Video game spotlight thread

• @Magus said:

You're expecting too much from a port of a Vita game.

In that case, here's hoping that Danganronpa is ported better.

Edit: Discouse, wtf were you doing with that link. It had http:// on it already ya fuckwit.

• @powerlord said:

In that case, here's hoping that Danganronpa is ported better.

Why would you HOPE for that? Dangan ronpa sounds like the worst game ever.

• I imagine that will turn out better, since as far as I know it's a visual novel and therefore immune to camera problems.

As for the link, it's better than what steam does:

"Here, I'll send you the address for my mumble server: onwovjowivcoaiuhvo"
    "It doesn't work."
    "What, why?"
    "I don't know, I copied it from steam: http://onwovjowivcoaiuhvo"
    "Right, remove the http://, that's completely wrong. STEEEEEEEM!"

Or even:

"Hey, check out this thing I did: {LINK REMOVED}!"
    "Er, uh, I... can't? Apparently {LINK REMOVED}..."
    "Fine, www.odsijfods osijvosjvoi.com/ifuwovowec"
    "Right, that works at least. STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!"

• I finished my review of The Witness if anyone cares about my particular opinion:

no friend requests please, I only do that for close friends

• Damnit, I'm the one on this forum who does stupid let's plays!!!

*sobs*

• I didn't know you had a YouTube channel. If it makes you feel any better, you have a new subscriber :p

• Prepare to be disappointed.

• it's actually harder to align something to the camera space than aligning it to the world space. just saying

• BTW on the extremely rare chance you find anything there slightly amusing, you might also want to check out the RobotsInTheNews channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/robotsinthenews

Probably wont ever have any new videos, unless Rantis like gets dumped and fired and suddenly has copious free time. But lots of stuff there, ranging from the awful to the really bad.

• Right, so, this weekend I bought Portal Knights on steam. It's like 10% off, which isn't much, but it's a cheap game anyway.

What you get:

• Worlds of minecrafty blocks, except that their details extrude into the world and are actually nice looking in general.
    • 45 semirandom floating islands connected by portals.
    • 3 proper scripted bossfights, with probably more to come.
    • 3 character classes, which only really differ in what stats you can get and like three passives. Mage is going to be better for magic at level 30, but you're likely to use ranged weapons as a warrior for a lot of the game, and there's no real penalty.
    • Quite a lot of equipment that follows a pretty easy to understand progression, with three main branches and some choice within them: it isn't unlikely that a mage will play melee with a scythe, or that a warrior may benefit from a lightning spell on the first boss.
    • 6 elemental magic types, which are all quite different.
    • A decent amount of enemy variety, where even the same looking enemies have different attack patterns sometimes.
    • Four player multiplayer
    • Random recipe drops. I once found a recipe for a lightning skull that shot bolts of decently powerful lightning damage, provided armor, and didn't ever lose durability!

Cons:

• Currently short. You can beat the last boss long before you get the best gear in the game (especially as a mage, because the second to last element is strong against him)
    • Somewhat stuttery sometimes, which can cause inputs to not always take. This only happens sometimes.
    • If you have 200 ping, it will be rubberbandy rather than teleporty
    • It seems to randomly have voice chat sometimes, like right as someone joins, which stops almost immediately.

All in all, the game feels really polished, which is not what you expect from early access at all. This feels more like an oldschool open beta than a modern early access. I'm really excited to see how it progresses, because even after beating it I still want to keep playing and craft all the gear!

• Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes

In a bit of a break from setting up Mafia, I've been playtesting this quirky thing. The premise is simple - there's a timed bomb, there's a set of modules which have certain rules as to how to defuse them, complete them all before the bomb explodes.

The twist - the manual is a solid 20 pages long and full of convoluted conditions that guarantee you won't remember them all. Instead, you're supposed to grab a friend and turn the video game into a party game, where one or more people with a manual guide the other one through defusing the bomb using just verbal communication, without looking at the screen - either shouting across the room, or via Skype or Teamspeak.

