Calling all rails devs

• Grade A Premium Asshole

I have been switching back and forth between two projects the past few days and each time I run in to errors that cause me to have to uninstall and reinstall Ruby. I know I am going about it wrong, so please tell me in what way I am being an idiot. (As for you @blakeyrat, I know your answer will be to tell me that I am an idiot, Rails sucks, I suck, I should just never touch code again and go work at McD's, etc. Got it, now carry on.)

I run Ubuntu Gnome 14.1 on VMWare Workstation, running RVM although I generally stick with 2.1.0 as project #1 requires it and project #2 could care less. I have not been working in RoR very long and Google has not turned up anything useful for me, though admittedly I have been under the weather, so my Google-Fu may not be up to snuff.

Is there a way to "clean" your RVM when switching between projects? Or is there some equivalent to virtualenv for Ruby?

• Banned

I thought they have gemsets and stuff.

Personally I use rbenv and it supports an arbitrary amount of ruby builds, you can just copy a folder and you are done, you have a clean sandbox.

Also, recommend you join http://parley.rubyrogues.com/ they are very helpful there and a lot less strict than Stack Overflow (even though this kind of question is fine on SO)

rbenv is the equivalent of virtualenv for Ruby? I saw a few references to it on SO, but those answers were not ranked very highly. All the answers I saw on SO tended to recommend RVM, but that does not get me a clean sandbox. Or at least it does not appear to.

The first time it happened to me I was about to pull my hair out. 'bundle install' would complete without error, but then it would shit itself when I would run 'rake db:create'.

Thank you for your answer @sam. Much appreciated. I will give it a try.

• Banned

bundle exec rake db:create

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014, Intercourse <use-the-contact-form@thedailywtf.com> wrote:

Intercourse September 23

rbenv is the equivalent of virtualenv for Ruby? I saw a few references to it on SO, but those answers were not ranked very highly. All the answers I saw on SO tended to recommend RVM, but that does not get me a clean sandbox. Or at least it does not appear to.

The first time it happened to me I was about to pull my hair out. 'bundle install' would complete without error, but then it would shit itself when I would run 'rake db:create'.

Thank you for your answer @sam. Much appreciated. I will give it a try.

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/calling-all-rails-devs/3398/3 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

• This may be the first ever use of the reply-by-email feature.

• It's not. Alex has posted more than once by email.

This is the first time it's been shown by anything other than the little mail icon next to the timestamp, due to email client joy.

@sam said:

bundle exec rake db:create

I knew I was forgetting something very remedial. I will go put on my dunce cap and sit in the corner. @blakeyrat sent it to me. It fits well.

• @Arantor said:

It's not. Alex has posted more than once by email.

I know I used it once, just to see if it worked. It did. Then I told Dicsores never to send me any more email.

• Well that sucks.

It's when you do this shit.

What the fuck is topquoting anyway?

Why is topquoting confusing?

#PSA