Video game spotlight thread

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Sleeping Dogs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Dogs_(video_game)

I got the DLCs for this one lately, so I've decided to replay the main story and then have a go at those.

I originally came across this one on El Reg, as part of the "games of 2012 you probably missed" list, or some such. Sounded fun, checked it out and I wasn't disappointed.

It's, hands-down, the best GTA-style sandbox game I've played so far (mind you, I've not had a go at GTA V, yet). I like the story, I like the characters, I like the setting and I like the gameplay. The fact that you play an undercover cop is a welcome change from the standard "be a gangsta and fuck people's shit up" fare, typical of the genre and adds some nice depth to the story. Hong Kong provides an interesting and exotic, yet vaguely familiar backdrop, which is also a refreshing change from the norm.

My chief gripe is that it isn't particularly comfortable to play with a mouse/keyboard - I've a feeling that a controller would do wonders for the kung-fu fighting (not to mention the driving and action hijack sequences - I'm pants when driving with my left hand).

Now, I just need to grind up a bit more and I'll be ready to start the Zodiac Tournament DLC - a riff on Enter The Dragon, complete with 70s music and visuals. Should be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG5-MDbz1u4

• @GOG said:

It's, hands-down, the best GTA-style sandbox game I've played so far (mind you, I've not had a go at GTA V, yet).

Have you played Saint's Row 3 or 4? Because those deconstructions of the genre kind of ruined the actual genre for me. The same way it's hard to play modern warfare-type games played straight after playing through Spec Ops: The Line.

Also, Crackdown is the best open world crime game ever made. So there.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

Have you played Saint's Row 3 or 4?

Yep, both. Didn't get through SR3 in the end - maybe one day. SR4 was actually pretty fun - and I enjoyed it - though the fact that half of the game is mini-games was just as annoying as in 3.

• Ok well Crackdown is still the best ever.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

I'll have a look at it. Thanks.

• @FrostCat said:

Hey! Listen!

YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS.

@blakeyrat said:

The same way it's hard to play modern warfare-type games played straight after playing through Spec Ops: The Line.

To be fair, as great as the story and some gimmicks was, the game really played like any modern shooter.

And there's the multiplayer Team Deathmatch mode, played completely straight. Talk about executive meddling... nothing is funnier/more bitterly annoying than seeing "you just got a level in Small Rifles" in an otherwise movie-like experience.

• đźš˝ Regular

@blakeyrat said:

Oh. And I was supposed to know that CTOS was another game mechanic
    No, I was. Because I was the one being talked to.

Now what the fuck is SSI Dungeon Hack? Is it a mod called Hack for a game called SSI dungeon? Is Dungeon Hack the name of a game and SSI a type of game I've never heard of?

Don't answer. Because I know how to Google.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Zecc said:

Now what the fuck is SSI [...]?

A tragic loss.

• đźš˝ Regular

In other news, I've recently finished Guacamelee, a 2D beat-'em-up platformer.

It wasn't a rock-your-world experience, but it was a well executed game. It had charming, decently animated vectorial graphics and a nice Mariachi soundtrack, parts of which are still playing in my head.

The game map was well thought up. it wasn't completely linear, you could revisit old locations or try to visit new locations ahead of time, but both the story and the progressive unlocking of abilities kept you directed.

It also had a decent amount of secrets and optional tasks and challenges to keep you busy if you wanted. Nothing earth-shattering, but a sign of a well-designed game. It also had a fair amount of humor.

The bosses were quite hard; which I guess is the point. The game's only fault is you can't fight them again (that I know of).

I was able to save El Presidente's Daughter and get the happy ending on first try. :)

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok well Crackdown is still the best ever.

I think a lot of people overlooked it because it came with the Halo 3 beta and everyone played that instead. But it really is the best. Too bad that, like The Matrix, there were never any sequels.

