Video game spotlight thread

• The Turing Test

It's a new first-person puzzle platformer that can easily be compared and contrasted with Portal and The Talos Principle. Immediately bought it and started playing it, and some of the early puzzles already involve cube swapping, which is an excellent sign of the puzzles to come.

The Turing Test - Available Now! – 01:59
    — BULKHEAD

If you're not interested in actually playing it but still curious to see what it's about, I'll be uploading my low graphics settings playthrough here because I have a crappy graphics card not meant for gaming. Or you can just search for any other playthrough on YouTube, I don't care.

EDIT: I have completed the game (not 100%, but the credits rolled) and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

• This is an MS-DOS puzzle game I loved as a kid. Give it a try. It works in the browser, but a bit slow, the audio doesn't work, and you have to redefine the "push" key because shift is apparently not detected, so just use DOSbox if you have it installed.

• Way late follow up, but Amazon finally got around to getting/shipping the watches for the special edition of Zero Time Dilemma.

And I'm currently waiting on watch #3, after having to initiate returns for the first two (and after Amazon told me to keep the first one).

Why? Because they insisted on shipping them in a padded envelope via USPS.

0_1473891316831_1473873483488-upload-1419a134-3fd1-4bee-82c7-b00119e762ff.jpg
    This is the second watch, the first one had the shell in better condition, but the watch inside was damaged.

The third watch they're sending via UPS, and hopefully in a box this timeha-ha no it's in a padded envelope again. :facepalm:

EDIT: Let's not paste in that image, but upload the JPG instead.

• OpenTTD!

The game is about 75% micromanaging train tracks to stop the trains from doing stupid things, but it's still fun to play with.

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance OST - The Stains Of Time Extended – 04:30
    — Crimson

You're a cyborg ninja slicing through building-sized mecha to electro-metal soundtrack. If that's not cool, nothing is.

More seriously, MGR is another entry in the Metal Gear Solid franchise - this time with less stealth and much, much more action. Instead of sneaking behind enemies' backs, you tackle them head-on in a swordfight, running circles around them, deflecting bullets with your sword, and ultimately slicing them in half to rip their spine (ahem, "electrolyte fluid pack") out and crush it in your hand. It's immensely satisfying - the action is fluid, the combat mechanics are great once you master them, and it's just a lot of fun to play.

The overall gameplay is somewhat similar to other beat-em-ups like DmC - you have your light attack and heavy attack, you can chain them in combos, that sort of thing. Aside from attacking, the game revolves heavily around parrying your foes' attacks - when you see the enemy blink red, you can block the attack and if your timing is perfect, stagger them to go medieval on their asses. Another addition is what the game calls Blade Mode - pull the left trigger (yeah, you kinda need a controller for this game) and the time slows down, letting you manually line up your sword to slice through enemies' weak points. Finish an enemy off with a clean cut, and you can rip the aforementioned spine out to regenerate your health.

The plot... well, it's Metal Gear. The general idea is that in the not too distant future, wars have all but stopped, but a bunch of villains is out to instigate some conflicts for fun and profit. There's not an awful lot that can be said without spoilers, but overall the story strikes a nice balance between serious and cheesy - the villains are gloriously over the top and Raiden, the protagonist, has more angst pent-up than all members of My Chemical Romance combined, but it deals with some pretty heavy themes like the necessity of war for the economy, or whether it's justifiable to fight for the greater good.

Of course, no game is without its flaws, and MGR's is mostly that it doesn't do a very good job of communicating what you can do and how to do it. Sure, you go through a short training sequence that explains the concepts of parrying and Blade Mode, but there's plenty of things that the game does not say where it should.

For instance, the parrying is explained as "moving your stick towards the enemy and pressing X" - so I did, for two long missions, getting my face pummeled every time. What isn't explained is that you have to center the stick, then flick it from the centered position - if you try running towards the enemy and trying to parry, it'll just register a light attack and you'll get immediately countered. In a game where you're constantly running, that really bears explaining. What's worse is that you can just go through a huge part of the game without realizing it - one boss fight is made pretty difficult, but still manageable - until a boss in the middle of the game mops the floor with your face if you haven't mastered parrying to that point.

There's more of it - sometimes enemies will flash yellow or orange, and you can parry orange attacks, while you can't parry yellow ones. There's a "dodge" move that you can buy for upgrade points, but unlike a dodge in any other game where you jump out of the way, here it's a slight sidestep and attack. And I still don't know why I can sometimes get out of being pinned (which prompts you to waggle your stick) with no issues at all, and sometimes no amount of waving my thumb saves me from being pounded.

