The minor rants thread.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@antiquarian said in The minor rants thread.:

@anonymous234 said in The minor rants thread.:

People who go on Q&A websites and respond to questions with a completely unrelated answer because they couldn't even bother reading the title properly should be put in the pillory in the town square and publicly flogged.

Yes, and when you're done, please also flog people who ask questions on Q&A websites and argue with all of the answers.

Followed by those who post the only response whose content is "I'm also having this problem".

• @mikehurley said in The minor rants thread.:

@antiquarian said in The minor rants thread.:

People who go on Q&A websites and respond to questions with a completely unrelated answer because they couldn't even bother reading the title properly should be put in the pillory in the town square and publicly flogged.

Yes, and when you're done, please also flog people who ask questions on Q&A websites and argue with all of the answers.

Followed by those who post the only response whose content is "I'm also having this problem".

Double flogs for those who come back and post that they found the solution with no further elaboration.

• I live in rainy-ish city, not UK rainy levels, but we have in average a good rain every 6 days. so one would expect that people(car drivers more specifically) know how to behave when it's raining. but no, every fucking rain the highways and streets get clogged because assholes can't keep the breaking distance needed to stop if someone decides to stop.
    last thursday someone rear ended me and her excuse was: "everyone stopped so fast and the street is slippery today".

aaand, the cherry on top: her insurer says her insurance is expired so they aren't paying for the repairs

0_1499717024323_f3cf0d2d-06c6-4d58-a881-89a32f53d0dc-image.png

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@jarry said in The minor rants thread.:

her insurer says her insurance is expired so they aren't paying for the repairs

People are allowed to drive without valid liability insurance where you live? :eek:

• BINNED

@asdf said in The minor rants thread.:

People are allowed

They probably aren't but that doesn't always stop them.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@luhmann said in The minor rants thread.:

I hope she at least lost her license for that.

• kills Dumbledore

@asdf said in The minor rants thread.:

her insurer says her insurance is expired so they aren't paying for the repairs

People are allowed to drive without valid liability insurance where you live? :eek:

It's not required in New Zealand

It is not compulsory in New Zealand to have car insurance. However, it is recommended that you get third party insurance at least so if you cause an accident, you are covered for any damage you cause to other cars

• @asdf what @Luhmann said. not having at least a third party insurance is the same as driving without a license or under influence. but idiots still drive without it.
    this woman in particular is claiming she didn't knew the insurance # she gave me was expired, and that she'll give me the new one soon. i'm not sure if i believe that...

• kills Dumbledore

this woman in particular is claiming she didn't knew the insurance # she gave me was expired, and that she'll give me the new one soon

Cue her frantically calling insurers and seeing if they'll backdate the start of a policy

• FoxDev

0_1499859497589_d781b95c-ab95-40d0-8c63-3c7f2c7de42a-image.png
    Why is it so hard for people to process HTML entities correctly‽

• wtfdevice's c-lib doesn't recognize the "%lld" printf format :angry:

• @anonymous234 said in The minor rants thread.:

People who go on Q&A websites and respond to questions with a completely unrelated answer

Also, people who respond with "why would you want to do that?"

• BINNED

@boner said in The minor rants thread.:

"why would you want to do that?"

She blinded me with science.

• @raceprouk said in The minor rants thread.:

Why is it so hard for people to process HTML entities correctly‽

It

's better than having the opposite problem.

NodeBBistency: Using the quote button encodes all the &s as &, but highlight-replying doesn't, letting the entities get automagically decoded.

• BINNED

@boner said in The minor rants thread.:

Also, people who respond with "why would you want to do that?"

Sometimes that is the correct answer. Some Q&A sites get a lot of really stupid questions. coughquoracough

• kills Dumbledore

@hungrier said in The minor rants thread.:

NodeBBistency: Using the quote button encodes all the &s as &, but highlight-replying doesn't, letting the entities get automagically decoded.

Highlight reply works on the text as displayed. Quote gives you the entire raw

• @luhmann said in The minor rants thread.:

One reason we have uninsured motorists insurance (I think it's required).

Sue their ass!

• @raceprouk There IS that golf game about giant robots knocking down cities while playing golf.

• Dear Microsoft: under no circumstances does it make any sense for Windows to "fail to disconnect" from a bluetooth device. Fix your shit.

• Also Microsoft: that option in Word that says "automatically detect language" does not work, and has never worked. At all.

