Thank you for letting me back in, Discourse!

• @sh_code said:

(But I do really like the realtime preview. Except afaik, star text star should be bold, and underscore text underscore should be italics.)

Noooo!

• *text* should be bold
    • _text_ should be underlined!!!!!
    • /text/ should be italic

Is there actually any markup language out there that gets this right?

Back on topic: welcome!

Edit: @presidentsdaughter said as much a few posts after where I was when I replied

• @OffByOne said:

Creole comes close, though it doesn't have a standard underline, and it uses double characters instead of single.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@OffByOne said:

Confluence's variant does that. I hate it for other reasons though, especially their pseudo-WYSIWYG editor, which just loves to lose track of where styles start and end in strange ways…

• @mihi said:

sh_code:
    Except afaik, star text star should be bold, and underscore text underscore should be italics.

spec.commonmark.org disagrees.

except em and strong are semantic, as far as i know.

• @dkf said:

Confluence's variant does that. I hate it for other reasons though, especially their pseudo-WYSIWYG editor, which just loves to lose track of where styles start and end in strange ways…

Does it also support[1] HTML, BBCode and MarkDown? If so, we should tell Jeff. I think Dicsourse would be a lot nicer if it supported another make-up[2] language in its editor.

[1] for approximate values of "support", obviously
    [2] this came out when I tried to type markup. Leaving it, because it seems fitting

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@OffByOne said:

Does it also support HTML, BBCode and MarkDown?

I think we all know there's only one system that supports all that toxic hellstew mix of syntaxes natively…

• @sh_code said:

> > Except afaik, star text star should be bold, and underscore text underscore should be italics.

spec.commonmark.org disagrees.

except em and strong are semantic, as far as i know.

except that the spec suggests to treat both star and underscore the same way, so regardless whether you think emphasize should be bold or italic, the spec disagrees.

• @FrostCat said:

I meant with Markdumb.

Doesn't invalidate @chubertdev's voodoo that he do. 😄

• @HardwareGeek said:

InB4: Yes.

Jerzy, is that you?

EDIT: Explanation: that was the name of a good friend of mine in my college days who would routine answer an option question that had 2 mutually exclusive possible answers (at least) with "Yes."

• @redwizard said:

Jerzy, is that you?

No.

• That I do, so well?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.