Other than that - and occasional camera issues, most annoying in the one or two odd stealth stages - it's a really good game, with a great soundtrack, satisfying gameplay and some really engaging boss fights. It often pops up on Steam for $5, and at that price it's a steal.

• This Flash game is pretty good.

I've been playing it for days and can only manage to reach floor 12.

• Mighty No. 9

It's not very good.

I don't particularly care for Mega Man. Never played it when I was a kid, never really bothered to pick any of the games in the series up later. So the entire Kickstarter thing completely passed me by - I haven't even heard of it and all the drama surrounding it until the game came out and got promptly bashed by every single gaming outlet in existence. So I went in cautiously, but with an open mind - figuring it's going to be a decent if flawed experience whose biggest fault was that it wasn't exactly like the Mega Man games.

Well, flawed it is. First off, just look at the screenshot above. Now, I'm usually the first to rant about the indie devs' tendency to skimp on the visual side by putting faux 8-bit graphics in, slapping on the "retro" label and calling it a day, so I guess it's a point in Mighty No. 9's favor that it tries to actually look like an upgrade. That, however is immediately offset by just how atrocious the bloody thing is. The 3D models have about as many polygons as you can count on one hand, most animations are 2-second loops, the characters talk without moving their mouths at all, and every cutscene takes place in a featureless room like the one above. I'm honestly not sure what happened here - the level backdrops look much better, and in-game graphics are okay (though suffering from enemies blending in into way too noisy backgrounds), so why the hell do the cutscenes look like a freshman graphics design project?

Anyway, on to the gameplay. Mighty No. 9 is Mega Man in all but name (and even in that matter the team didn't exactly strain their brains, with Beck and Call replacing Rock and Roll, doctor White replacing doctor Light, heh heh, geddit?)... except for the actual fun. It apes all the major elements - there are the 8 robot masters, the weapons that you gain upon defeating them and which grant you a rock-paper-scissors advantage, the instant-death platforming challenges, and even the lives and the score counter make a return after being banished to the well-deserved game design graveyard. So why does it suck so badly?

Well, it mostly boils down to the elements they didn't lift wholesale. A major gameplay element is dashing into enemies - you technically have a choice between pumping the enemy with lead and softening it just a little until it gets staggered, then using the dash move to fly through them and "absorb" them. Technically, since killing the enemy the regular way takes three or four times more shots than softening them up for a dash, so you'll be dashing a lot. In a game that's about careful shooting and platforming and generally keeping your distance, it effectively requires you to get up close and fly into the enemy's face (more often than not getting hit by the one slightly behind that hasn't been stunned). All that for a chance for a mediocre powerup, a bunch of points and staving off the frustration of shooting an enemy fifteen times (and a combo meter, which just gives you more points. Nobody gives a shit about points anymore, guys!) It's particularly egregious with bosses, whose ridiculously oversized health bars need to be taken out piece by piece with a dash between them - if you don't dash in time, the boss just regenerates health.

Then there are the instant deaths. Plenty of levels are peppered with spikes and other assorted hazards that kill you instantly, and they're usually in spaces that pretty much require you to die, curse the stupid design for a bit and try again. Even some of the bosses join into the fun. Which wouldn't be that bad, just restart at the checkpoint, right? Nope - even if you get lucky and the checkpoint is reasonably placed (very much not always the case), you're still bound by the fucking lives system. Lose all your lives and you get back to the very beginning of the stage. It's antiquated, pointless since nothing carries through between lives, and just prolongs the rather short game artificially by making you repeat the same stages over and over again, only to get a few chances at the boss and get a game over just as you start to figure out the patterns. Well, unless you set your lives counter to 9, which is an option in the game - one that carries zero penalty, too.

Then there are all the things that could have been okay if they ended up in a better game. By the end of the game, there's what looks like a stealth level - the enemies are indestructible and gain vision cones, the layout leaves you hiding spots to sneak through the patterns, overall it starts great, right? Well, turns out in this level you play as a character which has a bulletproof shield as a power, said enemies just fire a bunch of easily avoidable bullets, and after two or three screens the game turns into the same level as almost all ones before it - which sucks doubly, since said character has a lower fire rate, no special weapons and cannot dash into enemies. One of the robot masters spices things up by making you explore the level searching for him - which boils down to running back and forth through the same locations multiple times without a single checkpoint before the boss fight. And there's an underwater section which can be bypassed by swimming up to the top of the screen like in Mario 1, except without any hazard to go with it.

