Unicode making life difficult. Again.

• @RaceProUK said:

All that instead of simply making emoji yellow, because then they'd look like the Simpsons, and no-one would complain.

I very rarely like the emoticon images, and usually try to avoid them coming up :P.

If they wanted Matt Groening's emoticonnery, why not @Zoidberg?

• Hey, boys and girls. It's Zoidberg, the loveable tramp.

• @anonymous234 said:

Colours in Unicode. That's THE line that they weren't supposed to cross.

Well, now that they jumped the shark, they can finally implement some of my proposals, like characters for italic, bold or underlined text, characters that control the text's position in the screen... The possibilities are endless!

And then it's only a small step to...the return of the <blink> tag!

• If only we had "UTD" and "DTU" (Up to down, down to up) too, we could give any text pretty shapes. By combining those, the color-picker characters and good old block characters, we could finally reproduce all Piet Mondrian paintings in plain text!

• @another_sam said:

You choose to use MySQL

After all it's Oracle now too so one should kinda expect it to do the same kind of sh*tโ€ฆ

• @anonymous234 said:

like characters for italic, bold or underlined text

They ๐’…๐’ have characters for ๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘–๐‘, ๐›๐จ๐ฅ๐, uฬฒnฬฒdฬฒeฬฒrฬฒlฬฒiฬฒnฬฒeฬฒdฬฒยน and also ๐••๐• ๐•ฆ๐•“๐•๐•–๐•ค๐•ฅ๐•ฃ๐•ฆ๐•”๐•œ,
    ๐”ฃ๐”ฏ๐”ž๐”จ๐”ฑ๐”ฒ๐”ฏ and ๐“ˆ๐’ธ๐“‡๐’พ๐“…๐“‰.

[spoiler](that line is supposed to render like "They do have characters for italic, bold, underlined and also doublestruck, fractur and script"; the later three should render in appropriate font, but as discourse won't pass style and as I don't know what font to select just imagine they are rendered in appropriate fonts.)[/spoiler]ยฒ

These exist because there is a context where font used does have semantic meaning: mathematics. They first added some special-font characters that are used for some common objects in mathematics or physics like โ„œ or โ„Ž, which is even called U+210E PLANCK CONSTANT (though Planck constant is actually named with plain h, because single-letter mathematics entities are always typeset in italics). And one day they realized it is silly and added the rest to complete basic latin alphabet in each script.

ยน Ok, that just uses a combining underline as does dฬณoฬณuฬณbฬณlฬณeฬณuฬณnฬณdฬณeฬณrฬณlฬณiฬณnฬณeฬณ, oฬ…vฬ…eฬ…rฬ…lฬ…iฬ…nฬ…eฬ… and oฬถvฬถeฬถrฬถsฬถtฬถrฬถiฬถkฬถeฬถ.

ยฒ [spoiler]Hell, discourse won't even let me make things <small>, so I am making them [spoiler] instead...[/spoiler]

• They did render fine in Chromium at least. Now, how did you do that fraktur thing? Never seen it. More characters. That's nice.

• ๐Ÿšฝ Regular

At least on this particular Mint 17 machine with the fonts I have installed, they render fine in Firefox 33 too:

In Chromium italic and bold are slightly smaller than the rest of the characters:

• @anonymous234 said:

If only we had "UTD" and "DTU" (Up to down, down to up) too, we could give any text pretty shapes. By combining those, the color-picker characters and good old block characters, we could finally reproduce all Piet Mondrian paintings in plain text!

If they're just going to add skin colors, you won't have the right palette. I propose they add the 256-color VGA palette.

• โ™ฟ (Parody)

@Buddy said:

I just think it'd be nice if you do a minimum of research before saying things like that.

Um...what?

Some wind just knocked all the papers off my desk.

• FoxDev

@Buddy said:

Um
    [some generic eye candy]
    [some generic douche]
    I just think it'd be nice if you do a minimum of research before saying things like that.

http://www.lnt.com/photos/product/standard/6156980S7991/humor/what-are-you-smoking-funny-tin-sign.jpg

• @marinus said:

I propose they add the 256-color VGA palette.

Too 1980's. Why not go straight for 32-bit color?

• @mott555 said:

Too 1980's. Why not go straight for 32-bit color?

Not enough code points.

• @marinus said:

Not enough code points.

If you want to screw up decoders really badly, just add a code point that says that the next three (four) bytes are to be interpreted as a RGB(A)-color.

If you want to be a bit nicer, you could probably add code points that correspond to Red=0 ... Red=255, and a different for Green = 0 .. Green=255. That's just three or four times 256 code points.