Have you, in the 26 years of life of Microsoft Office, ever bothered to test it once?

• Today: Trying to install Visual Studio For Mac

13:54:04 Jarry | "Installation successful"
    13:54:17 Jarry | i think i'll be the one to judge that VS
    13:54:26 Jarry | last time it wont even start
    13:54:39 Jarry | "Visual Studio path not specified. Cannot launch the IDE."
    13:54:42 Jarry | EKEKEKEKEKEKEKKEKEE
    13:54:54 mrguyorama | I thought VS for mac was an entirely different implementation, like in electron
    13:55:36 Jarry | that's VS code
    13:55:54 Jarry | Visual Studio for mac is Xamarin Studio rebranded
    13:56:18 Jarry | it's like .netcore, .netstandard and .Net
    13:56:23 Jarry | simple ~~
    13:58:29 Jarry | uninstalled
    13:58:34 Jarry | and now to try it again
    14:00:16 Jarry | nice, it has no cache
    14:00:28 Jarry | it just started downloading everything AGAIN
    14:06:18 Jarry | "Path Not specified, cannot start IDE"
    14:06:29 Jarry | go home installer, you're drunk
    14:07:09 Jarry | so, the installer says everything is allright
    14:07:30 Jarry | me: Hey macOS, start Visual Studio
    14:07:59 Jarry | macOS: no can do pal, there's no such thing as Visual Studio
    14:08:07 Jarry | me: wat?
    14:08:12 Jarry | installer: wat?
    14:09:56 * | Jarry relaunch installer
    14:10:44 Jarry | installer: Hey! i'm VS installer, i'm now going to download it all AGAIN, because last time it didn't install
    14:11:26 mrguyorama | See, on windows, I'd be using process monitor to find out exactly wtf it thinks it's doing that's failing
    14:11:30 mrguyorama | no idea how to do that on mac
    14:11:47 * | Jarry this thing is worse than ten seconds tom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7WuvNKe_g
    14:11:56 Jarry | there's a monitor
    14:12:09 Jarry | but it doesn't fail, it doesn't hang up
    14:12:16 Jarry | it just says "i'm done"
    14:12:20 Jarry | and nothing happens
    14:13:38 Jarry | this time it restarted from 42%
    14:15:17 Jarry | sorry for flooding the channel, i need to do catharsis, else i'm going to break something
    14:15:19 Jarry | It was not possible to complete an automatic installation. This might be due to a problem with your network, proxy servers or an
    | unsolvable
    | installation conflict. At this point, you can continue the installation by manually downloading and installing the independent
    | pieces. The list below shows each component that you need to install.
    14:15:35 Jarry | ASfkdaisdakudgbauf

0_1502818040788_32f43d0a-fdc3-4273-be74-63b26b483b53-image.png

• Notification Spam Recipient

Today: Trying to install Visual Studio For Mac

13:54:04 Jarry | "Installation successful"
    13:54:17 Jarry | i think i'll be the one to judge that VS
    13:54:26 Jarry | last time it wont even start
    13:54:39 Jarry | "Visual Studio path not specified. Cannot launch the IDE."
    13:54:42 Jarry | EKEKEKEKEKEKEKKEKEE
    13:54:54 mrguyorama | I thought VS for mac was an entirely different implementation, like in electron
    13:55:36 Jarry | that's VS code
    13:55:54 Jarry | Visual Studio for mac is Xamarin Studio rebranded
    13:56:18 Jarry | it's like .netcore, .netstandard and .Net
    13:56:23 Jarry | simple ~~
    13:58:29 Jarry | uninstalled
    13:58:34 Jarry | and now to try it again
    14:00:16 Jarry | nice, it has no cache
    14:00:28 Jarry | it just started downloading everything AGAIN
    14:06:18 Jarry | "Path Not specified, cannot start IDE"
    14:06:29 Jarry | go home installer, you're drunk
    14:07:09 Jarry | so, the installer says everything is allright
    14:07:30 Jarry | me: Hey macOS, start Visual Studio
    14:07:59 Jarry | macOS: no can do pal, there's no such thing as Visual Studio
    14:08:07 Jarry | me: wat?
    14:08:12 Jarry | installer: wat?
    14:09:56 * | Jarry relaunch installer
    14:10:44 Jarry | installer: Hey! i'm VS installer, i'm now going to download it all AGAIN, because last time it didn't install
    14:11:26 mrguyorama | See, on windows, I'd be using process monitor to find out exactly wtf it thinks it's doing that's failing
    14:11:30 mrguyorama | no idea how to do that on mac
    14:11:47 * | Jarry this thing is worse than ten seconds tom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7WuvNKe_g
    14:11:56 Jarry | there's a monitor
    14:12:09 Jarry | but it doesn't fail, it doesn't hang up
    14:12:16 Jarry | it just says "i'm done"
    14:12:20 Jarry | and nothing happens
    14:13:38 Jarry | this time it restarted from 42%
    14:15:17 Jarry | sorry for flooding the channel, i need to do catharsis, else i'm going to break something
    14:15:19 Jarry | It was not possible to complete an automatic installation. This might be due to a problem with your network, proxy servers or an
    | unsolvable
    | installation conflict. At this point, you can continue the installation by manually downloading and installing the independent
    | pieces. The list below shows each component that you need to install.
    14:15:35 Jarry | ASfkdaisdakudgbauf

