Need Help with Office politics

• Hello everyone,

Long time lurker.Frist time poster.I'm stuck with a lot of wtf's at my work and I need some help and I think folks around here offer solid opinion on just about everything IT related.

I work in a team of about 20-25.A few developers.A few testers and one Team lead and Two managers.Is this already a WTF? I dont know. Anyways I have a few problems,problems that are just about everywhere.I know it is not unusual but I would like to hear your opinions on how to deal with it.

1. My Manager is a complete dumbfuck.Thinks he knows shit but does not . Constantly interrupts every developer every hour.Holds a scrum meeting in the morning for about an hour.Holds a mini scrum meeting every hour with each developer for about 7- 10 mins.Sometimes gets to personal insults on the developer's ability to do stuff.How do I tell him to fuck off?

2.My co-workers are complete shit.I am not an expert.I am not bragging here.I write decent code.I dont break old code.The Team leader acknowledges this and gives me code to work on that is critical.I work on them and my fellow developers fuck it up.How do I tell these gentlemen and ladies to pull their shit together?

I dont want to go the polite way.I have been polite with everybody for almost a year and nobody seems to listen.The same mistakes are made again and again and again and ...I am tired of this shit.

How should i basically be passive aggressive in this situation that I'm in ?

Would be glad to know what you've got to say about this.

P.S . Love reading all of your posts.Have learnt more from TDWTF than I have at my UNI.I am drunk and pissed.Want a quick solution.Sorry for the discoursistencies.This shit is hard to use.

EDIT : I have signed a legal contract to work for the company till next August.Leaving is out of the question right now :'(

• Leave. It is a toxic environment and it cannot be fixed.

• @stillwater said:

I work in a team of about 20-25.A few developers.A few testers and one Team lead and Two managers.Is this already a WTF?

So far no.

@stillwater said:

My Manager is a complete dumbfuck.Thinks he knows shit but does not . Constantly interrupts every developer every hour.Holds a scrum meeting in the morning for about an hour.Holds a mini scrum meeting every hour with each developer for about 7- 10 mins.Sometimes gets to personal insults on the developer's ability to do stuff.How do I tell him to fuck off?

If he wasn't a dumbfuck, you could tell him the parable of "context switching" in cooperative OSes like Mac Classic. (Yes, it sounds stupid, but it really goes get the concept of, "hey the more you interrupt me, the slower I work" across.) In good companies, you can just say the term "context switching" and people know what you're referring to and leave you the hell alone.

Since he is a dumbfuck, there's probably nothing you can do except:

1. Find a new job

2. Go over his head about the issue, and be prepared to find a new job afterwards

@stillwater said:

2.My co-workers are complete shit.I am not an expert.I am not bragging here.I write decent code.I dont break old code.The Team leader acknowledges this and gives me code to work on that is critical.I work on them and my fellow developers fuck it up.How do I tell these gentlemen and ladies to pull their shit together?

You can't without the support of management, and your management is a complete dumbfuck.

@stillwater said:

How should i basically be passive aggressive in this situation that I'm in ?

You shouldn't ever be passive aggressive. It's usually counter-productive.

You should prepare a presentation to management (over the dumbfuck's head) about why your current environment is not ideal, and how to improve it. You should include the numbers they care about, not just the ones you care about. (For example, "our unit test coverage is only 40%!": nobody gives a shit. "The cost of rework is approximately $50,000 in wasted salary a week": now you got their attention.)

If your manager's a dumbfuck, there's a high probability his manager is also a dumbfuck. In which case, you're back to: find a new job.

• @stillwater said:

Constantly interrupts every developer every hour.

But I'm with @lucas. Leave. If you can.

• I agree with Lucas (que no se haga una costumbre) if you're so burned, the best thing is to leave for greener pastures. Also, this could be a way of delivering your frustration to HR on your leaving interview.

You don't have much of a choice since no company is going to change a manager because of a grunted programmer. And about your team mates, there's also nothing you can do but search for a team that meets your expectations.

A year and half is long enough to fit or leave.

• @stillwater said:

How do I tell these gentlemen and ladies to pull their shit together?

You don't. Then you'll end up the one who's always telling them they're wrong and as there's more of them, you'll fit in even less.
    This is management's responsibility, but judging by point 1 this seems like that isn't going to help. Try raising it to them and the level above with facts and figures and if that doesn't work - leave.

Or just leave.

• You shouldn't ever be passive aggressive. It's usually counter-productive.

I have so much hate inside me it is starting to affect my personal life close to the point of having to drink a little to go to work sometimes.I so badly want to be aggressive.I know it is not a good thing though.I dont want to get totally burned out

You should prepare a presentation to management (over the dumbfuck's
    head) about why your current environment is not ideal, and how to
    improve it. You should include the numbers they care about, not just the ones you
    care about. (For example, "our unit test coverage is only 40%!": nobody
    gives a shit. "The cost of rework is approximately $50,000 in wasted
    salary a week": now you got their attention.)