For extra fun, do this for RGB(A), sRGB, YUV and a few different color spaces.

• @cvi said:

you could probably add code points that correspond to Red=0 ... Red=255, and a different for Green = 0 .. Green=255.

They already do something similar for flags.
    ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ

• @cvi said:

If you want to be a bit nicer, you could probably add code points that correspond to Red=0 ... Red=255, and a different for Green = 0 .. Green=255. That's just three or four times 256 code points.

This is probably the least insane way to do it. It even fits with the rest of the scheme, sort of. Now, where's that evil ideas thread?

• We could call it Discode.

• FoxDev

i know i'v e posted that one here a couple of times by now.....

• @marinus said:

This is probably the least insane way to do it. It even fits with the rest of the scheme, sort of. Now, where's that evil ideas thread?

But since we're talking unicode, they'd probably make this a set of combining characters, so that the color specification changes the preceding thingy - contrary to every other system that has ever existed.

Besides, how long until somebody wants to be able to use different colors in a single code point? Eugh.

• @cvi said:

Besides, how long until somebody wants to be able to use different colors in a single code point? Eugh.

You know, I just wanted to suggest to use the codepoints several times, and apply them to different parts of the glyph (skin, hair, eyes, lips...).

• @cvi said:

how long until somebody wants to be able to use different colors in a single code point?

+1 Yes, I can even think of a use case for it. Which way ๐Ÿ”€ ๐Ÿ”„ is the evil ideas thread?

• @Zemm said:

Missing blondes, rangas, and albinos. Five skin tones is clearly not enough.

You should be able to set a skin opacity value. And a hue. Maybe some YUV+alpha parameterization?

• @anonymous234 said:

If only we had "UTD" and "DTU" (Up to down, down to up) too, we could give any text pretty shapes.

Needs moar degrees (or radians).

• $ unifont The Dicsourse Firefox jumps over the fat and lazy $DIETY.
    Double-Struck: ๐•‹๐•™๐•– ๐”ป๐•š๐•”๐•ค๐• ๐•ฆ๐•ฃ๐•ค๐•– ๐”ฝ๐•š๐•ฃ๐•–๐•—๐• ๐•ฉ ๐•›๐•ฆ๐•ž๐•ก๐•ค ๐• ๐•ง๐•–๐•ฃ ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐•—๐•’๐•ฅ ๐•’๐•Ÿ๐•• ๐•๐•’๐•ซ๐•ช $๐”ป๐•€๐”ผ๐•‹๐•.
    Monospace: ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐™ณ๐š’๐šŒ๐šœ๐š˜๐šž๐š›๐šœ๐šŽ ๐™ต๐š’๐š›๐šŽ๐š๐š˜๐šก ๐š“๐šž๐š–๐š™๐šœ ๐š˜๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š› ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐šŠ๐š ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š•๐šŠ๐šฃ๐šข $๐™ณ๐™ธ๐™ด๐šƒ๐šˆ.
    Sans-Serif: ๐–ณ๐—๐–พ ๐–ฃ๐—‚๐–ผ๐—Œ๐—ˆ๐—Ž๐—‹๐—Œ๐–พ ๐–ฅ๐—‚๐—‹๐–พ๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‘ ๐—ƒ๐—Ž๐—†๐—‰๐—Œ ๐—ˆ๐—๐–พ๐—‹ ๐—๐—๐–พ ๐–ฟ๐–บ๐— ๐–บ๐—‡๐–ฝ ๐—…๐–บ๐—“๐—’ $๐–ฃ๐–จ๐–ค๐–ณ๐–ธ.
    Sans-Serif Italic: ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜‹๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜น ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ด ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ป๐˜บ $๐˜‹๐˜๐˜Œ๐˜›๐˜ .
    Sans-Serif Bold: ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐——๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐˜€๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—™๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐˜… ๐—ท๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฝ๐˜€ ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ณ๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜‡๐˜† $๐——๐—œ๐—˜๐—ง๐—ฌ.
    Sans-Serif Bold Italic: ๐™๐™๐™š ๐˜ฟ๐™ž๐™˜๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง๐™จ๐™š ๐™๐™ž๐™ง๐™š๐™›๐™ค๐™ญ ๐™Ÿ๐™ช๐™ข๐™ฅ๐™จ ๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™›๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ก๐™–๐™ฏ๐™ฎ $๐˜ฟ๐™„๐™€๐™๐™”.
    Script: ๐’ฏ ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’Ÿ ๐’พ๐’ธ๐“ˆโ„ด๐“Š๐“‡๐“ˆ๐‘’ โ„ฑ ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’ปโ„ด๐“ ๐’ฟ๐“Š๐“‚๐“…๐“ˆ โ„ด๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ป๐’ถ๐“‰ ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“๐’ถ๐“๐“Ž $๐’Ÿ โ„ โ„ฐ ๐’ฏ ๐’ด .
    Italic: ๐‘‡h๐‘’ ๐ท๐‘–๐‘๐‘ ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐น๐‘–๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘ฅ ๐‘—๐‘ข๐‘š๐‘๐‘  ๐‘œ๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘กh๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘ง๐‘ฆ $๐ท๐ผ๐ธ๐‘‡๐‘Œ.
    Bold: ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐ƒ๐ข๐œ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐ž ๐…๐ข๐ซ๐ž๐Ÿ๐จ๐ฑ ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฌ ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ๐š๐ญ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐š๐ณ๐ฒ $๐ƒ๐ˆ๐„๐“๐˜.
    Bold Italic: ๐‘ป๐’‰๐’† ๐‘ซ๐’Š๐’„๐’”๐’๐’–๐’“๐’”๐’† ๐‘ญ๐’Š๐’“๐’†๐’‡๐’๐’™ ๐’‹๐’–๐’Ž๐’‘๐’” ๐’๐’—๐’†๐’“ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’‡๐’‚๐’• ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐’๐’‚๐’›๐’š $๐‘ซ๐‘ฐ๐‘ฌ๐‘ป๐’€.
    Fraktur: ๐”— ๐”ฅ๐”ข ๐”‡ ๐”ฆ๐” ๐”ฐ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐”ฏ๐”ฐ๐”ข ๐”‰ ๐”ฆ๐”ฏ๐”ข๐”ฃ๐”ฌ๐”ต ๐”ง๐”ฒ๐”ช๐”ญ๐”ฐ ๐”ฌ๐”ณ๐”ข๐”ฏ ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ๐”ข ๐”ฃ๐”ž๐”ฑ ๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ก ๐”ฉ๐”ž๐”ท๐”ถ $๐”‡ โ„‘ ๐”ˆ ๐”— ๐”œ .
    Bold Fraktur: ๐•ฟ ๐–๐–Š ๐•ฏ ๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–˜๐–”๐–š๐–—๐–˜๐–Š ๐•ฑ ๐–Ž๐–—๐–Š๐–‹๐–”๐– ๐–๐–š๐–’๐–•๐–˜ ๐–”๐–›๐–Š๐–— ๐–™๐–๐–Š ๐–‹๐–†๐–™ ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–‘๐–†๐–Ÿ๐–ž $๐•ฏ ๐•ด ๐•ฐ ๐•ฟ ๐–„ .

