What did the nice mailman have for us?

• FoxDev

So i got back from taking this guy for a walk

(adorable isn't he? I love Fridays at our office)

to find a certain something sitting on my desk for me...

Bigger version

hmmm.... I've seen this mug before somewhere...

Bigger Version

And the shirt fits perfectly!

Bigger Version

Thank you, @apapadimoulis!

(and no i did not spend 20 minutes cleaning my desk so that the pictures would look better... it was only like 5 minutes.... ten tops.)

• You're almost as big a My Little Pony fan as my 2 and 5 year old daughters.

• Is this a result of the PDA thread?

• FoxDev

• FoxDev

@abarker said:

You're almost as big a My Little Pony fan as my 2 and 5 year old daughters.

Guilty as charged, but no comment about Femshep, the SR2, the massive amounts of candy (with ladles) or my selection of reading material?

:-P

• @accalia said:

Guilty as charged, but no comment about Femshep, the SR2, the massive amounts of candy (with ladles) or my selection of reading material?

*gasp*

You're Hanzo!

• FoxDev

well, not pictured is my collection of NERF weaponry (5 "guns", 2 of which are full auto) and my foam pirate swords..... wait... that was supposed to disprove you accusation...

umm.....

🏃

• @accalia said:

Why would those need comments? Unless ...

@Bort said:

gasp

You're Hanzo!

For once, I think @Bort is right!

• FoxDev

@abarker said:

I doubt it, I only brought those books to the office after reading Hanzo. And i had to buy both The Art of War and The Book of Five Rings to be able to bring them into the office.

although maybe Hanzo isn't one person but an idea... an infectious meme that seeks to destroy ignorance and willfull stupidity...

-blink blink-

where did this whetstone come from?

• @accalia said:

:-P

No, but 👍 for the DC poster.

• FoxDev

thanks! that one's been up for a while now, i should switch it for a different one.

any suggestions?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Dang. Your desk is an event horizon of nerdiness.

Who is best pony?

• @accalia said:

thanks! that one's been up for a while now, i should switch it for a different one.

any suggestions?

I currently have the "Don't touch" one next to my desk (roughly above where I'm storing piling up all random gadgets and stuff). Other than that, I sort of like the "Register your crimes" one too. :-)

@accalia said:

2 of which are full auto

Did you soup up a Vulcan or modify a different one? My son was into them a few years ago, but when he got tired of them he threw 'em out before I could use RC car batteries to boost the power on his Vulcan.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Dang. Your desk is an event horizon of nerdiness.

Who is best pony?

i gotta go with Fluttershy (that's why i have 2 of her) with 🌑 ❇ being a close second.

@cvi said:

I currently have the "Don't touch" one next to my desk (roughly above where I'm storing piling up all random gadgets and stuff). Other than that, I sort of like the "Register your crimes" one too.

i have register over our shared whiteboard and our helpdesk (which is four desks over) has borrowed the broken robot one for their pile of loaner laptops (i think it's funny enough i haven't retrieved it yet)

Maybe i'll put up socialize?

@FrostCat said:

Did you soup up a Vulcan or modify a different one? My son was into them a few years ago, but when he got tired of them he threw 'em out before I could use RC car batteries to boost the power on his Vulcan.

one stock Rapidstrike CS18, one modded RapidStrike that runs on triple voltage), one stock Stryfe, one stock Roughcut 2x4 and one stock Strong Arm

• @abarker said:

Do we have a history of disagreement?

You know what would help would be a feature where you can see your history of interaction with another user. Replies, quotes, likes... Or do people just not care about that sort of thing?

• FoxDev

@Bort said:

You know what would help would be a feature where you can see your history of interaction with another user. Replies, quotes, likes... Or do people just not care about that sort of thing?

please... please do not give Atwood ideas about that...

• I seem to recall us going at it in one topic a while back, but I CBA to find it.

• @abarker said:

You're almost as big a My Little Pony fan as my 2 and 5 year old daughters.

She's got one of the retro 80s toys.

• @blakeyrat said:

She's got one of the retro 80s toys.

So do my daughters.

• @accalia said:

Guilty as charged, but no comment about Femshep,

I'm suspicious of anybody who played make Shepard after hearing the first 3-4 of his lines. Goddamned that was some boring sleepy emotionless voice acting.

• @abarker said:

So do my daughters.

Right but they're just posers.