Filed under: Some would say Saints Row 4 was the sequel that both those franchises were waiting for

• FoxDev

Just started a 2 player playthrough of this game and we've just got to say:

Playing as CL4P-TP IS HILARIOUS!

• @Maciejasjmj said:

To be fair, as great as the story and some gimmicks was, the game really played like any modern shooter.

Right; but the gameplay was also besides the point. Mostly.

• @hungrier said:

I think a lot of people overlooked it because it came with the Halo 3 beta and everyone played that instead. But it really is the best. Too bad that, like The Matrix, there were never any sequels.

On the contrary, people bought Crackdown to get early access to Halo, then started playing it and they were all like, "wow Crackdown is a WAY better game than Halo 3!"

I think I was about the only one who bought Crackdown to play Crackdown, because when at MS I did some network testing for it and that game was SO FUCKING FUN it was hard to test.

• @accalia said:

Just started a 2 player playthrough of this game and we've just got to say:

Playing as CL4P-TP IS HILARIOUS!

How about playing against CL4P-TP in poker, with GLaDOS as dealer?

• @blakeyrat said:

I think I was about the only one who bought Crackdown to play Crackdown, because when at MS I did some network testing for it and that game was SO FUCKING FUN it was hard to test.

I bought it after playing the demo, and didn't even install the Halo beta.

• Been there, done that. Got Handsome Jack's mask.

• Played more Payday 2 last night. Ok the first like 3 hours or so were passable, but the game quickly gets intolerable.

Just FYI: when the game "help" tells you you can intimidate a cop and use him as a hostage, IT IS FUCKING LYING AND IF YOU TRY IT YOU'LL BE KILLED and did they even try to QA this game? WTF.

• That's a thing in Poker Night 2? Been a while, gotta say.

• @Arantor said:

That's a thing in Poker Night 2? Been a while, gotta say.

Yes, and it's also referencing that my avatar is a TF2 Spy, which happens to be the TF2 class that can equip the Handsome Jack Mask you get from Poker Night 2 by winning it from CL4P-TP.

• Ah, that'd be it, I never played TF2.

• Legend of Grimrock 2

I've hinted that I'm a Grimrock fan a few times before. I'm finally deep enough into the sequel to post this.

First impressions: fantastic.

It fixes what was broken, extends where it was lacking and otherwise leaves the winning formula intact. An exemplary approach to making sequel.

For those who don't know, Grimrock is a first person party-based RPG. Movement is grid based, but in real time. This makes for pretty exciting action-y battles, while still retaining a strategic undertone. Sounds strange, but don't knock it until you try it. It's a pretty damn sweet combination.

So what's improved compared to the first part? Outdoors areas. Semi open-world non-linear exploration. Better character system (5 races, 7-8 classes, traits). Special moves are tied to weapons and are no longer luck-triggered.

What remained the same? Combat system. Puzzles. Dungeons. Secrets. No hand holding (YES!)

What could be improved? Manual. I had to restart the game like 4-5 times until I got my characters just right. They really need a proper documentation for what influences which weapon type etc. If anyone is getting into this and needs party creation tips, let me know.

I'm about 4-6 hours into it, but I've seen enough to be able to HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to anyone into RPG-s.

• I don't think I ever played the original... although it sounded a lot like the old 90s Eye of the Beholder games and its distant cousin Lands of Lore.

• @powerlord said:

I don't think I ever played the original... although it sounded a lot like the old 90s Eye of the Beholder games and its distant cousin Lands of Lore.

Yeah, a modern retelling. Quick map is what makes or breaks games like this for me, because there's no way I'm busting out pen and paper. That's why I loved Lands of Lore and Grimrock, and couldn't get into Eye of the Beholder.

• Invisible, Inc.

(This game is in Early Access, because I am not a wise man)

Invisible Inc is Stealth XCom. You control a small team of covert operatives, breaking into corporate installations, to steal money, data, gear or just more operatives, building up your resources in preparation to counter a major event going down in three days. The longer you spend in each installation, the tighter security gets, steadily closing in on you.