• Hey guys, no fair, stuck on a frickin' XP machine for the next couple of weeks and I can't see the fun you're having.

Bonus points: surprisingly many websites are broken even with current Chrome on XP but they use Unicode characters for glyphs and shizzle.

• @Arantor said:

Hey guys, no fair, stuck on a frickin' XP machine for the next couple of weeks and I can't see the fun you're having.

That's the beauty with text based things: it's your imagination that makes it awesome!

I'll screenshot tomorrow. It seems my sofa laptop is quite font deprived...

Like for "glyphs and shizzle"

• @cvi said:

how long until somebody wants to be able to use different colors in a single code point?

At last, I can have my rainbow font...

• @boomzilla said:

Um...what?

@RaceProUK said:

What are you smoking?

I'm super willing for someone to explain to me why I'm an idiot for believing that articleโ€”the idea that Miley Cyrus and some douche from MTV could change Unicode has really been bothering me.

• @ender said:

๐Ÿ“ถ

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Arantor said:

Bonus points: surprisingly many websites are broken even with current Chrome on XP but they use Unicode characters for glyphs and shizzle.

Uh, even on Win8, Chrome is really bad at displaying Unicode characters.

• @OffByOne said:

Monospaceโ€ฆ
    Sans-Serifโ€ฆ

๐”š๐”—๐”‰?

I understand bold (used for vectors), doublestruck, fraktur and script (used for some complex objects). I kind of understand italic (and bold italic); all variables are normally typeset in italic, so it allows distinguishing variables in text. But "MATHEMATICAL MONOSPACE"? Mathematicians name things with single letters; there is not much that would make monospace different on single letter and for technical stuff it is not sufficient as it only has latin letters and not punctuation. And "MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF"? At time when sans-serif is progressively more, like, the default?

• [size=40]๐Ÿ“ถ[/size]

• Fake News

@ben_lubar said:

It shows fine in your URL bar.