0_1502818040788_32f43d0a-fdc3-4273-be74-63b26b483b53-image.png

TL;DR: Don't use the Online Installer if possible.

• @tsaukpaetra yeah, but you need the installer to fail, just to get the correct links.

• Two related complaints here:

• It's quite a nice feature in Windows 10 that you can turn different types of notifications off or on, or configure the settings (for instance: don't play that wretched noise) individually, rather than all or nothing. But what would be extra specially nice would be the ability to set a default you can apply exceptions to, or the ability to apply a setting to all notifications, or the ability to turn the damn sound off from the main notifications page.
      Any of the three would do. Having the sound off by by default would be better than nowt. Microsoft opted instead for 'scroll down to the first of (on my work machine) eight notification senders; select it; change the desired setting; hit the back button (no 'ok' or 'apply'), and then scroll down again because it won't remember position; rinse and repeat.'

• Why does no-one other than me think it might be a good idea to keep your work computer that you rarely or never need to play any media on muted by default when working in an open-plan office. I suppose it's possible that people actually want the notification sound, but I can't imagine why when you can't even tell if it's your computer making that irritating bong because everyone else in the room has the same OS.

• @carrievs said in The minor rants thread.:

Why does no-one other than me think it might be a good idea to keep your work computer that you rarely or never need to play any media on muted by default when working in an open-plan office. I suppose it's possible that people actually want the notification sound, but I can't imagine why when you can't even tell if it's your computer making that irritating bong because everyone else in the room has the same OS.

A real design flaw; that bong.wav should allow customization, like nelson_ha_ha.wav, idiot.wav or sad_trombone.wav by example.

That will also spice-up the open-plan ambient, no ?

:trollface:

• What is the point of allowing me to add an icon for a frequently-accessed app to my phone's menu screen when it will randomly vanish at some point in the future?

@da-doctah said in The minor rants thread.:

What is the point of allowing me to add an icon for a frequently-accessed app to my phone's menu screen when it will randomly vanish at some point in the future?

0_1505338213743_Screenshot_20170913-142916.png

Your phone is :doing_it_wrong: I've had some of these shortcuts for years...

• @da-doctah That's Android removing icons of apps on the SD card on every boot, because fuck you, that's why.

• Considered Harmful

@da-doctah That's Android removing icons of apps on the SD card on every boot, because fuck you, that's why.

You're either using the wrong launcher or the wrong Android.

apps on the SD card

BE GLAD YOU HAVE THAT FEATURE AND CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!

• :belt_onion:

@tsaukpaetra said in The minor rants thread.:

What is the point of allowing me to add an icon for a frequently-accessed app to my phone's menu screen when it will randomly vanish at some point in the future?

WHY IS IT NOT SYMMETRICAL

@sloosecannon said in The minor rants thread.:

... Because over the years I've moved stuff around and haven't defragmented the layout yet? ;)

Edit: better?

0_1505362986343_Screenshot_20170913-212217.png

• :belt_onion:

@sloosecannon said in The minor rants thread.:

... Because over the years I've moved stuff around and haven't defragmented the layout yet? ;)

Edit: better?

0_1505362986343_Screenshot_20170913-212217.png

Much better.

• @cabrito said in The minor rants thread.:

that bong.wav should allow customization

0_1505411387384_411f6bcd-8be6-4aee-a21b-647759664ec3-image.png

Or are you talking about a different one?

• Finally over my @wharrgarbl moment of the day.

