BitTorrent Article WTF

• If you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about, for the love of [insert deity of choice] *DON'T WRITE ABOUT IT*

[url]http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061023_551741.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5 [/url]

• I think the author would have done a better job if she had read the wikipedia article on BitTorrent.

I'll start with it's a protocol/program, not a collection of pirated movies.

• The bigger wtf seems to be the level of ignorance over the use of the name BitTorrent. It is both the name of the protocol and the website/company, all created by Bram Cohan.

Whilst the article is badly written and there is a lot of ambiguity between the protocol and the company, the comments are even worse with people decrying "there is no 'they' to 'sell out'". The author needs to double check facts and be more clear in their wording and the commenter’s need to check things out before exposing their ignorance..

• With an introduction like "Long before anyone had heard of YouTube, BitTorrent was the bad-boy online video site" how can it possibly be bad?

Even with my meagre knowledge of BT, I likewise also know that it is an online video site comparable to YouTube! 

• [quote user="RayS"]

With an introduction like "Long before anyone had heard of YouTube,
    BitTorrent was the bad-boy online video site" how can it possibly be
    bad?

Even with my meagre knowledge of BT, I likewise also know that it is an online video site comparable to YouTube! 

[/quote]

Bah, everyone knows that FTP is the father of all bad-boy online video sites... 

• FTP or Usenet?

• [quote user="ender"]FTP or Usenet?[/quote]

*slaps ender*

We do not speak of Usenet.