SSIS, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Continuing the discussion from Use Cases for proposed user interfaces - add your own design ideas, or criticize others':

@Maciejasjmj said:

It kind of reminds me of SSIS, and I really hate SSIS.

My biggest complaints about SSIS:

• Most of my packages set connection info at run-time because the environments are different in development, test and production. Without setting the connections to delay validation, the job history gets spammed with useless warnings.
    • Mapping a text file into Unicode data columns involves endless pointing and clicking when setting up the data conversion transformation.
    • If the file layout and line endings aren't exactly as expected, it either blows up entirely (best case), or silently puts data in incorrect columns.
    • Speaking of file layout, did they ever fix it so CSV files could contain quotes in the data?

• Don't get me started. I turn off schema validation on everything because it has never caught a situation where running the package would have been a bad idea and it has stopped like a billion of my packages from running when there was a trivial change to the source data that couldn't have affected the package.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.