This is apparently not a joke: http://www.nomorejavascript.com/

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Not exactly convenient, and it will not get you the full green address bar, but they will absolutely work for SSL certificates and the price is right.

• BINNED

Will look into it. Thanks.

Welcome. We have used them before just to get around the issue of end users and lack of cert causing the browser to freak out. Their cert request process is a total WTF all to itself, but the price is right at $0.

• They keep rewriting everything (and are doing so badly).
    Like, do they not do any testing proofreading?

This concept is difficult for some developers to grasp because they are more proud of the development that went into creating the affect then how it is actually interpreted by the end user.

• @delfinom said:

a*b is somehow returning data in the function without being assigned to anything?

Fairly natural behavior for a language where the expression, rather than the statement, is the fundamental brick.

• @cvi said:

FWIW, my hope would be that it's replaced with something closer to "bytecode" / a well defined virtual machine (obviously, I'm not referring to the JVM here).

Browsers should run ACPI bytecode. This would make prototyping rootkit sploits much easier.

• @Intercourse said:

bring back the reign of the JVM, the one true god. Everything should be Java. Everything.

No, all hail the reign of LLVM IR, the one true god. Everything should be LLVM. Everything.

• @flabdablet said:

Browsers should run <a href="http://wiki.osdev.org/AML">ACPI bytecode.</a> This would make prototyping rootkit sploits much easier.

Oh, yes.

The fact that I already knew of ACPI bytecode and had messed with it probably says something about the state of Linux on laptops a few years ago.

Filed under: Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 3 is quite nice.

• FoxDev

@cvi said:

Filed under: Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 3 is quite nice.

😊 it is... even if i'm embarrassed to admit it

• @accalia said:

😊 it is... even if i'm embarrassed to admit it

I dunno, it doesn't really replace my main work machine (which does run Linux).

But as a laptop replacement it's very nice. The pen is quite good - finally I can just bring a computer to take notes draw doodles in meetings. It can do presentations, and is sufficient for light work during travel. Windows with cygwin plus sloppy focus is relatively usable (unlike the have-it-our-way Mac OS).

• The stylus is the one thing that makes me unhappy with the Dell Venue 8 Pro I bought just under a year ago. Wonderful device, but the stylus cracked within the first day I had it, rendering it useful only if you're lucky. Plus, it's not a very accurate stylus.

• That sucks. 😕

The SP3 stylus feels pretty solid. I did read about some people having problems with the front bit getting loose, but mine has been holding up well so far. (IMO, the pen is probably among the top 3 features of the SP3 for me - which is not something I initially expected to happen.)

• Previously, I had a Vaio 2 Pro, and while the screen wasn't great and got damaged, the stylus was mostly metal and all awesome. Win8 has really great handwriting recognition.

• This post is deleted!

• <jared> The biggest problem with javascript is that you can't ignore javascript.

http://www.qdb.us/310459

• @Spencer said:

Just to muddy the waters a bit...my result, on Telstra in Australia no less.

They are probably talking about Telstra Mobile. I know Optus failed the port 80 test ("transparent" proxy obviously in the way) when using 3G on my phone, but I wouldn't expect that to happen when using a "real" connection.

• That was. Telstra 4G from my phone

• I was just going to leave them a nice comment, noticed that you could sign in with google instead of creating yet another account that I'll probably forget the login information for, so click the google button, accept the "show my basic information to this website", click "register" and... it tells me I forgot to enter a password? WTF? I thought I was signing in with Google, not creating another freaking account? So are you telling me the sign in just auto-filled my email?

And there "What if it was like this" - NO! What you are writing makes it MORE difficult to read, not easier, and whats it with all those crazy underscores that do nothing but slow me down? Camel Case FTW.

button_clicked '#btn_submit'(:alert => "button")

I mean what the hell does that even mean? I don't see how to even begin parsing that load of crap. At least you can see in the JS version that a handler is being created, and if you don't like inline functions you can do without them to make it more readable, but I prefer them as it makes for less typing.

• @Mole said:

button_clicked '#btn_submit'(:alert => "button")

dafuq?
    I can work out that :alert must be alert() and that "button" is probably the text being shown in the alert window, but using => to indicate that is fucking bizarre. I'd say that if there has to be an arrow, it should be indicating that the string is being applied to the :alert function, but then you have the "less than or equal to" operator, so maybe there shouldn't be any fucking arrows

• @Yamikuronue said:

You could write a static-typed compiled language that compiles down to minified javascript and use it today... that's probably been done though.

You mean something like TypeScript? Yup, that's been done.

7 days, 523 likes, I needed no convincing but these guys are going nowhere.

• 91 comments about the language on that web page.

220 comments here about the insanity on that web page.

I don't see it going anywhere.