There's a lot of smaller things that are there pretty much solely to piss you off, but in the end, the game is just bad. Not horrible - the core of jumping and shooting works okay, and there are a few ideas that are fine, but... that's it. What's good about Mighty No. 9 never rises beyond "fine", and what's bad about it is really bad, overall averaging somewhere at the bottom of the rating scale. Even without the drama and terrible Kickstarter, it's just a bargain bin game trying to well itself as something more.

• ROME : TW1 (not the wank second version)

Takes getting into CFG files to get going these days. But is one of the best games ever.

Played it on and off for 10 years and has a Barbarian Expansion that lets you play as Barbarians in 300-400AD against Rome.

• I have already mentioned Treasure Adventure Game here once, but I'm going to do it again because it deserves it.

So to put it clearly:

THIS GAME IS VERY GOOD AND YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY PLAY IT

• @anonymous234 Neat! Looks right up my alley and I see I already have it at GOG, but I don't remember playing it. I'll give it a go tonight.

• 🚽 Regular

@anonymous234 said in Video game spotlight thread:

I have already mentioned Treasure Adventure Game here once, but I'm going to do it again because it deserves it.

Thanks for that btw.

So to put it clearly:

THIS GAME IS VERY GOOD AND YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY PLAY IT

I second that. If you're into 2D platformers, of course.

I believe it needs to be run in admin mode, for whatever reason.

• I didn't have any major problems with non-admin, though I did need to set windows 7 compatibility (running 8.1) to avoid a crash on exit.

• Super Mario RPG is a very good game.

• @Maciejasjmj I pretty much agree with all of that, except the instant death paragraph (that's the most megaman thing any game could possibly do) and that ultimately I went away slightly positive toward the game.

Playing through the game as the bonus character is a lot harder and a lot more fun than the regular game, but the base game isn't quite good enough to make most people choose to buy an extra DLC for it.

• Star-Twine

It's on Steam now! For the past couple months apparently.

I played it quite a lot with friends in Uni, and we always had quite a good time with it, and the updated version contains a new campaign mode!

Essentially this game is the best possible example of procedural generation in a video game: you play a 1v1 match against another player in a giant mass of energy ribbons in space.

The energy ribbons, or 'twines' are your terrain: you have full freedom to move in 3 dimensions, with the ability to fully unlock the camera. Space makes you go faster, and right click zooms out and shows you the whole battlefield.

You build energy nodes on twines to generate power, your only resource, and you win when your opponent loses all of their power generators.

You defend your nodes with a combination of Sentinals (which protect an area, destroying any enemy unit placed in their radius, and can even be used offensively) and Black Holes (which divert and absorb enemy projectiles, and have a lot of life regeneration). You can do some amazing things with just these two, spreading out enemy projectiles across a large area and eliminating any damage they could have caused you, but as they also divert/absorb your own projectiles, they can be used in even more fascinating ways.

For attacking, you have turrets (which automatically attack the nearest enemy unit, no matter the distance) and missiles (which cost insane amounts and blink obviously to warn your opponent, and when they complete fire at the nearest enemy unit, destroying everything in a fairly large area, exactly once).

And that's it. It's a free-3D first-person chess-like RTS. It's cool!

• @Magus said in Video game spotlight thread:

except the instant death paragraph (that's the most megaman thing any game could possibly do)

Yeah, yeah, Mega Man did it. 30 years ago.

I wouldn't mind cheap deaths too much if it wasn't for a) occasionally ridiculous checkpoint placement, and b) the lives system. Sure, NES games had it because there's only so much you can put on a cartridge and you don't want players to beat your $60 game in two hours, but in this day and age punishing the player by booting them back far enough to have to run through the same portion of the game over and over again before they get a chance to try again just feels antiquated.

• @Maciejasjmj I don't know, I really don't have a problem with lives either. It's probably a matter of taste, but I feel like it's effective if you want the player to be really careful. It causes frustration, but at the same time it makes a successful run more satisfying.

Either way though, playing through the game as Beck is by far the worst way to do it.

• @Magus said in Video game spotlight thread:

It causes frustration, but at the same time it makes a successful run more satisfying.

I don't know whether it does. Passing a difficult challenge is satisfying. Running back and forth through areas you've already mastered to have a shot at the one you didn't is just tedious.If you want to make the game more satisfying, make the individual challenges harder instead of denying the player the chance to learn to beat them.