So, we had a big presentation in our assembly hall today and, in my role as the resident tech wizard, I was asked to provide some microphones and also get the big beamer working (which is mounted under the ceiling).

Some background: Since the cable lengths involved are a bit impractical for HDMI, we have a media converter on stage (HDMI & VGA to CAT5) and another one above the beamer doing the reverse. So far so rational. However, the original cabling lead to the first converter's RJ45 port residing in a lockable space in the floor directly below the beamer.

This was deemed impractical because most presenters like their laptops next to them and not 15 meters opposite of them at the other end of the room.

The solution: Run another CAT5 cable to this space, connect this to another RJ45 port and connect the two ports with a short patch cable.

Well, okay. Should work. Only problem: It wasn't an electrician who installed this but rather a fucking plumber. How do I know? Easy: The cables he used were a bit too long. But instead of shortening them he stuffed them in that space. Like, six meters worth.

Which lead to a cable rupture I found out about today - it was rather easy to discern: If I moved the cable to this position we'd have a picture. Otherwise not. Well, just let it stay at this position, you say?
    Yeah, I'd do that if not for two problems:
    a) This position involved creating a tripping hazard, i.e. the cable was above floor level and not inside the space and
    b) the accuracy requirements were about +/- 1 mm, which meant that if someone was only glancing in the general direction of the cable we'd see black once again.

Alright, so the big beamer was out of order (at least until I can rip the plumber a new one). But due to our renovation we have about 20 spare "normal" beamers. Not great, but at least something.

Got one of those out of our IT room, set it up. Tried to switch it on. No dice. Damn, probably broken.

Got the next one, set it up. Tried to switch it on. No dice.

Okay, one is coincidence, two is enemy action. Checked the power sockets (also residing in such spaces in the floor) - they were without power. So, tripped circuit breaker probably.

Hunted for the key to the circuit breaker cabinet (still don't know why I don't have a key to that - after all, it's me who's suffering from those all the time!). Yeah, tripped fault current breaker, even!

And thus, a task which should have taken me only 5 minutes amounted to 50 minutes total. Gah.

Our superintendent told me afterwards that the tripped breaker was probably due to another electrician plumber working on the power sockets next to the ones I was trying to use.

• ♿ (Parody)

Fucking Google Hangouts. Google removed the Google Voice plugin a couple of years ago (due to removing whatever that sort of plugin was) and they've never made hangouts capable of using a headset.

Well, it might work if you set the headset as the default output and microphone but who wants that? I even have my headset microphone set in Chrome (where the hangouts extension lives) and it can't fucking figure it out.

• Impossible Mission - B

@rhywden said in The minor rants thread.:

the big beamer

???

• @masonwheeler No, more like this:

0_1506542857871_afd355fc-fed8-4c30-a399-2780b4c6bb72-image.png

• BINNED

@hungrier
    I call a fake ... it is a BMW with indicator lights ... can't be

• Impossible Mission - B

@luhmann What are indicator lights?

That thing looks like it's got a pretty standard set of car lights: headlights, turn signals, and fog lamps, just like any other modern car.

• People that can't keep meetings to the allotted time. That's all. That's my rant.

• kills Dumbledore

@masonwheeler said in The minor rants thread.:

What are indicator lights?

turn signals

Well done, you answered your own question

• Impossible Mission - B

@jaloopa Then why not call them turn signals?

• kills Dumbledore

@masonwheeler why not spell aluminium with enough "I"s?

• Impossible Mission - B

@jaloopa I spell aluminum with exactly enough "I"s, TYVM.

• kills Dumbledore

@masonwheeler and I use the right term for indicators so everybody's happy

• @luhmann said in The minor rants thread.:

@hungrier
    I call a fake ... it is a BMW with indicator lights ... can't be

No said they were functional.

@masonwheeler said in The minor rants thread.:

@jaloopa Then why not call them turn signals?

Because often enough they're also the same thing as hazard lights, but only when both turn signals are simultaneously synchronously blinking?

• @carrievs said in The minor rants thread.:

Why does no-one other than me think it might be a good idea to keep your work computer that you rarely or never need to play any media on muted by default when working in an open-plan office.

Never unplug your headset.

• @magus said in The minor rants thread.:

@carrievs said in The minor rants thread.:

Why does no-one other than me think it might be a good idea to keep your work computer that you rarely or never need to play any media on muted by default when working in an open-plan office.

Never unplug your headset.

That's what I do. Plus they're always handy when the group next to me has their *%$^ standup meeting.