Programming Confessions Thread

• Impossible Mission - B

@lordofduct said in Programming Confessions Thread:

Notepad++

Gah!

That belongs in the Hall of Fame for programs that look like they should be really useful but turn out to be worthless because they get all the details wrong.

For example, the tabs. It has a multi-tab interface, but CTRL-TAB works based on most recent use rather than anything intuitive or predictable such as the actual order the tabs are in, (as you would expect as every multitab program ever does it that way,) and CTRL-F4, the universal hotkey to close a tab, does not close tabs.

And that's just scratching the surface. For the life of me I cannot understand how a program so full of screwups and bad design got so popular!

• @lordofduct said in Programming Confessions Thread:

(lol, and you did exactly what I said... took one small sub section of my rant out of context and made it out that I was claiming only that in absolute)

No, I'm calling you an idiot for continuing to say that XNA is just a framework. You continue to say there are no tools or content pipeline, even though that is patently false. XNA was created with XNA Studio packaged. All of that and the other tools people have created exist, and continue to work with Monogame.

Which is why I don't feel any kind of guilt calling you a complete idiot. You are straight up stupid, with no awareness of the world around you. You are cut off from reality in a sense so severe Descartes's solipsistic spawn are more connected than you.

• Impossible Mission - B

@Magus Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender waves to him. "Welcome! Can I get you a beer?" he asks with a smile.

"I think not," Descartes says, and promptly vanishes.

• @masonwheeler said in Programming Confessions Thread:

That belongs in the Hall of Fame for programs that look like they should be really useful but turn out to be worthless because they get all the details wrong.

I use it all the time. Recently they made a change - before, dragging in a folder would recursively open all the files - great! But now it opens this weird sidebar with the folder tree, and the old behavior is forever gone.

@masonwheeler said in Programming Confessions Thread:

For example, the tabs. It has a multi-tab interface, but CTRL-TAB works based on most recent use rather than anything intuitive or predictable

I've never used it...wow, it doesn't even switch tabs until you let go...

CTRL-F4, the universal hotkey to close a tab, does not close tabs.

TIL. I've always used Ctrl+W in pretty much every application ever.

And that's just scratching the surface. For the life of me I cannot understand how a program so full of screwups and bad design got so popular!

Because it works just well enough that people would rather use it and contribute to it than make something from scratch.

• @Magus said in Programming Confessions Thread:

(lol, and you did exactly what I said... took one small sub section of my rant out of context and made it out that I was claiming only that in absolute)

No, I'm calling you an idiot for continuing to say that XNA is just a framework. You continue to say there are no tools or content pipeline, even though that is patently false. XNA was created with XNA Studio packaged. All of that and the other tools people have created exist, and continue to work with Monogame.

1. we were talking about Monogame

2. XNA studio package, ok, so some tools built into Visual Studio that facilitate coding? They're still not the entire game engine, I still have to integrate all the other auxiliary bits and chunks. And they're still not tools like a scene editor.

Which is fine, if I want that control. But I don't need it.

1. 3rd party tools. Awesome, 3rd party tools exist. But they're not out of the box. I still have to hunt them down and integrate them as well.

Which is why I don't feel any kind of guilt calling you a complete idiot. You are straight up stupid, with no awareness of the world around you. You are cut off from reality in a sense so severe Descartes's solipsistic spawn are more connected than you.

Sure, you think I'm stupid.

Because I think there's a distinct difference between the entire suite that comes with Unity, Unreal, and the ilk. And Monogame/XNA which is designed more with freedom to integrate what you want into it.

I'm not saying Monogame or XNA suck. I'VE USED XNA back when it was alive (not so much Monogame, I only tinkered with it).

But they're not in the same league. Hell... Unity I would say is in more of the 'dumb' league for people who don't want freedoms. Like Monogame is linux, where you have to put it together yourself, or hunt down a distro set up like you want. Where as Unity is more like Windows or Mac, it just is... if you don't like it, fuck you, deal with it.

Each have their ups and downs to it.

But I mean fuck, this was like 2 sentences out of an entire rant... and you don't even mention it correctly. I said:

I mean srsly, Monogame is just XNA since it went defunct, and XNA is just ManagedDX since it went defunct, which is just a managed DirectX.