• FoxDev

I've done a playthrough of male Shepard (to get the Tali romance) and i just muted voice overs for ME1, relying on subtitles for that game. the acting got significantly better for ME2 and ME3, enough that voice overs got left on, but only barely.

the one that really grated on my nerves was Miranda. she really played up the [female dog] persona she was given...

• Seriously though if your desk had a TI-85 graphic calculator, it'd be perfect. Get on that.

• @accalia said:

the one that really grated on my nerves was Miranda. she really played up the [female dog] persona she was given...

the one that really grated on my nerves was THE ENTIRE MASS EFFECT 2 WHICH WAS THE SHITTIEST GAME AND I AM SHOCKED PEOPLE DISAGREE.

• FoxDev

hmmm i think i still have my old TI-84 in my sock drawer. I'll check and bring it into the office if i do.

• @abarker said:

I seem to recall us going at it in one topic a while back, but I CBA to find it.

Yeah, it was probably totally all your fault so it's best you don't look it up.

😄

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

the one that really grated on my nerves was THE ENTIRE MASS EFFECT 2 WHICH WAS THE SHITTIEST GAME AND I AM SHOCKED PEOPLE DISAGREE.

meh. it wasn't that bad. i mean without it we couldn't have done ME3 which was awesome (aside from the weak ending)

I will admit i never did the whole planet prospecting for materials in ME2. I edited in enough of those damn materials and settled for scanning the planets only to determine if there was a mission on them or not.

I did have fun launching probes at Uranus though. I admit i giggled quite a bit at EDI's lines.

• @accalia said:

And i had to buy both The Art of War and The Book of Five Rings to be able to bring them into the office.

Wha? I mean the quoting in the Hanzo things was dumb but those are such influential books they should be in the classics collection of your personal library already.

• @accalia said:

hmmm.... I've seen this mug before somewhere...

You bastard. All I got was a Discourse sticker.

I was thinking of sending over something for the Potpourri, but what can you send from Poland? Vodka? Potatoes? Unskilled labour?

• FoxDev

@locallunatic said:

Wha? I mean the quoting in the Hanzo things was dumb but those are such influential books they should be in the classics collection of your personal library already.

they were in my library already. They were just composed of 1's and 0's. I needed a different form for display at the office.

• FoxDev

@Maciejasjmj said:

You bastard. All I got was a Discourse sticker.

Yeah, those must have been some awesome chocolates i sent.

😃

so what about it @apapadimoulis, how were the treats?

• @accalia said:

I will admit i never did the whole planet prospecting for materials in ME2.

Heh. Well that was universally awful. I don't think a single person who's even heard of the game enjoyed that idiotic mini-game.

What I hated is the stuff everybody else is somehow ok with, because they're all idiots:

• The HORRENDUS railroading at the beginning of the game. ("Yes you can play the same character through all 3 ME games! But only if your character does something intensely stupid that they would never do at the beginning of ME2, and there's no way to not do it except turn off the game, so yeah.")

• They rebuild Shepard's body from scratch, but don't bother fixing Joker's fucking legs? And the reason why they don't, so the game writers could get a cheap "character moment" where: 1) you aren't even controlling your OWN DAMNED CHARACTER, and 2) it's utterly pointless? Also that one scene where the crew leaves in a shuttle for literally no reason to set up that idiotic "character moment". Where are my dudes going? They don't say. It doesn't matter. Ssh. The game devs want you to have some quality time with Joker for no reason.

• The ammo thing which is so brain-burstingly retarded I swear I got DUMBER when the game attempted to explain it. You see, guns in Mass Effect don't have ammo, instead they all just have heatsinks and need cooldown time. But in ME2 they (the game developers) wanted ammo, so instead of just making the guns use ammo, they decided to come up with this retarded "solution" where the heatsinks melted(?) or something and became useless over time, so instead of ammo you have heatsinks that work exactly like ammo. Oh, and it's only been a couple of years since ME1, but literally every gun in the universe changed to become compatible with this new type of non-ammo. You can't use your 3-year-old guns even if you want to. A wizard made them evaporate, I guess. Oh, and even if you visit Cerberus "lost" colonies that haven't been visited for decades, their guns somehow have the new type of non-ammo. I have a headache just typing that.

• Possibly the worst final boss of any sci-fi game, any RPG game, or any shooter game. Combined.

• Miranda. Everything about Miranda. I can't believe they thought anybody would like that character, she is the worst.

Ugh. Hated that game.