@Magus said in Video game spotlight thread:

Either way though, playing through the game as Beck is by far the worst way to do it.

If Roll, I mean Roll, I mean Call's level is any indication of how other characters work, then no thanks. I really hated that level because it showed a lot of promise for about 15 seconds, and then you realized the stealth/timing section is actually beatable without any skill in stealth and timing.

• @Maciejasjmj Ray's gameplay is nothing like Call's, luckily. She's incredibly fast, with a decent range melee attack that absorbs enemies automatically. Her life soft-drains at all times (it will refill to where it started if you absorb an enemy, or damage you from where it's lowered to if you get hit), but since even her dash is an attack, the whole thing feels much more fluid. Honestly the game feels like it was made with her in mind, rather than Beck. All her boss moves are different too, for instance the helicopter makes your dash home in on an enemy sonic-style.

• Lure of the Temptress is a pretty generic "kill the evil sorcerer and save the world" point-and-click game from 1992, available for free on Gog. Sadly it has a bunch of game-breaking bugs that make it almost unplayable.

But, the interesting part is the platform that they call "Virtual theatre". NPCs exist even when they're not in the current screen. They walk around the village in "real time", interacting with each other (having scripted conversations you can listen in on). You can give your sidekick instructions like "go to that place, pick up that thing, go to that other place, give it to that other person and come back". For a 1992 game I found that pretty impressive, and a massive improvement from other games like Monkey Island where every character is contained in its own place.

Sadly it was barely exploited in the game. I kinda wish more games in that time would have gone in that direction.

• @anonymous234 said in Video game spotlight thread:

I kinda wish more games in that time would have gone in that direction.

ben_lubot

• @ben_lubar There is such a thing as going too much in that direction :P

Besides, Dwarf Fortress was released 14 years later.

Dwarf Fortress was released

They still haven't hit 1.0 yet.

Sadly it was barely exploited in the game. I kinda wish more games in that time would have gone in that direction.

My favorite game series is Elder Scrolls. Morrowind and later all do that, to varying degrees of success.

"Hello."
    "Hello. I saw a mud crab yesterday."
    "Those are nasty creatures."
    "Goodbye."
    "Goodbye."

• @anonymous234 the subsequent game by the studio, Beneath A Steel Sky, does a better job of using the concept.

• Killing Floor 2 - Full Release Launch Trailer – 01:39
    — Tripwire Interactive

Killing Floor 2 is a pretty great PvE shooter. Basically, like it's predecessor, it's a 6 player cooperative game. In this game, you fight off the zombie-like Zeds. There are a certain number of Zeds that spawn each round (varies based on player count and game difficulty setting). You get money for kills and assists on Zeds, which you can spend on more powerful weapons between rounds.

It has class-like things called Perks which give you skills every 5 levels you get in said perk (max level is 25). Perk levels are permanent across games.

The game is currently free on PS+ for PS4 (which means if you get it for free, you keep it as long as you have a PS+ account) and currently has a free play week on Steam (ends next Tuesday) but costs $14.99 if you want to play it past then.

It currently has a special summer event going on with a new map, some new weapons, and some in-game rewards for completing (pretty easy) achievements.

Killing Floor 2 - Summer Sideshow 2017 Trailer – 01:49
    — Tripwire Interactive

P.S. If you ever played Killing Floor 1 and thought its graphics looked dated, Killing Floor 2 has considerably better visuals.

• @powerlord I played that game like a year ago on steam. It wasn't really all that good at that point, but it's probably better now.

• I made a list of all the games I own (well, "own" in the Steam sense of "perpetual lease"), filtered only the good ones that I haven't played, then filtered only the really good ones that are not multiplayer-only, then added the year of release and sorted.

1996 Tomb Raider I
    1997 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    1997 Tomb Raider II
    1998 Thief™ Gold
    1998 Tomb Raider III
    2000 Hitman
    2002 Hitman 2
    2003 Prince of Persia®: The Sands of Time
    2003 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
    2004 Syberia II
    2004 Thief™ 3: Deadly Shadows
    2004 World of Warcraft: Starter Edition
    2005 Sniper Elite: Berlin 1945
    2005 Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich
    2007 Mass Effect
    2009 Dragon Age: Origins
    2009 Mirror's Edge
    2009 Saints Row 2
    2009 Borderlands
    2010 Metro 2033
    2010 StarCraft® II: Starter Edition
    2010 Batman: Arkham Asylum
    2011 Mafia II
    2011 Saints Row: The Third
    2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    2012 Hitman: Absolution
    2012 DARK SOULS
    2012 Deadlight
    2012 Batman: Arkham City
    2012 Borderlands 2
    2012 Legend of Grimrock
    2012 Tales of Maj'Eyal
    2012 The Darkness II
    2013 Starseed Pilgrim
    2013 Teleglitch: Die More Edition
    2013 The Stanley Parable
    2014 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
    2014 Thief
    2014 Frog Fractions 2
    2015 Life Is Strange
    2015 Vintage Year
    2016 Overwatch
    2016 Battleborn
    2016 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    2017 System Shock Demo

So I should be able to catch up with every franchise in about 10 to 20 years. People born in the future won't be so lucky!