I probably should have said "pretty much" or "kind of"... I was drunk. Meh. And sure... maybe you don't agree with my use of the word 'Framework'... it's just what XNA was called "XNA Framework", that's why I'm using the word. But it's still distinctly different from Unity in the way the software is delivered. 3rd party tools be damned... I still need to find those 3rd party tools. I mean hell, DX has 3rd party tools.

But I guess I'm an idiot.

You're a schmuck.

I guess we're even.

So whatever.

• @lordofduct said in Programming Confessions Thread:

• we were talking about Monogame

• XNA studio package, ok, so some tools built into Visual Studio that facilitate coding? They're still not the entire game engine, I still have to integrate all the other auxiliary bits and chunks. And they're still not tools like a scene editor.

Monogame is a reimplementation of XNA, made so that all existing XNA tools would continue to work.

As for what XNA Studio is, you apparently still don't know, because it is precisely what you've been saying it doesn't have, despite me telling you that it is for at least five posts.

I'm calling you an idiot because you cannot read or observe the world around you in any way. And you have yet to disprove me on that point.

• @Magus yep, I'm an idiot

I understand...

or maybe I don't, I'm so stupid afterall.

[Notepad++] belongs in the Hall of Fame for programs that look like they should be really useful but turn out to be worthless because they get all the details wrong.

For example, the tabs. It has a multi-tab interface, but CTRL-TAB works based on most recent use rather than anything intuitive or predictable such as the actual order the tabs are in, (as you would expect as every multitab program ever does it that way,) and CTRL-F4, the universal hotkey to close a tab, does not close tabs.

This is actually configurable: Settings -> Preferences -> MISC. -> Document Switcher (Ctrl+TAB) -> Enable MRU behaviour
    You're welcome.

• @Medinoc Now you just have to figure out what "MRU" means or how the user'd be expected to know that.

I think they should change that caption to read, "work correctly".

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@masonwheeler
    not to mention the really shitty auto-complete. That defaults to on, and requires delving through 3 menus and hiring Angelina Jolie to be able to turn it off.

Not that there's anything wrong with patronizing Angelina Jolie...

• @izzion Camilla Luddington is the Tomb Raider now.

• Impossible Mission - B

@Medinoc said in Programming Confessions Thread:

This is actually configurable: Settings -> Preferences -> MISC. -> Document Switcher (Ctrl+TAB) -> Enable MRU behaviour
    You're welcome.

Thanks!

Now is there any way to make CTRL-F4 work?

• @masonwheeler Settings -> Shortcut Mapper

0_1469554511394_upload-ec4901c8-e676-41c9-a950-24b5a040cb4b

• area_can

@blakeyrat you learn something new every day!

• @GinoMan I thought dependency injection was more about exposing hidden dependencies, e.g. instead of having code everywhere get the current date with just new Date(), instead require it to be passed in as a parameter. This automatically has some side benefits.

• I have a confession to make. I still don't really grok threading, async, mutexes, synchronization, etc. - it all seems so confusing and dangerous and there are so many different opinions and approaches that it feels overwhelming, so I've been slacking off from learning anything. I don't know where to start after having learned the bare basics.

• @LB_ That's because it's crazily hard, and you need to consider a huge number of things to do it. It's safer to be scared of it than to break things in some ways. Still, in C# at least, async code isn't too hard to write, and you can just not think about it too hard.

• 🚽 Regular

@Lathun said in Programming Confessions Thread:

I was actually thinking yesterday how crappy the weather is here in terms of extremes. In winter it can get into the negatives and in the summer it goes up to the 90s, it is a huge range of temperatures.

I myself live in Western New York. Well. More like the border between Western and Central. We see it all here.

• @LB_ Functional programming was the springboard into all the multithreading I do. Which is mostly Pool.map(function,iterable) but it works great, so.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@LB_ If you want to learn async, work with Node. It forces you to think that way, and the things you find yourself missing are the drawbacks of fa pure async architecture so you learn the downsides as well.

• @Lathun said in Programming Confessions Thread:

@lordofduct My brother works at VV, which is how I know about it. It is also the only video game studio I know of around where I live so I've looked into it before.

