Revenge of internet banking WTFs

• (I'm sure we've had a thread about this sort of thing before, but I can't find it ATM)

From the Halifax/Bank of Scotland internet banking service:

1. "Payments" and "Recipts"? So, the first column's for when I get a payment, and the second's when I reci... er...

Seriously, whatever happened to "credits" and "debits"? If you want to be non-technical, at least use something unambiguous like "in" and "out"...

2. All transfers are listed as just "transfer". They do have more information available to them -- at least give me the SC+AN! Even better, as I have to associate a name with the SC+AN first in order to make a transfer out of my account, show me that (where applicable)!

I'm sure there's more. At least it works in non-IE browsers.

• [quote user="Irrelevant"] "Payments" and "Recipts"? So, the first column's for when I get a payment, and the second's when I reci... er...

Seriously, whatever happened to "credits" and "debits"? If you want to be non-technical, at least use something unambiguous like "in" and "out"...

[/quote]

Apologies if this seems rude, but the real WTF is that you think of your bank account as synonymous with yourself i.e. written as the first person.  A payment is when a payment is made from your account, a receipt is when your account receives some money.  AFAIK these are the correct, technical banking terms for these actions.

• [quote user="Irrelevant"]

2) All transfers are listed as just "transfer". They do have more information available to them -- at least give me the SC+AN! Even better, as I have to associate a name with the SC+AN first in order to make a transfer out of my account, show me that (where applicable)![/quote]

Does similar information display for other transactions?  If not, then the form doesn't show enough data.  If yes, then some policy prevents showing SC+AN, probably for privacy reasons.

I mean, someone could print it out, put it on a wooden table...and then throw it away and have it stolen.

• actually, credits and debits would be correct.  You credit or debit an account, you don't payment or receipt it.

• So, when you look at your account online, are you thinking about it as an asset account or a liability account? Should the bank present it to you as an asset account, even though, from their point of view,  it's a liability account?  In other words, what do you mean by "credit" and "debit"?

• gives campkev a cookie

Thanks, thought I was going crazy for a minute there.

If I pay by card at a shop, I get the business name & branch code on the statement, and likewise for cash withdrawls. I don't have any DDs, standing orders, etc, so I can't comment on those.

That presents another WTF, actually. Debit transactions result in two lines, viz:

| 25 Oct 2006| Ankh-Morpork |  |  | 133.37|
    |   | Debit Card - CMOT Dibbler| 3.25 |  | 133.37|
    Even better, these lines then get separated if you sort alphabetically instead of by date. Whee!

• [quote user="Irrelevant"]That presents another WTF, actually. Debit transactions result in two lines, viz:

Even better, these lines then get separated if you sort alphabetically instead of by date. Whee![/quote]

Ouch. Now THAT is a real WTF. How does something like that get past even basic testing?

• Looks like their testing outsource solutions were a lowest bidder outfit of one guy who was reportedly "Cuttin' Me Own Throat" to get the business.

+1, Pratchett

• [quote user="Benanov"]

Looks like their testing outsource solutions were a lowest bidder outfit of one guy who was reportedly "Cuttin' Me Own Throat" to get the business.

+1, Pratchett

[/quote]

Apparently his crack team of testers were the stone hippos on the bridge over the Ankh

• [quote user="Irrelevant"]gives campkev a cookie

Thanks, thought I was going crazy for a minute there.

If I pay by card at a shop, I get the business name & branch code on the statement, and likewise for cash withdrawls. I don't have any DDs, standing orders, etc, so I can't comment on those.

That presents another WTF, actually. Debit transactions result in two lines, viz:

Even better, these lines then get separated if you sort alphabetically instead of by date. Whee![/quote]

WTF? you actually bought something from CMOT Dibbler? People never leran :)

• Personally, I'm just in love with the ordering. It's alphabetically sorted, after all.

A B C D E F...

Wait, I thought S was before T...

Perhaps my kindergarten class just taught me wrong...

Then again, the first two technically should be after the third one... but with a list this size, alphabetical orders improves search time, no?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.