Combat is intended to be avoided, and is very fast when it does. There's no random hit chances, no health points, it's all about lines of sight and armour. You also have an assistant AI who can be used to take control of the building's automated security, like security cameras, turrets and drones.

Basically, it's a roguelike-like. Procedural mission and map generation, enforced iron man.

I really like the roguelike approach to games, and procedural cyberpunkish stealth tactics is a genre I didn't realise I needed until I played it.

• @trithne said:

I really like the roguelike approach to games, and procedural cyberpunkish stealth tactics is a genre I didn't realise I needed until I played it.

Have you played Frozen Synapse?

That isn't exactly a recommendation, and differs a lot based on your description, but it sounds like there are some loose threads of connection and it might be enough you'd be interested in trying it. (Personally, I have mixed feelings about it. There are parts I like a lot, but overall I liked it a lot less than I expected and I came out underwhelmed and never finished the campaign. Though I think multiplayer is also an attraction for a lot of people, but I don't really get into multiplayer with people I don't know.)

They also have a spiritual followup called Frozen Endzone; I haven't played it.

• I have played FS, but it's a very different beast. FS is really about the Multiplayer, which I enjoy because I'm a fan of asynchronous MP games, but I'm not very good at it.

• Banned

No love for Just Cause 2?

Just Cause 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2cnlDKVPI

I know, old, but such a fun sandbox. The grapple, the parachute, my god.

• đźš˝ Regular

@EvanED said:

That isn't exactly a recommendation, and differs a lot based on your description, but it sounds like there are some loose threads of connection and it might be enough you'd be interested in trying it. (Personally, I have mixed feelings about it. There are parts I like a lot, but overall I liked it a lot less than I expected and I came out underwhelmed and never finished the campaign. Though I think multiplayer is also an attraction for a lot of people, but I don't really get into multiplayer with people I don't know.)

They also have a spiritual followup called Frozen Endzone; I haven't played it.

This applies to me also, word for word.

• See I love X-Com, but I don't think I could get into "Invisible Inc.". From what I've seen, these alarm levels go up fast and you're expected to haul ass and make difficult decisions of the kind "should I risk going after that drawer, or just hurry along towards the main objective?"

Well, time sensitivity is a deal breaker for me. I'm a slow-playing completionist and HATE any kind of time pressure in games. Seeing a closed locker and not having enough time to get to it would just drive me crazy.

The same reason I couldn't get into the Depth of Peril line of games. Also, the one thing keeping Space Rangers and the sequel from perfection. Can't stand it.

• @trithne said:

XCom

Speaking of which, there's a deal which lets you get Enemy Unknown for free until tomorrow for casting a few votes in some Game of the Year poll. Also, some 80% off Enemy Within if you play the game for an hour or so, but I can't test it now.

• Play some more Borderlands: Pre-Sequel last night; still not digging it at all.

• Treasure adventure game

• It's an open-world adventure game
    • It's pretty good
    • It's free!
    • And it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee. Which you won't need because IT'S FREE!

I think I've made my point.

• Isn't it basically this generation's attempt at Dizzy?

• @Arantor said:

Isn't it basically this generation's attempt at Dizzy?

Except it has like 252 more colors and requires 600 times more RAM.

Might be fun, but I've just now realized I've never really played Dizzy, so...

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Except it has like 252 more colors and requires 600 times more RAM.

Might be fun, but I've just now realized I've never really played Dizzy, so...

Dizzy's worth playing the first time just to get a feel for it. Personally my favourite of the series was Magic Land Dizzy but Prince of the Yolkfolk holds a place in my heart too.

• I've been playing Alien: Isolation this week after I managed to get the PC version on sale.

It's actually a really good game... if you like stealth games that is.

The hardest part is that you have to continue solving puzzles (relatively easy ones, though) while at the same time avoiding the Alien that is stalking you. There are also other hazards as well as ways to distract the Alien temporarily.

