Another YouTube Wtf

• after reinstalling my pc on the weekend I thought I would check out a few Borat videos for a good laugh and to my disapointment I couldn't view any of the movies.    I had to install the flash player.     Sadly,  when I clicked on the link to install it I was redirected to a site that also tried to force me to download the Yahoo toolbar.  

Very funny considering Yahoo is forcing Google (who now owns the site) to install the Yahoo toolbar indirectly :) 

• Man I hate this "toolbar injection" hackers.

• The real wtf is that google didn't perform a site review before purchasing YouTube for over $1 billion.

• [quote user="Kev777"]

after reinstalling my pc on the weekend I thought I would check out a few Borat videos for a good laugh and to my disapointment I couldn't view any of the movies.    I had to install the flash player.     Sadly,  when I clicked on the link to install it I was redirected to a site that also tried to force me to download the Yahoo toolbar.  

Very funny considering Yahoo is forcing Google (who now owns the site) to install the Yahoo toolbar indirectly :) 

[/quote]

I guess you've never tried to install Adobe Acrobat Reader then. 

• Ummm.... YouTube dont control who makes Adobe Flash Player... so they have no control over what the adobe site tries to install.

And there is a tick box so that you dont have to install the toolbar.

I really fail to see the WTF?

• Actually, if you uncheck the box the installer doesn't work.    Even if you check it, only the yahoo tool bar gets installed

YouTube does have control over it because they can simply tell adobe to stop offering it for users that come from youtube.    

• I just went to YouTube earlier this week on a machine that was freshly initialised. It prompted me to install software, and had a checkbox for the Yahoo! toolbar. I unchecked the box, installed the prompted software, and watched the video. I did not get the Yahoo! toolbar, but since I could now watch the video, I would argue that the installer DOES work.

• [quote user="Kev777"]

Actually, if you uncheck the box the installer doesn't work.    Even if you check it, only the yahoo tool bar gets installed

YouTube does have control over it because they can simply tell adobe to stop offering it for users that come from youtube.    

[/quote]

You probably have activex or plugin installation disabled in your browser; of course it won't work in that case. No sense blaming Adobe, or YouTube of all things, for that.

And yeah, YouTube is just going to call up Adobe and it'll take that toolbar, the best way they have to monetize acrobat reader and flash player, right off. Because youtube has such an enourmous amount of clout with adobe, what with no revenue sharing between the two at all.

• [quote user="Kev777"]

[/quote]

YouTube has no control over it.  Their business model requires Flash, so they can't simply tell Adobe to go fuck themselves.  Adobe's business model does not require YouTube, so they can just tell YouTube to go fuck themselves.