Closed as: WONTFIX.

• @Arantor said:

Hey guys, no fair, stuck on a frickin' XP machine for the next couple of weeks and I can't see the fun you're having.

Here, have a screenshot:

• @smallshellscript said:

At last, I can have my rainbow font...

Tread carefully... From there you're just one "Discourse is rainbows!" away from a Jeff-approved font.

Imagine the horror of a font where not only :( stands for "frowning", but with about 32K of lolcat glyphs.

• @boomzilla said:

Some wind just knocked all the papers off my desk.

Eat less beans.

• โ™ฟ (Parody)

@Buddy said:

I'm super willing for someone to explain to me why I'm an idiot for believing that articleโ€”the idea that Miley Cyrus and some douche from MTV could change Unicode has really been bothering me.

Thank you, that was the context I needed. I think that if we can keep the activism of that sort of person to this sort of thing it's a net win for sanity in the world.

• FoxDev

I'm surprised it got 0 results.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@OffByOne said:

Here, have a screenshot:

• FoxDev

what the.....?

what system are you on?

That's how mine looks too. Chrome on Win 8.1.

• FoxDev

on FFS Chrome.....You are allowed to use more than one font to render the page.... and i know i have those glyphs in one of my fonts on this system! (i just scrolled up to fing the original on my win7 work system)

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

yeah, Chrome on Win 7.

• โ™ฟ (Parody)

Mine looks like @OffByOne here with Chrome on linux. I've made it a point to install a lot of fonts in order to see all the pretty glyphs we play with around here.

Hmm...it seems like chrome support has improved. I think that it's now displaying more than it used to. Or I just tested the wrong ranges.

• @boomzilla said:

I've made it a point to install a lot of fonts in order to see all the pretty glyphs we play with around here.

Same here, at least on this machine.

If anyone knows an easy way of looking up which font FF uses to render certain glyphs, I don't mind making a list of the fonts that are used in the above screenshot.

@OffByOne said:

$ unifont The Dicsourse Firefox jumps over the fat and lazy $DEITY.
    Double-Struck: ๐•‹๐•™๐•– ๐”ป๐•š๐•”๐•ค๐• ๐•ฆ๐•ฃ๐•ค๐•– ๐”ฝ๐•š๐•ฃ๐•–๐•—๐• ๐•ฉ ๐•›๐•ฆ๐•ž๐•ก๐•ค ๐• ๐•ง๐•–๐•ฃ ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐•—๐•’๐•ฅ ๐•’๐•Ÿ๐•• ๐•๐•’๐•ซ๐•ช $๐”ป๐”ผ๐•€๐•‹๐•.
    Monospace: ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐™ณ๐š’๐šŒ๐šœ๐š˜๐šž๐š›๐šœ๐šŽ ๐™ต๐š’๐š›๐šŽ๐š๐š˜๐šก ๐š“๐šž๐š–๐š™๐šœ ๐š˜๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š› ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐šŠ๐š ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š•๐šŠ๐šฃ๐šข $๐™ณ๐™ด๐™ธ๐šƒ๐šˆ.
    Sans-Serif: ๐–ณ๐—๐–พ ๐–ฃ๐—‚๐–ผ๐—Œ๐—ˆ๐—Ž๐—‹๐—Œ๐–พ ๐–ฅ๐—‚๐—‹๐–พ๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‘ ๐—ƒ๐—Ž๐—†๐—‰๐—Œ ๐—ˆ๐—๐–พ๐—‹ ๐—๐—๐–พ ๐–ฟ๐–บ๐— ๐–บ๐—‡๐–ฝ ๐—…๐–บ๐—“๐—’ $๐–ฃ๐–ค๐–จ๐–ณ๐–ธ.
    Sans-Serif Italic: ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜‹๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜น ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ด ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ป๐˜บ $๐˜‹๐˜Œ๐˜๐˜›๐˜ .
    Sans-Serif Bold: ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐——๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐˜€๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—™๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐˜… ๐—ท๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฝ๐˜€ ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ณ๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜‡๐˜† $๐——๐—˜๐—œ๐—ง๐—ฌ.
    Sans-Serif Bold Italic: ๐™๐™๐™š ๐˜ฟ๐™ž๐™˜๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง๐™จ๐™š ๐™๐™ž๐™ง๐™š๐™›๐™ค๐™ญ ๐™Ÿ๐™ช๐™ข๐™ฅ๐™จ ๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™›๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ก๐™–๐™ฏ๐™ฎ $๐˜ฟ๐™€๐™„๐™๐™”.
    Script: ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐’ธ๐“ˆโ„ด๐“Š๐“‡๐“ˆ๐‘’ โ„ฑ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’ปโ„ด๐“ ๐’ฟ๐“Š๐“‚๐“…๐“ˆ โ„ด๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ป๐’ถ๐“‰ ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“๐’ถ๐“๐“Ž $๐’Ÿโ„ฐโ„๐’ฏ๐’ด.
    Italic: ๐‘‡h๐‘’ ๐ท๐‘–๐‘๐‘ ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐น๐‘–๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘ฅ ๐‘—๐‘ข๐‘š๐‘๐‘  ๐‘œ๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘กh๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘ง๐‘ฆ $๐ท๐ธ๐ผ๐‘‡๐‘Œ.
    Bold: ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐ƒ๐ข๐œ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐ž ๐…๐ข๐ซ๐ž๐Ÿ๐จ๐ฑ ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฌ ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ๐š๐ญ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐š๐ณ๐ฒ $๐ƒ๐„๐ˆ๐“๐˜.
    Bold Italic: ๐‘ป๐’‰๐’† ๐‘ซ๐’Š๐’„๐’”๐’๐’–๐’“๐’”๐’† ๐‘ญ๐’Š๐’“๐’†๐’‡๐’๐’™ ๐’‹๐’–๐’Ž๐’‘๐’” ๐’๐’—๐’†๐’“ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’‡๐’‚๐’• ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐’๐’‚๐’›๐’š $๐‘ซ๐‘ฌ๐‘ฐ๐‘ป๐’€.
    Fraktur: ๐”—๐”ฅ๐”ข ๐”‡๐”ฆ๐” ๐”ฐ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐”ฏ๐”ฐ๐”ข ๐”‰๐”ฆ๐”ฏ๐”ข๐”ฃ๐”ฌ๐”ต ๐”ง๐”ฒ๐”ช๐”ญ๐”ฐ ๐”ฌ๐”ณ๐”ข๐”ฏ ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ๐”ข ๐”ฃ๐”ž๐”ฑ ๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ก ๐”ฉ๐”ž๐”ท๐”ถ $๐”‡๐”ˆโ„‘๐”—๐”œ.
    Bold Fraktur: ๐•ฟ๐–๐–Š ๐•ฏ๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–˜๐–”๐–š๐–—๐–˜๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–Ž๐–—๐–Š๐–‹๐–”๐– ๐–๐–š๐–’๐–•๐–˜ ๐–”๐–›๐–Š๐–— ๐–™๐–๐–Š ๐–‹๐–†๐–™ ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–‘๐–†๐–Ÿ๐–ž $๐•ฏ๐•ฐ๐•ด๐•ฟ๐–„.