While you can play it solo, going through the manual yourself, it's both easier and much more fun to cooperate - and the game does everything it can to trip your communication up. One of the modules, for example, gives you a keypad with four symbols - taken from Hebrew, early Cyryllic, and all the other Unicode goodness. The other person has to find them at a chart and give you the correct order in which to press them - but the challenge is in actually describing the "kinda like three, but with ears and a tail" symbols to the "expert".

Other one takes a page from Abbot and Costello and makes you recite words on the screen and in the manual - except the list of words contains things like "THEIR", "THERE" and "THEY'RE", "OKAY" and "UH HUH", "NOTHING", "BLANK" and " ", and all the other phrases you're likely to either say involuntarily, or confuse with each other.

Players need to learn to only pass necessary information, since the time limit is a major concern - but before that happens, there's potential for a lot of stupid errors and silliness. A must-have if you have friends to play with (and doubly so if you have Oculus, since the game is apparently designed with it in mind).

And if you want to see the game in action, James Rolfe and the gang did a playthrough of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYcH5ETrck

As for the highlights:

(Symbols)

-- And, uh, like... a triangle... on legs... next to a pole...
    -- You mean the parked spaceship?
    -- Yep, exactly!

(Who's On First)

--Third row, second column.
    -- Okay...
    -- Okay okay, or the word okay?
    -- Yes!
    -- I mean, uh, the word...

(Morse Code)

-- So, Morse. Short, short, short, long, short, long, short...
    -- Uh, once again, there are no seven-character letters there...

Filed under: inb4 the kid with a clock debate

• Trying out Grim Dawn.

I don't have much to say about the game itself yet, but I'll say this: this is how you do intro cinematics:

https://youtu.be/gpqtoLyNG-E

It introduces the setting, the atmosphere, the good guys, the bad guys, the stakes and your place in the world. All in 2 minutes, and without being an obvious info dump.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cartman82 It's been interesting to watch the development of that game through the betas. The intro was one of the last things the developers created.

Interesting loot starts to drop from about level 15 or so, and the really build-defining stuff comes post-50 (so a long way from the start, or about the end of the first playthrough). I'm not sure whether it is better to pour points mostly into skill advancement or level advancement; one makes you better able to kill stuff, but the other makes you less generally squishy. Pay attention to your resistances, and bear in mind that while the first row of them in the UI is important almost from the start, the second row only really becomes vital later in the game, particularly once you find out Ulgrim's secret identity.

I'm currently hoping that they'll do some interesting content for after you wipe the boss at the end of the main questline. However, I think they're currently working on the modding tools, so I expect things to be quiet on the play front for a while.

What class are you starting with?

• @dkf said in Video game spotlight thread:

What class are you starting with?

Playing as a gun wielding alchemist. Level 15 or so. So far, the game seems too easy. I have yet to be even close to dying.

@cartman82 The game mostly gives you plenty to kill and makes it fairly easy, but sometimes it throws really difficult stuff at you. The bosses are often extremely difficult, especially the ones who are very fast (given that you're running a lightweight build); there aren't too many of them until after you have killed the Warden.

The difficulty goes up quite a bit once you pass the Darkvale Gate (especially if you've not invested much in gear with good cold resistance before then) but you're still like half the game away from there.

• I recently started playing Enter the Gungeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3kPMRA_JYE

The best short description I have of this game is that it's The Binding of Isaac crossed with a Bullet Hell shooter.

I suck at this type of game, but I'm slowly making progress through the game. I've even managed to discover a secret floor.

TotalBiscuit covers this game more in depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6GLRtiSFA

Basic tips for the game:

• Save your keys. There are always 2 chests per floor.
    • Chest colors from best to worst: Black, Red, Green, Blue, Brown.
    • Conserve the ammo of your good guns
    • Master the dodge roll...

• @powerlord I bought this too, but so far, it didn't hook me. It's too skill based to be a podcast game, and not interesting enough to give it my full attention. An uncanny valley of roguelites.

• @blakeyrat said in Video game spotlight thread:

Jesus I hate you all.

We love you too....

• 0_1460880808601_DS3.png

• @cartman82 It looks exactly like Nuclear Throne. Like... 99.9% ripoff.

• So I've been playing just a bit of Paragon. If you don't know, that's Epic's version of Smite, basically, and the competitor to Battleborn, which I have yet to try.

