Failure to post results in inability to post without changing content

• :belt_onion:

Continuing the discussion from The Official Likes Thread - Don't despair, David, you can get it back online again!:

@darkmatter said:

actually, suckered by crappy use of the word "holiday" to mean vacation rather than an actual holiday.
    WOO FAIL TO POST 500 ERROR FOLLOWED BY "BODY TOO SIMILAR" NO IT ISN"T YOU PIECE OF SHIT BECAUSE YOU FAILED TO POST THE LAST TIME.

@Matches

If your post fails from something like 500 Server internal error or connection loss, Ember UI doesn't capture the error correctly and keeps your post in its cache, so trying to re-post will result in the "Body too similar to what you recently posted" toaster despite the post not having actually gone through.

• Wait... Does that mean that the duplicate post validation is being performed on the client side?

• During the 504 melt-down, I had the opposite problem. There was no indication that my post actually posted, so I kept submitting it. I did, at one point, get one "Body too similar" toaster, but since the post still hadn't actually shown up on the page, I continued to submit it, and never got any more toasters. When the site started working again, the post had gone through twice.

• Any ability to repro this? I'm hesitant to file it because the server was shitting itself.

• :belt_onion:

@Matches said:

Any ability to repro this? I'm hesitant to file it because the server was shitting itself.

To repro, you would have to have some kind of server/network error on the first submission. The ui only removes the post from the stream when it receives a real error from the server, so 500 errors (or probably having your connection die momentarily on a mobile device) do cause ember to shit itself.