And when I say "stalking you" it literally follows you around the station despite the space station the game takes place on being composed of 3 towers. You take a train from the Habitat tower to the Sci/Med tower? Alien that was in the Habitat tower when you left is now in the Sci/Med tower when you leave the transit station.

Then again, does the game really need a plot reason to do this? It's obvious from playing it that the game does it to keep the tension on.

• It's a very polarizing game, you either like it or hate it.

I will say that it seems to devolve into more of a Metroidy game during the middle (as in "find powerup to get to new area" stuff).

...I guess this shouldn't be too much of a surprise given that Metroid is also heavy influenced by Alien. Hell, one of the series recurring bosses is named after the director of Alien, Ridley Scott.

• Defender's Quest - Valley of the Forgotten

I saw this yesterday among blakeyrat's duplicates and thought "This look neat! I'll ask for it". Then I realized I already had it and just never bothered to try it. So last night, I installed it and gave it a spin. It was 3AM when I finally made myself turn it off and go to sleep.

It's a tower defense type game combined with a Puzzle Quest styled metagame and some RPG elements. I never liked any tower defense game, but this one fit like a glove.

Highly recommended. AND you can get it for free from blakey, so that's an additional plus.

• Frozen Synapse

Because I don't feel like the previous mentions really did it justice. Frozen Synapse is the best game. Watching three days of meticulous planning pay off in a half-minute clip—there's just no feeling like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3tyvBAXDuI

• đźš˝ Regular

@Buddy said:

Watching three days of meticulous planning pay off in a half-minute clip—there's just no feeling like it.

SpaceChem.

Edit: Nice way to clear the path to your fellow soldier.

• @cartman82 said:

Defender's Quest - Valley of the Forgotten

I couldn't get into it. The story was so goddamned insultingly stupid.

@Buddy said:

Frozen Synapse is the best game.

Seriously? I will never understand people's love for this game.

Even if you think that style of gameplay was fun, the game is so lazy and bland. And it's crummy "this game is using a 3D engine even though we were too lazy to make proper 3D graphics and it probably shouldn't be" makes it so visually confusing, half the time you get shot you're thinking, "wait, that guy wasn't behind cover? But it looks like he is-- shift the camera a bit-- oh."

Maybe if he had actually made, you know, graphics? Maybe then I'd like it. EDIT: it's even bad at making videos. What happened to the red soldier on the right? The camera just zooms off of him.

It seems to be a "take a genre that was popular 15 years ago, make a modern shitty version of it, hope that everybody forgot that genre existed so it looks fresh and exciting" kind of game.

• @Zecc said:

SpaceChem.

Yeah, that one is good. Though I spend 50% time thinking and 50% time fighting with the interface on my SGS3 - it's just big enough to work most of the time, but you need to be very precise.

Most of my designs are of the "it sucks, but it works" variety, though...

• @Zecc said:

Nice way to clear the path to your fellow soldier.

Thanks, it's ironic that lagnut was the person I learned that trick from (the game before—I got completely owned). But yeah, when you realize that rockets can be at least as useful for changing the playing field (removing cover, getting your soldiers to unexpected places etc) as they are for taking pot-shots at the other team, it can be a game-changer.

@blakeyrat said:

half the time you get shot you're thinking, "wait, that guy wasn't behind cover? But it looks like he is-- shift the camera a bit-- oh."

Did you miss the > / || button? The one that lets you preview every possible way that shit could go down before you click Prime? Nah, I'm just kidding, I know there's a hell of a learning curve, where you end up getting killed a lot due to quirks of the mechanics (aim timers!), but the reason I feel that this game's still more accessible than, say, chess is that after something like that's happened to you once, you know about it for the next time, and you can get back to focusing on the actual tactics of the game you are playing. Whereas, with chess, you need to know all the openings, end-games, puzzles etc—basically just a shitload of studying—if you want to be competitive.