It's a seriously beautiful game, clearly made to show off the latest Unreal Engine (Killstreaks include 'Unreal' and 'Epic', lol). It has proper physics, and attacks that involve knockback, or are fairly vertical. It's just a bit slow, but it's nice. Actually feels like a game, unlike Smite.

I played as Muriel, a robot angel who gives people shields, which was pretty great. Then I played as Sevarog, who is Death with a hammer, and seriously fun to play as, since he can steal souls from enemy mobs with his Q to gain life. Proper tank. Then I tried one as Murdock, who is basically the attack damage character, and the way items affect things like that is, imo, pretty cool. I played part of a match as Gideon, who drops meteors on people and can teleport, but I don't think I can do that well enough.

Overall, relatively cool if you don't hate MOBAs. I'd rather play it than most others, though I need to see Battleborn.

• @Magus said in Video game spotlight thread:

Actually feels like a game, unlike Smite.

What does SMITE feel like?

@Magus said in Video game spotlight thread:

with his Q

I liked SMITE, but after reading this I now hate all MOBAs and people who play them.

"With his Q". Fuck off.

What does SMITE feel like?

My biggest issue with SMITE was that it looked bad, the attacks felt and sounded weak, and it felt like it was just a different way of displaying the same game: it was still a 2D game. This feels like a good mix between a third person shooter and a MOBA.

@blakeyrat said in Video game spotlight thread:

I liked SMITE, but after reading this I now hate all MOBAs and people who play them.
    "With his Q". Fuck off.

Fine, "The skill I don't remember the name of that damages everything in a very small area by a somewhat decent amount, any gives you souls for any enemies killed with it, which increase your max life every 20, up to around four times"

My biggest issue with SMITE was that it looked bad,

Really? The engine running it's pretty amazing, IMO.

the attacks felt and sounded weak

I could see that.

and it felt like it was just a different way of displaying the same game: it was still a 2D game.

Well duh. That's the genre it's in. "Man I don't like that SimCity much, way too much city-building in it."

EDIT: you didn't even mention the horrible community. It's not as bad as DOTA2, but it's still pretty toxic. At least in SMITE the text-binds make it easier to play without actually interacting with the toxic assholes.

This feels like a good mix between a third person shooter and a MOBA.

Like Friday Night Combat back in the day? I wonder if anybody still plays that.

Fine, "The skill I don't remember the name of that damages everything in a very small area by a somewhat decent amount, any gives you souls for any enemies killed with it, which increase your max life every 20, up to around four times"

You know the best thing about Halo? If you A Master Chief jumps out of cover, Right Triggers a few enemies, then Y's his other gun so he's ready to B back under cover. Aw, man, that sniper was able to headshot me even though I was Depress-Left-Analog-Stick-ing

• @blakeyrat Monday night combat was really fun. I enjoyed it immensely, but it wasn't marketed well and died. The sequel looks and plays worse, more moba than shooter. Paragon is kind of between the two, with no 'five headshots to kill' sniper class like the second game. No sniper at all really, because they know what game they're making.

• @Magus Oh I somehow conflated the TV series Friday Night Lights with the video game Monday Night Combat, but you know what I meant.

Did you ever play Lead and Gold? Not a MOBA or anything similar, but an incredibly fun western team-based FPS that was similarly cheated of the marketing/mindshare it deserved.

you know what I meant.

Yep! The fact that you knew it existed at all is better than most people.

Did you ever play Lead and Gold? Not a MOBA or anything similar, but an incredibly fun western team-based FPS that was similarly cheated of the marketing/mindshare it deserved.

No, but not being a MOBA is not a bad thing at all in my mind. I frequently dislike FPS with conventional weaponry, being more of a quake/unreal fan, but I won't discount your claims that it's good.

Anyway, my point for Paragon: Watch some videos. If nothing else, it looks beautiful. It's quite fun too, in my opinion.

• @Magus Meh. I'll care about Paragon when I have friends playing it and/or get it for free.

Has anyone here played the new Doom game yet?
    For £27 (on cdkeys.com) I think it might be worth a punt but as I wasn't a massive fan of Doom 3, I'm not sure.