Not included: the entire Zelda series (I'm currently finishing OoT) and the important Mario ones.

• @blakeyrat said in Video game spotlight thread:

My favorite game series is Elder Scrolls. Morrowind and later all do that, to varying degrees of success.

"Hello."
    "Hello. I saw a mud crab yesterday."
    "Those are nasty creatures."
    "Goodbye."
    "Goodbye."

That's pretty much Dwarf Fortress adventure mode conversations. Except sometimes, you get this:

http://i.imgur.com/r0lJz6G.png

• 🚽 Regular

2017 System Shock Demo

https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_2 and

currently at €1.39 each or €2.78 together.

• TransOcean: The Shipping Company

Let's Try TransOcean - Gameplay Episode 1 – 35:24
    — Pewpewchewchew

Going through my steam collection, I randomly tried a game called "TransOcean: The Shipping Company", which came as a filler inside some bundle or something.

You are like organizing a container shipping company. Buy stuff in place A, ship it to place B, mind your fuel usage and drive your ship in and out of ports.

I would never purposefully buy a game like this on my own, but now that I tried it for 45 minutes or so, I kind of like it.

I think the trick for games like this is to have a good tutorial, to get me over the initial learning hump. This one does it pretty well.

On the downside, Steam reviews are lackluster, so I guess it won't have much staying power though.

• So I grabbed a Switch, and have so far been playing a small amount of Sonic Mania and quite a lot of Mighty Gunvolt Burst.

It's the second I'll be talking about. The original Mighty Gunvolt was free on the 3ds e-shop, possibly only for backers of Mighty Number 9, and was basically just an 8-bit megaman game with stuff from various Inti Creates properties. It was fine.

What we have with Mighty Gunvolt Burst is something silly. It has a story, but the story is bad, and 10 years from now, the main antagonist is most assuredly going to be looked on as one of the worst-aging characters ever invented.

The game is basically an oldschool platform shooter ala Megaman. While some would say that, because of the art style, it's more of a Megaman game than Mighty Number 9 ever was, if you believe those people, you will be severely disappointed.

Combat in this game is kind of awful. Every enemy in the game has a life bar, so that a hard mode can be enabled when you beat the game. You know, a 'hard' mode, where the only difference is a number. The weapon customization in the game, paired with the uselessness of boss weaknesses, makes it very possible to just focus on damage and explosions, and trivialize all the combat in the game.

Meanwhile, there are only a couple hidden items in the whole game that require you to get a movement upgrade - maybe 3 in all, which really lowers the replayability.

So far I've only beaten the game as Beck, and found that the correct strategy against every boss was to 1. Ignore their attacks, and 2. Stand as close to them as possible and press shoot a lot.

But you know, maybe level design could lift this up a bit! Except, in this game, the level design is completely uninspired. They have a level where it's too dark to see, but it's not a quarter as well thought out as the now-ancient Spark Mandrill stage from Megaman X. They have the worst ice level ever, and use a water level to do precisely nothing. Woo, you jump high and slowly!

And then there are the pits. Mighty Number 9 had a lot of instant deaths in it. All of them were pretty easy to deal with with a small amount of practice, and every level could be rushed very effectively. Burst puts instant death everywhere, with enemies shooting you as you hang on bars over a bottomless pit. It does it all the time.

So, to review:
    Combat: Even Mighty Number 9 was better
    Bosses: They were better in Mighty Number 9
    Level Design: They look nice, but even Mighty Number 9 levels play better
    Music: It's chiptune Mighty Number 9 music. It's good. Better? Dunno.

Whatever people say about MN9, I'd rather play it than this.

• FoxDev

@magus said in Video game spotlight thread:

So, to review:
    Combat: Even Mighty Number 9 was better
    Bosses: They were better in Mighty Number 9
    Level Design: They look nice, but even Mighty Number 9 levels play better
    Music: It's chiptune Mighty Number 9 music. It's good. Better? Dunno.