If your manager's a dumbfuck, there's a high probability his manager
    is also a dumbfuck. In which case, you're back to: find a new job.

The problem being I have been working here for just around 1.5 years and is my second official job and owing to my experience the manager thinks I m just young and reckless and dont know enough.My coworkers have been around here for 3+ years.Have consistently managed to kiss asses and get more and more money.The ones who were recruited when I was already here have 3-4+ years experience and don't do for the project as much as I do.Again manage to kiss ass and keep things smooth. I am the only odd one out and when I brought this:

You should prepare a presentation to management (over the dumbfuck's
    head) about why your current environment is not ideal, and how to
    improve it. You should include the numbers they care about, not just the ones you
    care about. (For example, "our unit test coverage is only 40%!": nobody
    gives a shit. "The cost of rework is approximately $50,000 in wasted
    salary a week": now you got their attention.)

All i got was "You're new and you don't have much experience.You just code and leave this stuff to the more experienced ones." Well fuck me the experienced ones are fucking around just copy pasting code and no one acknowledges their incompetence

• @stillwater said:

close to the point of having to drink a little to go to work sometimes.

Leave. Leave now.

• I actually do care for the product I am working on.It is a Hospital management system and for fuck's sake somebody is gonna actually use it and trust the software to get things done the right way.I want it to WORK. I like the product and I think I might indirectly touch somebody's life(even if it is in the tiniest way possible). Leaving the team or job would make me feel bad.I've written code that makes up atleast 30-40% of the application just by myself.I've invested so much effort into it and it just feels wrong to quit.The team can all die for all i care,but I do want to make this product work.

• I know I have not mentioned this before.I should have.

I've signed a legal contract to work for this company till next August.I cannot leave now.I dont have time to brush up on my skills to get through an interview.I am so fucked and confused.

• Ok, so don't talk to management and just leave.

I'm not sure what you're looking for from us here, you have basically two options:

1. Try to change the situation,

2. Get another job.

So if you're saying 1) is impossible, then just skip to 2).

There's a good chance you'd have to do 2) anyway. (Look at what happened on my last contract when I tried to change the course of a development project to save time and effort not re-implementing a buggy copy of a black-box process.)

Don't make things more complicated than they are.

• @stillwater said:

It is a Hospital management system

Oh goddamned, do you work for Trizetto? Leave. Leave NOW. (And do more research before taking the job in the first place next time, haha.)

• @stillwater said:

I've signed a legal contract to work for this company till next August.

Where do you live where that's legal?

@stillwater said:

I cannot leave now.

What's the penalty for breaking the contract?

• I guess I'll have to start seriously looking at option no 2 or possible find a way to get myself kicked out somehow.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

You shouldn't ever be passive aggressive. It's usually counter-productive.
    Actively hostile has always been very good for my career. The more outright PISSED OFF my direct superiors are at me, the better things get.

I'm apparently doing so well that my director is actually flying out next week to sit me in a conference room and tell me off about how I steered the VP away from buying a quarter million dollars in needless shit that would put me months behind on a fix for the actual problem, as opposed to waiting three weeks for me to finish what I'm doing (or actually clearing the deck for me and letting me get it done in days)

• @stillwater said:

I've signed a legal contract to work for this company till next August

There's always a way out.

@stillwater said:

I cannot leave now.

Bet you can. There might be a penalty, but I bet you can.

• @Weng said:

Actively hostile has always been very good for my career. The more outright PISSED OFF my direct superiors are at me, the better things get.

It works if:

1. Your company is more focused on results than internal politics, and

2. You're right when you're making your case.

For my last contract that got terminated early, I had number 2) on my side but not number 1).

But all previous jobs, getting (constructively) angry at stupid behavior was very good for my career. Because as it turns out, if you get pissed at a co-worker's shitty cloud setup, and just angrily take it over from him and give your company a $3000/month savings, management likes that. Generally.

Then that guy ends up fired a few weeks later and you feel kind of bad but whatever.

• Where do you live where that's legal?

India.

What's the penalty for breaking the contract?

I have to pay the company 1600-1700 USD roughly(100000 Indian Rupees)

And yeah thanks to you I am saving money! In the Bank! Got enough to survive for about 3 months without a job but paying them is out of the question.

• @blakeyrat said:

1) Your company is more focused on results than internal politics

Do these companies exist?

• What's the penalty for breaking the contract?

I have to pay so much money that I dont have right now.And the sad thing being I am not even doing anything wrong.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.