More Destiny

• @tarunik said:

FYI: Eve's actually one of the least grindy MMOs you'll run into.

@tarunik said:

5 days of training isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things

I ain't done no grinding nothing in WOW that took no 5 days.

@tarunik said:

1. is more than pretty much any other MMO out there will let you do

This assumes people give a shit. I believe 95% of people do not. My belief is backed-up by looking at what MMOs are popular.

@tarunik said:

2. is the gateway into an entire realm of craziness (Eve 0.0 politics are insane)

I get enough of that shit in real life.

@tarunik said:

Eve isn't exactly the giant pile of 14-year-olds people make online games out to be.

No, it's full of 34-year-olds who still act like 14-year-olds.

@tarunik said:

Yeah, I'll agree with you that mining is a pretty boring path to go down.

Back when the game launched, this is all there was. Shoot a laser at a rock. Go to sell the rock. Shoot a laser at a rock. Now you're 57 years older.

• @blakeyrat said:

tarunik:
    5 days of training isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things

My understanding of that is it is five actual days, but all you as a player are doing is saying start timer that runs in the background while you are doing other junk in the game.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Then you haven't tried. It took me a couple of months to get a Raven Lord, running Sethekk Halls once a day on a 90. That takes maybe 10 minutes? I know a guy who said he ran it 4 times a day (once each on 4 different 90s), for about 6 months.

Then, ironically-in-the-Alanis-Morrisette-sense, I got a second one a week later. Post THAT in guild chat and see how fast people bitch.

• @locallunatic said:

My understanding of that is it is five actual days, but all you as a player are doing is saying start timer that runs in the background while you are doing other junk in the game.

Yes, or even when you aren't playing at all. I'd rather deal with five, or even thirty, days of patience then having to fight the RNG X hours/day for those five or thirty days. Heck, I could be halfway around the world, on a beach, with no internet connection, for a month, and come back to Eve no worse off than I was when I left on the trip. Try that in WoW...

P.S. Eve does take some skill to play semi-effectively, but most of it lies in the management aspects of the game (and to some degree in metagame ingenuity as well), which is how things should be in a MMO. Or, is your definition of skill limited to twitch and twitch alone?

@FrostCat said:

Then you haven't tried. It took me a couple of months to get a Raven Lord, running Sethekk Halls once a day on a 90. That takes maybe 10 minutes? I know a guy who said he ran it 4 times a day (once each on 4 different 90s), for about 6 months.

Then, ironically-in-the-Alanis-Morrisette-sense, I got a second one a week later. Post THAT in guild chat and see how fast people bitch.

Fighting the RNG to get what you want makes for lousy gameplay, especially considering there are people out there who are like "Raven Lord? Bleh, I don't want this/already have this!" and shove it (or the spare) into storage, never to be seen again. Then again, soulbinding is one of many misfeatures of WoW, in my book.

Filed under: Why would you ever break money? That sounds like such a terrible idea...

• Decoded a legendary engram that had an image of gauntlets in the icon into 3 Strange Coins. WTF.

• @FrostCat said:

Then you haven't tried.

Right, because it's fucking boring as shit.

• The spawning placement sounds like a problem, but I can't fault the matchmaking for putting people not already in a fireteam into a strike that's in progress. On the flip side, I know someone who got put in a strike about 5-10 seconds before it ended (and so got the credit for it).
    As has been already mentioned, if you're in a fireteam already, you should get a fresh strike. (Btw, playing on XBO or 360, Blakey? May not mind doing some runs with you if our game time ever overlaps)

As for the Reef cutscene, I think it's one of the few you won't get to see again until you roll another toon and get back to that point. What's really annoying is there are quite a few cutscenes that will replay when you do the mission they're a part of (eg. Riksis in the Cosmodrone, which has a bounty for it) that you can't skip even though you've seen it before >_<

• @Spencer said:

(Btw, playing on XBO or 360, Blakey? May not mind doing some runs with you if our game time ever overlaps)

Xbox One. My Xbox Live handle is not "blakeyrat". I don't know who that is.

