I have failed as an IT Professional

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

So I get up today and say "Hey, I want to work on that game idea I've been cooking for awhile. Lets install an updated version of Visual Studio and get to work!" (my home dev machine has languished largely unused since I got my current job and I started burning out on the whole "develop stuff in my free time" thing)

So I go log in to MSDN and click the button for Visual Studio 2013 Update 3.

"What the hell. This is Windows 7. I have Windows 7 at work." Go I ask Doc Googs about it. "Install SP1, n00b!" says a bunch of stackoverflow junk from a couple years ago.

"That's literally impossible!" I exclaim as I mash buttons to pull up Windows Update.

You've got to be kidding me.

I'm just going to install 8.1. It'll be faster than 3.5 years of patches.
    "Fun, cathartic work on the game" day has now become "Irritating install a new OS" day.

• Someone here is TRWTF and this time it's not Microsoft.

• SockDev

best of luck!

i shall pour out a dram of "special sheep lineament" for the pixies so that they will be distracted and not trouble you.

• SockDev

@cartman82 said:

Someone here is TRWTF and this time it's not Microsoft.

And it isn't me either. There's a novelty.

I assume I had some sort of compelling reason for disabling updates. I can't fathom what the hell it was, but it had to be compelling.

• Doesn't matter, you'll like 8.1. Join us. JOIN USSSS.

I'm sure. My lack of installation has not been due to a distaste, but due to the fact that I use this machine for the following roles:

• Occasional development tasks (on hiatus for several years)
    • Games (haven't had the time for several years)
    • An alarm clock
    • Travel and event booking (every few weeks)

None of which are compelling enough to merit an OS upgrade except at need.

• Yeah, I second that. I have to reinstall the OS since one of my drives in the R0 array is coughing up smart errors, the OS is corrupted in some unfathomable way that not even an offline check can restore, and the motherboard doesn't support trim anyway. I thought about just installing Win 10 but there's no way I could use anything with a keylogger telemetry reporting built-in as the machine where I deal with customer access and files. And I've got a shiny new 840 pro to put it all on too.

It's only been like this since before I Win 8 came out and I upgraded in place.*

*Yes, I know I'm a bad man and I should feel bad. But the system runs surprisingly stable so long as I avoid using the Corsair 32GB kit that I've already sent for RMA once.

Sigh. Apparently either my crufty old IDE DVD burner has given up the ghost or my pile of crufty old DVDR's has. Can't get a good burn.

And no, I don't own any large USB sticks (I keep losing everything larger than approximately 256mb).

I guess I'll just patch.......

• @scrib said:

I thought about just installing Win 10 but there's no way I could use anything with a keylogger built-in as the machine where I deal with customer access and files.

Slashdot's leaking again. Sigh.

• @blakeyrat said:

Slashdot's leaking again. Sigh.

While it was a mistake to think about using a tech preview for my main driver in the first place, reports of the possibility that telemetry is being gathered caught me up short (it shouldn't have). I have no problem with MS grabbing telemetry from a test system, I just don't feel like breaking confidentiality laws to let them do so from my own system.

• area_deu

I don't know what's the biggest WTF in this thread:

• Thinking Win8.1 is a better productive system than 7
    • Not updating Windows for 3 years
    • Considering using Win10's developer preview version for a system that has productivity-related tasks

• @Weng said:

I'm just going to install 8.1. It'll be faster than 3.5 years of patches.

But it won't be better. And you know this.

• It was a bit of a derp, but I would have kept the original drives sitting on the side (and an image sitting on the backup disks).

I'm not a total idiot. Mostly, sure. But not a total one.

• Once you've added Classic Start Menu to 8.1, it's not exactly worse either.

According to my Win 7 desktop I've not installed any updates since 03/02/2013, compared to this 8.1 laptop where the last time I installed an update was 5 hours ago.

5 hours, 6 bum DVD's and a trip to Walmart to buy a goddamn USB drive later, 1 janky opensource "Put this ISO on this USB drive" tool and I actually have allegedly good installation media.

Asked some college buddies who have since become system admins how to do this sanely and the answer is thus:
    "Just set up a PXE server and do a network install. It's honestly easier."

I fucking hate system administrators.

Doesn't work because this sandisk presents as fixed storage for some unfuckingknowable reason.

Installer is running, but apparent disk i/o is near zero.

Been looking at the "setup is starting" screen for quite some time....

And after about 30 minutes it's given me the serial number screen. Which I cleverly failed to write down.

Giving up. Considering change of industry.

• @accalia said:

... "special sheep lineament" for the pixies...

Don't forget to feed the imps so that they can operate the computer.

• SockDev

how can i do that without letting out the magic smoke?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.