• @loopback0 said in Video game spotlight thread:

I have it 80% downloaded.

Doom 3 wasn't terrible, it just dragged-on way too long and had a few questionable gameplay mechanics that distracted from the rest of the game. I hope DOOM learns the lesson and doesn't drag-on so long that 24 hours in you're not like, "oh God, I have to go to ANOTHER level and fight ANOTHER boss? Sheesh!"

Doom 3 wasn't terrible

No but it seemed to focus too much on being a "horror" game than on the things that made the original Doom games enjoyable.

• @loopback0 What bugs me the most thinking back is:

You fight through the base for like 20 hours. You enter the portal and fight through hell for like another 8-9 hours. You see this huge boss and defeat them and you're like YEAH! CREDITS ROLL SICK OF THIS GAME NOW!

But no. You have to go BACK to Mars and play for another like 10 hours to actually hit the actually final boss. Yes, sure, good value for your money, but goddamned it just dragged. Especially for those final 10 hours. DRAGGED.

@blakeyrat It's been a long time since I played it, but I'm fairly sure I bailed before even getting near the end of it.

• @loopback0 I don't blame you.

It bugs me that EPIC is still around and still creating and yet haven't made new single-player Unreal game. They totally should. Unreal was awesome! Unreal II was-- uh. Unreal was awesome!

Personally I'm not buying something I'm going to suck at terribly, but judging by the reviews it's actually mostly what you'd expect from something titled "Doom".

• @Maciejasjmj as long as you avoid the multiplayer, which afaik is loadout based and you can't pick up items. But doom is a single player series anyway.

No, but not being a MOBA is not a bad thing at all in my mind. I frequently dislike FPS with conventional weaponry, being more of a quake/unreal fan, but I won't discount your claims that it's good.

Personally, I prefer FPS games over MOBA games. Which is probably why I've played the Overwatch beta instead of Paragon or Battleborn.

As for Doom, haven't played it, but I've heard its single-player is great and its multi-player not so great.

• @powerlord i don't know what to think of battleborn. It could be very good, and they seem to have put some story behind it, which is nice. But if it's anything like SMNC, with fps controls but moba stats... I'd never be able to play it.

Overwatch seems really good, and if I had friends around to lan it with, I'd play it crazily.

As it is now, path of exile with occasional games of paragon is looking like the best bet.

@loopback0 said in Video game spotlight thread:

No but it seemed to focus too much on being a "horror" game

Yeah, good grief. Near the end when the levels started getting all extra gory I kept thinking it was more cheesy than scary. Way overdone.

• @FrostCat I still couldn't believe they had monster closets, in 2004. Sheesh.

Want to feel old? I just looked it up and Doom 3 was released in 2004. Ugh.

• @blakeyrat Want to feel even older? Doom II: Hell on Earth was 1994.

• @Arantor Yeah I had Macs back then so I didn't play Doom or Doom II until much later.

• @blakeyrat yeah, that was about the time of Marathon.

Speaking of 1994 releases, TIL that System Shock is not only out on GOG now they finally sorted the licensing shit but it comes with an enhanced edition which has mouselook support amongst other things.

• @Arantor Marathon was SO MUCH BETTER though. SO MUCH BETTER.

• @blakeyrat Better than System Shock? LIES

• @Arantor System Shock, yes. System Shock II... on par.

I bought Doom in the end. Played the first hour or so. It's good so far, definitely better than I remember Doom 3 being.
    Graphics are superb too.

I bought Doom in the end. Played the first hour or so. It's good so far, definitely better than I remember Doom 3 being.
    Graphics are superb too.

Doom 3 was definitely much slower paced than the other Doom games. It's like they wanted it to look more like a survival horror game, but still play like an FPS.

I do find it weird that both Doom 3 and Doom 2016 are remakes of Doom 1.

• @loopback0 Yeah it's better than I expected actually.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is still better, though. If you want a singleplayer game of that "type", get that instead IMO.

EDIT: that said, I've been playing MechWarrior Online all day, so.

@blakeyrat I've got Wolfenstein: New Order and have played a few hours into it. Need to get back to it at some point.