FTFY. (Damn you! Spell your variables correctly!)

@Bulb said:

But "MATHEMATICAL MONOSPACE"?

Mathematicians can often use a lot of symbols, and they're pathologically opposed to multi-character names, so they use a lot of fonts. (It makes it easier to spot a mathematician's code; it has single-letter names for things even where it makes no sense to do itโ€ฆ) Unicode being Unicode, they just imported the whole lot straight; I can sort of see why they did it (the differences in font encode semantic differences, unlike with normal typography) but the result still is nauseating.

I would have liked Mathematical Monospace when I was doing my postgrad researchโ€ฆ

• @dkf said:

Mathematicians can often use a lot of symbols

I did rather theoretical CS university and before that some extra physics at high school, so I am used to it. But everything I've seen did away with Latin (variables are always typeset italic), Greek, Hebrew and bold, doublestruck and script as font variants. Even fraktur was rare (it's difficult to distinguish in handwriting) though I've probably seen it a time or two. That's several hundred options already.

Besides in monospaced font some characters (usually those of 1 ex width, which is many of them) will look exactly like their proportional counterparts. So you can't tell them apart as single letters that mathematicians are so much set on.

• @dkf said:

FTFY. (Damn you! Spell your variables correctly!)

?

I worship low-fat milk, vegetables and modest food portions. Will you stay out of my religion please?

• @Shoreline said:

Eat lessfewer beans.
    FTFY

• @Bulb said:

I did rather theoretical CS university and before that some extra physics at high school, so I am used to it. But everything I've seen did away with Latin (variables are always typeset italic), Greek, Hebrew and bold, doublestruck and script as font variants.

A friend tried to use Japanese symbols in an exam, after the examiner of that course had claimed that it's ok to use any symbols as long as they make sense (this when questioned why he was switching symbols in the middle of an equation).

Long story short: the (one of the?) Japanese symbol(s) representing "small" is apparently not an acceptable replacement for ฮต.