7Zip WTF

• What 7Zip do you mean? THe command line client? Self-Extracting GUI Archive? The File manager using Extract menu? The file manager using Drag&Drop? And what archive type (I assume 7z?)

I think others have already commented about Drag&Drop (yes, in that case it will really extract first all files and then copy them to the destination folder, as that is everything the original (Windows-2000 compatible) Drag&drop API supports, without installing a shell extension (like WinSCP does) that will slow down every Drag&drop operation regardless if it is from 7Zip or not. And you see from the icons that 7Zip's UI is quite old - but regardless it works fast and even on old OSes.

I tested SFX archive and Extract... from File manager (watched with SysInternals procmon) which did not create a temp file for .7z, but it did for .tar.xz (the tar file was stored on disk in Temp folder).
    And in case it matters, I extracted to D:, a partition of my hard disk (perhaps it handles network drives differently?)

• What was the point of you typing that post, mihi?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

What was the point of you typing that post, mihi?

What a dick.

• @mihi said:

(yes, in that case it will really extract first all files and then copy them to the destination folder, as that is everything the original (Windows-2000 compatible) Drag&drop API supports,

IDataObject has been around since W2k at a minimum, and so has IStream.

• Hmm, at a minimum? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms688421(v=vs.85).aspx claims:

Minimum supported client Windows 2000 Professional

Does that mean it does not work on Windows 2000 Standard, or does Windows just not want to tell me?

But probably I have to believe you :) The only reference I have is a (German) book (yes, as in dead-tree) about Shell APIs up to Windows 2000 (published shortly after) that claims drag&drop of files into other applications is only possible if the file is written to disk by the application where the drag is initiated. So either the author did not know that feature, or it did not work :)

Anyway, I'm really still interested if there are any non-drag&drop cases where 7-Zip extracts a 7Z file via temp folder, because I never encountered any, and I've been using 7-Zip since some 3.x version (don't remember which one) on Windows 2000. :)

• @mihi said:

Does that mean it does not work on Windows 2000 Standard, or does Windows just not want to tell me?

No such thing as 2k standard: Four editions of Windows 2000 were released: Professional, Server, Advanced Server, and Datacenter Server.

@mihi said:

I'm really still interested if there are any non-drag&drop cases where 7-Zip extracts a 7Z file via temp folder, because I never encountered any, and I've been using 7-Zip since some 3.x version

Same.

I seem to remember old IE downloading a file from the internet to temporary folder and then copying to the final destination as requested in the "save as" dialogue. But that could have been w95/98.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@mihi said:

What that means is that since no versions of Windows before Windows 2000 are supported any more, they mark it as the earliest supported version. That does not mean it didn't exist before then.

• @mihi said:

There's no such thing as "Windows 2000 Standard". Only Professional and Server.

You must be a young'un.

• @Zemm said:

No such thing as 2k standard: Four editions of Windows 2000 were released: Professional, Server, Advanced Server, and Datacenter Server.

And that's because Win2000 was the "professional" Windows at the time.
    The home Windows were Win98 and WinME.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

"Windows 2000 Standard". Only Professional and Server.

Not going back their ...

• @blakeyrat said:

There's no such thing as "Windows 2000 Standard". Only Professional and Server.

You must be a young'un.

I only had Professional because at that time I got it for free via MSDN Academic Alliance. Always thought there is some standard edition too. But if not, it at least explains that Professional is the lowest version they support.

Whether I am young is surely in the eye of the beholder. I started with Windows 3.0 on MS-DOS 5 on a 386SX with 2 MB of RAM and 60 MB of hard disk when I was what I myself would call young. You decide :)

• @mihi said:

I started with Windows 3.0 on MS-DOS 5 on a 386SX

Yes, definitely a young'un.

• "Professional" was part of MS's product rebranding. In NT4 and below, it was called "Workstation" instead.

• @powerlord said:

In NT4 and below, it was called "Workstation" instead.

[in case the image breaks again: Google image Search for "doesn'tworkstation"]

"If a train station is where a train stops, and a bus station is where a bus stops, what does this tell us about a workstation?"

• @boomzilla said:

[quote="blakeyrat, post:52, topic:3539]
    What was the point of you typing that post, mihi?

What a dick.
    [/quote]
    Now now. Try and give people the benefit of the doubt. He could just be ignorant of the norms of human behaviour. I shall assume his question was genuine, take it at face value, and answer it honestly:

Blakey, the point of mihi's writing that post was to add relevant information to the discussion.

Now, what was the point of you writing your post?

• Because @blakeyrat is a dick, like boomzilla said.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Yes, definitely a young'un.

Agreed. I remember punch cards as a kid.

• I used punch cards in college — community college; had 110 baud hard-copy terminals when I transferred to university.

• @HardwareGeek said:

I used punch cards in college — community college; had 110 baud hard-copy terminals when I transferred to university.

Yup. On a system known as MUSIC (McGill Univ System for Interactive Computing, if I remember right). Never understood what the "I" was until I transferred to a 4yr uni. (Lab privileges would be revoked if you interactively compiled). Finally threw away all my Silent 700 output a few years ago - thermal paper isn't very good at aging.