Oh, you're up in the Albany region?

Nice area. I still have some friends and a cousin up there. My buddy in question has since moved on (he didn't like the cold), but I make my way up their regularly to see my other friends. I'm technically from Massachusetts, so I also go there to see friends and fam as well.

Coincidentally, I'm going there next week.

Yeah, I was born and raised in Upstate New York - about 30-40 minutes away from Albany.
    I was actually thinking yesterday how crappy the weather is here in terms of extremes. In winter it can get into the negatives and in the summer it goes up to the 90s, it is a huge range of temperatures.

Massachusetts is nice, my parents used to take me to Cape Cod every year and Boston is a really nice city, at least from what I've seen.

I grew up in upstate New York...3 hours to the Northeast of Albany. Being as close to Albany as you were...you did not have as crappy weather as I am accustomed to. Lake effect snow, anyone?

I was in LA in December at one time. While it was cool for shorts and sandals, I'm pretty stubborn. A homeless guy asked for money referring to the cold. I said, "I'm from upstate NY; I laugh at your cold."

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said in Programming Confessions Thread:

Ok here's two protips

Did he ask for protips?

• Fake News

Gah!

[Notepad++] belongs in the Hall of Fame for programs that look like they should be really useful but turn out to be worthless because they get all the details wrong.

Have you ever tried CTRL-TAB in Visual Studio? It uses the same MRU behavior.

BTW: The default "Next tab" shortcut appears to be CTRL-PageUp.

• @Karla said in Programming Confessions Thread:

@lordofduct My brother works at VV, which is how I know about it. It is also the only video game studio I know of around where I live so I've looked into it before.

Oh, you're up in the Albany region?

Nice area. I still have some friends and a cousin up there. My buddy in question has since moved on (he didn't like the cold), but I make my way up their regularly to see my other friends. I'm technically from Massachusetts, so I also go there to see friends and fam as well.

Coincidentally, I'm going there next week.

Yeah, I was born and raised in Upstate New York - about 30-40 minutes away from Albany.

Massachusetts is nice, my parents used to take me to Cape Cod every year and Boston is a really nice city, at least from what I've seen.

I grew up in upstate New York...3 hours to the Northeast of Albany. Being as close to Albany as you were...you did not have as crappy weather as I am accustomed to. Lake effect snow, anyone?

I was in LA in December at one time. While it was cool for shorts and sandals, I'm pretty stubborn. A homeless guy asked for money referring to the cold. I said, "I'm from upstate NY; I laugh at your cold."

Lake effect snow is pretty terrible. I went to college in Buffalo which had some crappy lake effect snow, probably not as bad as where you were though. I used to walk to class in t-shirts and shorts in the middle of winter. Whenever the people from warmer areas would be crying about how cold it was I would just laugh at them.

Apparently the average snowfall in my hometown is 64 inches per year.

• @Lathun @Karla
    Snow: USA vs Canada

0_1469630395339_upload-da278e3b-26ba-49c1-8165-83a578e1fe2e

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TimeBandit Let me guess, the top picture isn't from upstate NY…

• @TimeBandit said in Programming Confessions Thread:

USA: State of emergency

This was less than a mile from my house:

asdf

• @cartman82 said in Programming Confessions Thread:

@lordofduct Don't call me that. That name died in the cell block 32.

Sorry, I meant 'Monsieur Zappara, comte de Monte Cristo'.

• @AyGeePlus said in Programming Confessions Thread:

And anyway 'sometimes you're forced to use it' is the worst argument for anything. "I like Unity better than Monogame because sometimes I have to use Unity".

I don't think LoD was saying that Unity was good, just that they weren't given a choice about it (beyond firing up the resume tool and punching eject).

• FoxDev

@ScholRLEA said in Programming Confessions Thread:

punching eject).

0_1469632906464_eject_zpsda006190.gif

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Karla said in Programming Confessions Thread:

I grew up in upstate New York...3 hours to the Northeast of Albany.

Plattsburgh area, more or less? I drove through there several times when I lived in Potsdam.

• @FrostCat said in Programming Confessions Thread:

I grew up in upstate New York...3 hours to the Northeast of Albany.

Plattsburgh area, more or less? I drove through there several times when I lived in Potsdam.