• Cool, I'm on XBO too. I hadn't tried adding you yet, figured it might not have been "blakeyrat". Coincidently, mine isn't "Spencer" either.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I'm not really disagreeing with you, and the idea about the timers doesn't sound bad, but I'm still not sure I'd like to play Eve.

• kills Dumbledore

@tarunik said:

Sounds like you ran into a bit of a worse bunch than usual, then.

This is always the excuse whenever someone complains about an online community being hostile to newcomers.

• @jaloopa said:

This is always the excuse whenever someone complains about an online community being hostile to newcomers.

What's this community's excuse?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Arantor said:

Why should newcomers get special treatment?

• @boomzilla said:

Why should newcomers get special treatment?

I certainly didn't haha

• @blakeyrat said:

I fail to finish my bounty due to above, so I figure: ok I'm like 4-5 levels behind on the story missions so I'll do some of those. I do a story mission on Venus which leads to a new story mission on Reef. Select Reef as my destination, hit Go.

Oops my phone rings while it's loading the mission. I walk away from my Xbox to take the phone call, talk to my dad for awhile, and when I get back-- WTF? My ship's back in orbit? Why? What happened on Reef? I guess my character died. Oh well, I'll just revisit it and--

I'm a bit late to the party here, but you know that a ringing phone is only a request for you to answer it, right?

Well, unless you're on call and it's your work ringing with a problem, of course. But your call was not that. Sure, it's a bit rude(*) to ignore an incoming call because of a video game, but it isn't against the law. So you get maybe half a WTF point for that, i.e. nowhere near as much as they get for making it hard to go back and find out what happened.

(*) Having seen your responses to things, I wonder why you would worry about being rude... ;)

• Some of us don't get phone calls often so when we do, it may well be from people that actually matter. Of course, some of us also set our phones to ring different ringtones depending on who's calling and calls from family members usually get answered... right?

• @Arantor said:

Some of us don't get phone calls often so when we do, it may well be from people that actually matter. Of course, some of us also set our phones to ring different ringtones depending on who's calling and calls from family members usually get answered... right?

Communications from people who matter reach me by email or SMS/MMS/iMessage, and occasionally by FaceBook Messenger. A ringing phone in my flat means telemarketers, so it generally gets ignored.

• Yes, not all of us are in that situation ;)

• Your mom uses SMS and not telephones?

That may be true, but trust me: you're the weird one here, not me.

• BINNED

@Arantor said:

We're The REAL WTF!

• Mine uses both and it seems random as to which one she'll use.

Also, apparently @Steve_The_Cynic doesn't that cellphones have "caller ID" on them, so you can tell when someone important is calling.

• @powerlord said:

Mine uses both and it seems random as to which one she'll use.

Also, apparently @Steve_The_Cynic doesn't that cellphones have "caller ID" on them, so you can tell when someone important is calling.

Sorry, I meant the land line, not the mobile. Very few people call the mobile (and almost all of them are wrong numbers), and the only people who call my land line(*) seem to be telemarketers, possibly because I give it out to nobody, so it's only autodiallers who hit it.

(*) Well, no, it's not a conventional POTS land line. I have one of those, but it only has my ADSL router thingy connected to it. There's a via-internet phone number that connects to that box, and it's that number that gets telemarketers calling.

• @blakeyrat said:

Your mom uses SMS and not telephones?

That may be true, but trust me: you're the weird one here, not me.

Following a major falling-out, I haven't communicated with any of my family in any way for at least eight years, so I've no idea how they'd try to send me anything. That may qualify as weird, of course.

• @Spencer said:

As for the Reef cutscene, I think it's one of the few you won't get to see again until you roll another toon and get back to that point.

I believe that if you replay the prior mission it will show that cutscene again at the end. I could be confusing it with the other Reef cutscene, however.

• You might be, but I haven't played through that first mission on Venus again yet.

The first time you go to the Reef (ie. the first time you meet the Queen and her fuckwit, asshole brother) you select the Reef like you're about to go to any other mission. After the cut scene you should be in orbit and ready to select the missions leading up to taking down a Gate Lord on Venus.
    The second time you're at the Reef is after you've taken down the Gate Lord, but this is an automatic cut scene that plays at the end of the mission.