Whatever people say about MN9, I'd rather play it than this.

Why play MN9 when you have the magnificence of Sonic Mania? 😜

• @raceprouk Because I like armored blue characters better than furry ones ;)

In all seriousness, adapting to that game is hard for me. I made it to studiopolis in my first session, and haven't been back quite yet. I played a lot of Sonic Advance (I think the second one), and did absolutely everything in it, and it's the little things that trip me up: the edges of spring things are solid, and there are no R tricks (from what I can tell).

I think I will enjoy it, and having not played much of the classic games, the repetition isn't as much a downside for me as it is for other people. It's just a very strange feeling playing it.

• FoxDev

@magus Mania is a love-letter to Classic Sonic fans, there's no doubt about that. I adjusted to it immediately, but then I have logged about 534985643920873529848902758943758926897064783265748 hours on Sonic 3 & Knuckles :D

• @raceprouk Yeah, I definitely see why. I especially liked the Puyo Puyo bossfight; that was probably the highlight of the game so far.

Maybe I shouldn't have picked Knuckles, who is looking decidedly more pink than I remember.

In Advance 2, I feel like I played best as Cream, since a ranged attack is incredibly useful. The classic style seems to be much slower, with a less natural flow, but again, I think I'll get used to it.

• FoxDev

@magus said in Video game spotlight thread:

The classic style seems to be much slower, with a less natural flow, but again, I think I'll get used to it.

It's not really any slower once you're used to it. I think what you're missing most is the littering of speed boosters from the Advance series: in the classic games, you were expected to Spin Dash and use the level design to build speedmomentum (though some zones still have speed boosters).

• kills Dumbledore

@raceprouk said in Video game spotlight thread:

534985643920873529848902758943758926897064783265748 hours

0_1504030943232_Screenshot_20170829-192141.png

That's about 1035 times the age of the universe. You truly are a dedicated fan

• @raceprouk It's not so much the boosters as that there are literal blockers everywhere: If you let the level carry you along, you will bounce backward into walls a lot, and end up in the bottom path. Advance tended toward steering you to the middle path, and tricking off jumps usually got you to the high paths.

• OneShot

A short little story-driven walking simulator. The story and world are the main focus, it's very well written. At least, I really enjoyed it.

If you haven't ridden a minecart, you haven't completed the game.

• @lb_ When I see things like this:

Gameplay mechanics that go beyond the game window.

It makes me dread whatever horrible gimmick they've come up with. Does it hide my documents from me and make me think my computer's crashed? Fuck that noise.

• Fake News

@blakeyrat said in Video game spotlight thread:

@lb_ When I see things like this:

It makes me dread whatever horrible gimmick they've come up with. Does it hide my documents from me and make me think my computer's crashed? Fuck that noise.

It's indeed a curious marketing blurb...

Do you need to shake the game window for it do something? Is it a gamefied cryptolocker? Who knows!

At least it gets your attention for the whole 5 seconds.

• @jbert Even if it was harmless, like that part in Uncharted: Golden Abyss where you have to shine a bright light at your PS Vita camera, it's still annoying, unwanted and completely pulls you out of any immersion you might have had in the game.

Gimmicks suck. Hard.

Which is a shame, because otherwise that game looks interesting to me.

like that part in Uncharted: Golden Abyss where you have to shine a bright light at your PS Vita camera

It makes emulators more difficult if you use all the hardware!

(Also forward compatibility)

@lb_ When I see things like this:

Absolutely not. Though it can change your desktop background temporarily and ask you to look at files it saves in Documents/My Games/OneShot

• @lb_ Fuck it.

Where are the people clamoring for this. "I love playing video games, but I wish they'd change my desktop background."

• FoxDev

@lb_ said in Video game spotlight thread:

it can change your desktop background temporarily

Games shouldn't be fucking with stuff like that. End of.

• Considered Harmful

@lb_ Fuck it.

Where are the people clamoring for this. "I love playing video games, but I wish they'd change my desktop background."

Where are the people clamoring for decent 3D graphics in a terminal application? That sounds like it'd be a really cool game. Actual terminal, not hackmud.

• @pie_flavor Who was clamoring for terminals at all?

Oh, right. Shitty developers who want to live in 1978 forever.

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor Who was clamoring for terminals at all?

Oh, right. Shitty developers who want to live in 1978 forever.

and all linux users ever

Edit: I seem to be agreeing with you here.