I'm TR:wtf: Northwest not Northeast. Can I blame it on dyslexia? It is like left and right...I always have to think about it to get it correct.

Rochester.

• @Karla said in Programming Confessions Thread:

Rochester.

Oh, yeah you would get some nasty lake effect snow there.

I don't mind the snow when it comes to being outside in it (like walking, or shoveling - fuck shoveling snow though), but people drive like such idiots the second a snowflake descends from the sky that I've grown to dislike it a little bit.

• @NedFodder That picture will never get old.

• BINNED

@Karla
    wegmans? really ... that's litterally awaymen ...

• 🚽 Regular

Rochester.

Why is it wherever I go I find people who live or lived an hour from me?? lmao
    Considering I live in the middle of nowhere.

• Impossible Mission - B

I don't mind the snow when it comes to being outside in it (like walking, or shoveling - fuck shoveling snow though), but people drive like such idiots the second a snowflake descends from the sky that I've grown to dislike it a little bit.

You sure you're not from Seattle?

It's been called the 30/30 rule: the second a single snowflake hits the asphalt anywhere in the Puget Sound region, 30% of drivers instantly lose 30 points of IQ.

It's been called the 30/30 rule: the second a single snowflake hits the asphalt anywhere in the Puget Sound region, 30% of drivers instantly lose 30 points of IQ.

It honestly seems like everywhere that has snow has this problem. I think the problem is some people start driving super cautiously which causes other people to get pissed off and speed up so they aren't late and cause accidents. Sometimes it is just slippery (:giggity: ) and you can't help swerving out of control but I really feel like it is a people issue. I think some people are just shit drivers.

• Impossible Mission - B

@Lathun I haven't really noticed that here (Philadelphia area), but maybe that's just because drivers around here are horrible year-round.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@JBert said in Programming Confessions Thread:

Gah!

Thank you thank you thank you!

@Lathun I haven't really noticed that here (Philadelphia area), but maybe that's just because drivers around here are horrible year-round.

All the terrible drivers around here are from New Jersey 🚎

• Impossible Mission - B

Where's "here" for you? NJ? (That is, of course, the most probable place to find a lot of horrible drivers who are from NJ...)

Where's "here" for you? NJ? (That is, of course, the most probable place to find a lot of horrible drivers who are from NJ...)

Upstate New York

• Java Dev

First snow (or heavy rain) of the season always causes huge traffic problems. Rest of the season is usually much better.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@TimeBandit said in Programming Confessions Thread:

@Lathun @Karla
    Snow: USA vs Canada

0_1469630395339_upload-da278e3b-26ba-49c1-8165-83a578e1fe2e

As somebody from MN, I wouldn't consider the top one a state of emergency. I'd call it the roads have been plowed after it snowed. I'd much prefer snow compared the ice rain my brother now gets (he moved to central IL).

South of Maryland, in areas that aren't particularly mountainous at least, the drivers seem to completely lose their heads if there is even a rumor that it might snow that day. I've seen people in the Atlanta area ransack the grocery stores at the possibility of a snowfall that is expected to be so light that it wouldn't even get mentioned on the news in Connecticut or New York.

Then again, in Berkeley, CA, many people put on winter coats if the temperature drops below 65° F, but those same people complain about the heat when it goes above 75° F. Even in the coldest months - January, February, and August 😕 - it rarely dips below 50° F, and even then you can expect days with temperatures over 70° F. Anything over 80° F is considered a heat wave, regardless of what time of year it is.

sigh I miss being that spoiled.

• Fake News

@Tsaukpaetra said in Programming Confessions Thread:

@JBert said in Programming Confessions Thread:

Gah!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Ehr... You are welcome?
    Did you have a special TIL moment?

• @ScholRLEA said in Programming Confessions Thread:

@AyGeePlus said in Programming Confessions Thread:

And anyway 'sometimes you're forced to use it' is the worst argument for anything. "I like Unity better than Monogame because sometimes I have to use Unity".

I don't think LoD was saying that Unity was good, just that they weren't given a choice about it (beyond firing up the resume tool and punching eject).

Holy shit, someone actually read my posts and used reading comprehension to understand what I meant!

Thank you.