@Maciejasjmj said:

I was thinking of sending over something for the Potpourri, but what can you send from Poland?

I'm collecting used zoo admission tickets and the like.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Miranda. Everything about Miranda. I can't believe they thought anybody would like that character, she is the worst

yeah. she got a bit better in ME3 but still not good.

and me being the player that i am absolutely had to make sure i got the perfect ending.

got to say though, the worst part about her in ME2? was that damn loyalty mission. that was [copulation]ing messed up.

• @accalia said:

and me being the player that i am absolutely had to make sure i got the perfect ending.

Like that Awkward Zombie comic, I think most people were trying to arrange things so Miranda is the one to die. The developers loved her so much, it's almost impossible to kill her off. Possibly impossible, I'm too lazy to look at GameFAQs. (Any other character is easy to kill-off.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@Bort said:

That would be interesting. I imagine discodevs would say it's not useful enough to put effort into, and they might be right.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Like that Awkward Zombie comic, I think most people were trying to arrange things so Miranda is the one to die. The developers loved her so much, it's almost impossible to kill her off. Possibly impossible, I'm too lazy to look at GameFAQs. (Any other character is easy to kill-off.)

knowing the plot of ME3 it might just be literally impossible for her to die without also getting a critical mission failure.

Garrus is another one that's pretty hard to arrange for him to die. although not impossible as i seem to recall.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

What I hated is the stuff everybody else is somehow ok with, because they're all idiots:

At least it didn't have heart shaped buttons, eh?

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

At least it didn't have heart shaped buttons, eh?

might have been better if they did. I wonder if anyone's written a decent character model mod that added that as a feature?

• @accalia said:

knowing the plot of ME3 it might just be literally impossible for her to die without also getting a critical mission failure.

Meh.

They established at the beginning of ME2 that they can basically resurrect people, so even if she's "needed" by the plot of 3 (which, full disclosure, I haven't played), they could just pull that shit again.

They can resurrect people who have been floating exposed in space for ages, but they can't fix Joker's bum leg. I just want to point that out again because I don't know how they expected ANYBODY to swallow that suspension of disbelief.

• FoxDev

well, i went: it's a game. got it and moved on.

but if you wanted a better explanation i would guess it's this:

According to the game bringing Shepard back took the equivilent of the entire GDP of the planet earth for the two years they were bringing her back for.

and the planet earth is not modern planet earth but ME2 planet earth.

so that's a lot of money...

or you could just say it's a game and let it go at that. your choice.

• Right but, see, that's the problem: the pitch from the beginning was that this was going to be a great adventure planned-out in advance over 3 games, in a richly-constructed new sci-fi universe where you can play your own character from beginning to end.

As it turns out, none of that shit was true.

The universe wasn't richly constructed, it was full of plot-holes.

The game wasn't planned-out or the ending to ME3 wouldn't have been such shit. (In fact, there's an article I read somewhere talking about how the writers had to ass-pull an ending at the last minute.)

You can't play "your" character from beginning to end because ME2 has this terrible railroading which you have no choice but to accept.

I get the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing, but you have to remember how this series was sold to us. I have no patience for liars, and goddamned Bioware were liars in the marketing built-up to Mass Effect.

• FoxDev

Then i guess Mass Effect isn't for you. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game. Maybe there's a better one for you out there.

I like the ME universe, as evidenced by my SR2 model, as well as my femshep model.

@blakeyrat said:

Like that Awkward Zombie comic, I think most people were trying to arrange things so Miranda is the one to die.

Thanks for explaining that. I never played any of the ME games.

• @accalia said:

Then i guess Mass Effect isn't for you. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game. Maybe there's a better one for you out there.

Right, but I'm still mad that other people don't recognize how awful a game ME2 is. I gotta represent.

@blakeyrat said:

Right, but I'm still mad that other people don't recognize how awful a game ME2 is. I gotta represent.

This is blakey telling @accalia she's Doing It WrongTM.

blakey, what's it like to channel @codinghorror?

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

I gotta represent.

Duly Noted,
    [Please insert Pirates of the Caribbean image meme here]

However, i must say that other than the resource mining mini-game i thoroughly enjoyed the entire ME series and am looking forward the the fourth game (although i am still puzzled how they are going to pull that one off)

• Pfft. I've been saying ME2 was a shit game since before I knew who Atwood was.

• I kept a copy of The Art of War on my desk at my old job.