@boomzilla said:
    or end of a post.

@boomzilla said:

or at the start

@boomzilla said:

where the cursor is

@boomzilla said:

whether a quote shows up

Quoted in the order they appeared in originally.
    @discoursebot

Bug: Quotes are inserted into editor in the wrong order
    Expected behaviour: They're inserted in the order I highlight them, with the latest being at the bottom.

EDIT- WHERE'S THE FIRST QUOTE GONE? FFS.
    @discoursebot.

• Banned

What is this starting topics where the title reflects the contents madness?

Answered here

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/another-strike-against-vegetarians/4514/161?u=codinghorror

Sorry, I did not see this before that.

• kills Dumbledore

I just tried inserting a quote in the middle of a reply to see if the cursor goes to the end of the quote block or somewhere else, which would have been a bug.

Turns out the box loses focus so the cursor goes wherever you click to get back in it. This makes sense to me.

However, on ctrl + Z -ing to remove the quote, I discovered... I'm not even sure what. Some of the quote BBcode stuck around and seemingly random bits of text disappeared. What the hell are you guys doing to your undo code? Simulating backspace? No, even that wouldn't work because my cursor wasn't in the middle of the quote. I'm pretty sure the standard behaviour of a text box in a browser, or Notepad, or any other base level text widget gets this right.

@codinghorror said:

What is this starting topics where the title reflects the contents madness?

We're generally pretty good at that in Bugs. Except when we find another bug trying to repro the reported bug

• kills Dumbledore

What I'm going to do here is write some text

@Jaloopa said:

Turns out the box loses focus so the cursor goes wherever you click to get back in it. This makes sense to me

Move my cursor to somewhere in the middle

Quote reply, and then undo. I will post whatever the results are.

DISCOURCISTENCY! The undo did nothing this time. Jeff, is this consistent or discoverable?

• @codinghorror said:

go at the cursor position

That makes sense, which would be fine if that consistently happened. Quoted these in the same way, and they're in the right order. Will see if I can work out some reliable repro.

@codinghorror said:

Well that's funny

@codinghorror said:

as there was a request

@codinghorror said:

from this very site

• Just for the record, this is very annoying.

It should either go at the end, or there should be some visible indicator where the quote will go.

Preferably an option you can switch on/off, or some nifty way to switch between the two modes.

• kills Dumbledore

@cartman82 said:

Preferably an option you can switch on/off

The checkbox: the mating call of the loser

• @Jaloopa said:

However, on ctrl + Z -ing to remove the quote, I discovered...

Undo doesn't work here and never has.

• Banned

We just use the browser default undo. Try it on a codepen with a textbox html element and compare.

• Yes but you also broke it somehow so it doesn't work here and never has. Because God forbid there be a single convenient feature of computers Discourse doesn't fuck up or break in some manner.

I don't know what "codepen" is and I don't care.

• SockDev

blakey, please, for the love of whatever god or goddess you worship (or don't) just shut up.

i get that you are upset, i get that you wish to express that but your constant ad-hominim attacks are really getting old fast.

• I didn't make any ad hominem attacks. "Undo doesn't work on Discourse and never has" is a simple fact.

• SockDev

that statement is an assertion, true. what you wrapped it in was an attack.

please stop it. it's not funny, it's not even helpful. All it does is drive those that could help us fix this forum away.

• Banned

Experiment at

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/textarea-undo-why-is-it-so-inconsistent/815

We don't override default undo in the editor any more and haven't for a while...

• @accalia said:

All it does is drive those that could help us fix this forum away.

Yes, well, if it stops idiots here from donating their time to help the Discourse idiots make money, that sounds like a pretty good end-goal to me.

This forum is beyond fixing. Its developers won't even slightly possibly consider taking actions to fix it. It's hopelessly broken forever. So not only are you donating your time to help them make money, but your end-goal of "fix Discourse" is impossible.

@codinghorror said:

We don't override default undo in the editor any more and haven't for a while...

And yet, it doesn't work.

• SockDev

@blakeyrat said:

Yes, well, if it stops idiots here from donating their time to help the Discourse idiots make money, that sounds like a pretty good end-goal to me.

for the last time, blakey, I am respectfully asking you to stop trying to destroy what little goodwill we have left with the developers of discourse. I understand you are unhappy with the software, and rightfully so. Please understand that we don't have a choice about what forum software we use, that choice was made by Alex and we don't own the site to overrule his choice.

we have to deal with this forum, which for all its flaws works. and if we work with the developers we can help them make it better.

I know you are angry, I can't ask you to stop being so, but i can and am asking you to stop trying to destroy what the rest of us have.

Thank you.

• @blakeyrat said:

Yes but you also broke it somehow so it doesn't work here and never has.

It's working for me on chrome.

• And here.

• @accalia said:

for the last time, blakey, I am respectfully asking you to stop trying to destroy what little goodwill we have left with the developers of discourse.

They have their own forum for this shit. Post whatever you want there. I won't read it. Trust me.

Just don't come running and crying to me when your reward for all that "goodwill" is getting summarily banned by Atwood.

@accalia said:

we have to deal with this forum, which for all its flaws works. and if we work with the developers we can help them make it better.

Yes, you acknowledge that it's bad, and you're reaction to that is, "well I'll just donate my time to help them! Even though it's a commercial product that makes them money! I'll give them free money, what a great idea!"

If you see a bad movie, a real stinker, is your first reaction to cut a check and send it to the producers? If you buy a shoddy product that falls apart the first time you use it, do you drive over to the factory and buy all the workers lunch?

I don't get it.

Hell, maybe that's why the product is so awful. "Hey guys, the more bugs we write, the more free labor we get! Cha-ching!!!"

@boomzilla said:

It's working for me on chrome.

Liar.

Or you have the world's simplest test-case. Try hitting the quote button then undoing that. Try dragging an image to the text box, then undoing that.

• SockDev

works like a charm for me in IE, FF and chrome.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.