harness and roll-over protection.

• @mott555 said:

95% chance I'd have gunpowder residue on me somewhere

I don't think they care about gunpowder, they're looking for explosives and they use nitrogen as a proxy. So if you're a raging redneck farmer, don't wallow in your fertiliser before boarding.

• @mott555 said:

Most wildlife do not survive the winter. The ones that get hunted have it easy. The ones that don't starve to death, die of thirst, die of cold and exposure, get eaten by other wildlife, get hit by cars, or if they're in that very lucky 10% or so they'll survive to breed the next spring.

7mm Remington Magnum is far more humane than getting torn apart by coyotes.

Citation please. It sounds like the most spurious piece of bullshit I've heard in a long time. You're doing them a favour huh?

All this "oh cats toy with food therefore that's natural and therefore it's ok for me to". Firstly, they do it to train their reflexes for hunting, which they need to do to survive. You, on the other hand, do not. Secondly, lions will kill cubs to put female lions in heat. They'll kill juveniles of their own species. Does that make it natural and ok for humans? No of course it doesn't. Utter bollocks of an argument. You don't need to kill them. You're doing it for nothing but fun. So the question is: what sort of fun?

Is it the sadistic, psychopathic pleasure of ending a life? Or the childish enjoyment of power and loud bangs that you enjoy? In which case, go clay pigeon shooting. Or do you claim it's a challenge? In which case take a bow and arrows and make it a proper challenge, not the supersonic, precision-engineered bullshit excuse for one.

If it's just enjoying the great outdoors as you say then take a camera instead of a gun and enjoy the fruits of your 'hunts' for a lifetime.

And, before you say, this isn't trolling. I find it pitiful that an otherwise intelligent person can give such nonsense excuses for needless cruelty and then probably sit back and feel superior at people that point out that it is utter bullshit because the alternative would be to contemplate opening the doors to the waves of guilt for all the needless suffering that he has caused over the years. Far better for your conscience to go "la la la, you're wrong, it's population control, they have a fighting chance, it's natural. they kill too, la la la, I'm not listening" and not question for a millisecond any of your self-justifying assumptions.

So I read your "woe is me it's so complicated and expensive to get a license to be a sadist" and I can't help but think "good".

• I just brought up cats to mess with the elf. I don't care at all about the actual content of this thread. If it's going to say 'it's only okay if you eat it all' it's never had a cat.

• I emailed the guy operating the website about this thread.

• @XanderTheGamer said:

I emailed the guy operating the website about this thread.

Um, why?

• So they could do something about the issues.

• Oh dear. That's lovely, I miss seeing that level of hopefulness in people. Hang around here, I guarantee that feeling will be beaten out of you with extreme prejudice.

• @XanderTheGamer said:

I emailed the guy operating the website about this thread.

@XanderTheGamer said:
    So they could do something about the issues

The operator of the Nebraska Game and Parks site or thedailywtf.com? If we're to judge how insane hopeful you are I think we need to know which.

• @Arantor said:

Hang around here, I guarantee that feeling will be beaten out of you with extreme prejudice.

To be fair, I think that will happen almost anywhere on the internet. Here it will be done more eruditely and with more edification than most other places (extreme prejudice notwithstanding).

• Most places on the internet are not nearly as brutal as this community can be.

• Oh yeah. Beaten out as if by a malfunctioning flagellatron that's calibration is off and doesn't know when to stop and its rusty hinges squeal with every thrash: Merciless and brutal but melancholy in a way and without malice.

But, that said, I haven't had the vitriolic replies I was expecting to my probably quite inflammatory post above. Maybe the Superbowl's on.