@blakeyrat said:

What happened to the red soldier on the right? The camera just zooms off of him.

Dead. The thing that won that for me was that they didn't move their machine gun at all that turn. I didn't know it at the time, but the only slight randomness in the game is when two units have the exact same move, range, and cover bonuses, the winner gets determined by the parity of the two units' coordinates. I just put my top mg somewhere I was sure it would survive whatever happened (I didn't seriously expect them to shoot that wall away, although after seeing it I realized exactly what they were going for—they were expecting me to pop either into or out of cover at the last moment, and wanted to make that doorway wider to ruin that for me).

@blakeyrat said:

It seems to be a "take a genre that was popular 15 years ago, make a modern shitty version of it, hope that everybody forgot that genre existed so it looks fresh and exciting" kind of game.

More like “bring something fresh to the table in an incredibly well designed game in a genre that other devs had completely forgotten about” imo.

• @Buddy said:

More like “bring something fresh to the table in an incredibly well designed game in a genre that other devs had completely forgotten about” imo.

Well like it if you want. None of what you said changes the fact that it's just a really lazy, low-effort implementation.

You know what would have helped it a lot? Actual graphics!

• Oh hey look:

The Vita version has... graphics!

And it's being reverse-ported back to PC. Now if only the game had had... graphics!... on release.

• I'm not sure how much I want to defend Frozen Synapse, because I wound up coming out pretty "meh" on the games as a whole (despite some things I did like a lot). But I didn't really mind the graphics per se. I mean, chess is a great game, and will be all but certainly be widely played long after people have forgotten about most of today's video games and franchises, and the graphics on that aren't exactly something to write home about. Tetris graphics haven't exactly advanced much over the last 30 years either.

(Incidentally, I'm not really familiar with many other games that have similar gameplay. Care to name any of the the genre that you liked?)

• đźš˝ Regular

I think I prefer the minimalistic visuals on the original. Those... graphics!... look to distracting.

Regardless of... graphics!... the tilted view makes cover perception even worse.

But the over-the-shoulder visualization of the result seems like a nice feature.

• @blakeyrat said:

People who don't have a million dollars are just lazy.

Lol now I'm just trolling, sorry.

You don't have to like FS; I already love it enough for both of us. Thanks for helping me articulate exactly what it was that I liked about it.

Edit: Also, I just remembered what an absolutely terrible game it is to try and make letsplays of.

• BINNED

Damn, that Invisible Inc. thing reminded me of good old Commandos... For anyone who doesn't know it:

The original game, the standalone expansion and the first sequel (Men of courage) are worth playing. Played Commandos 3 for like 45 minutes before nearly punching my monitor due to shitty camera. The FPS they made afterwards is not even worth mentioning.

Basically, it's a realtime tactics game in isometric perspective (although the sequels are in 3D and allow for camera control). You control a team of commandos on a set of missions during WW2, some based loosely on true events, some inspired by other fictional works (Bridge over the river Kwai for example). Each commando has their own specific equipment and skills. The expansion and Men of courage have some semblance of a storyline, but don't expect much.

The whole point of the game is trying to (mostly) covertly take down German and Japanese installations. While it's possible to go full cowboy in some segments the game emphasizes stealth and I find it much more rewarding to play it in full stealth mode. Until the bombs start going off that is.

First game is pretty good, the standalone expansion has, surprisingly, the largest amount of features (like taking enemy soldiers as hostages and ordering them around at gunpoint), while Men of courage is the most polished and enjoyable overall.

Warning: If you intend to get it I recommend GoG since I'd expect them fully patched. Steam version of the original game, and possibly the expansion, have an issue where it runs way too fast. There is a community patch you can find on Steam forums, but it's extra work.

Time to install Steam in Wine again I guess... sigh...

And I broke the Wikipedia onebox. @discoursebot !

Edit: Also, the @discoursebot it seems