Discourse ctrl+f search, even more useless than normal search

• Seriously.

Web browsers have this Ctrl+F feature for the last 10 years. You type in word and you can search and jump instantly.

Ctrl+F withd iscourse and you get the search box and you get links.
    No instant jump.

Seriously?

I have to fucking click through links?

Jeff, IF I EVER SEE YOU AT ANY FUCKING CODE CONVENTION, EVENT OR ANYTHING, YOU ARE GETTING A SHOTGUN TO THE FACE.

• SockDev

Fun fact. Ctrl-F twice will fire up the browser finder, or Ctrl-F while in the editor.

Thing about the find business, you can't rely on Ctrl-F normally anyway because Discourse buggers about with the DOM to the point where points scrolled sufficiently far off screen get unloaded so Ctrl-F won't find them anyway...

• It's all right though, because DiscoSearch works very well and will easily find the things you need and definitely won't return anything unrelated or miss anything

It's all right though, because DiscoSearch won't return anything

FTFM

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Finding things is a barrier to civilized discussion.

It might be of interest to you that the Discourse-Team is "improving" the Search-Bar on top.

Filed Under Gotta love that screenshot Sam posted because as far as I can tell only 1 of the 5 Results actually features both search and narrow and that is the third one!

Filed Under: sigh Also it's clearly the browser searching wrong! The way Discourse handles content is flawless

• SockDev

@delfinom said:

Seriously.

Web browsers have this Ctrl+F feature for the last 10 years. You type in word and you can search and jump instantly.

Ctrl+F withd iscourse and you get the search box and you get links.
    No instant jump.

Seriously?

I have to fucking click through links?

Jeff, IF I EVER SEE YOU AT ANY FUCKING CODE CONVENTION, EVENT OR ANYTHING, YOU ARE GETTING A SHOTGUN TO THE FACE.

And that's why I like Firefox's 'Find as you type' feature 🙂

Also, Discourse doesn't override F3. Not yet anyway...

Can websites override F-keys?

• @RaceProUK said:

Can websites override F-keys?

Yes. So keep your voice down

• This old @cpradio post cracked me up:

Money quote (from February 2014, so before we got our hands on Discourse):

Keep in mind, we are all fairly technical and have learned how to eventually get to the topic we want by altering our search criteria until it finds what we were looking for. But I issue the following challenge .... are we doing it wrong?

• Yea, and I still agree 100% with what I said then, today. It still has the same issues, the excerpt definitely helps, but it really needs to be re-done.

• Definitely. Search really needs to be their number one priority.

• mod

And my issues from back in June are still not addressed.

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/discourse-search-requests/977?u=abarker

The strangest one is using the search terms "sacrific", "sacrifice" and "sacrificed" without constraining your search to the current topic.. Using "sacrific" or "sacrificed" will include I'm A Grumpy Cat: An open letter to Alex in the search results. Using "sacrifice" will not include that topic, even though it is the halfway point between the other two terms. How in Belgium do you even accomplish that?

Filed Under: I think they just made it prettier

• @abarker said:

And my issues from back in June are still not addressed.

Which I guess I rediscovered, with a different example, here.

Relevant excerpt from some posts above the linked one, to finish out your filed under:

@abarker said:

I think they just made it prettier

@ChaosTheEternal said:
    instead of, you know, making the search work better

Wait, cross topic quotes no longer have an arrow to go to the post in the linked topic?

• @abarker said:

Filed Under: I think they just made it prettier

It's a little more than that. The context is a nice addition (though still no substitute for a full page interface).

• SockDev

@VinDuv said:

Yes. <small>So keep your voice down</small>

no! don't even think about that! if some marketdroid gets a wind of that then we'll all be in deep [excrement, extremely vulgar]!

the correct answer is: No, you cannot override keys.

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

Wait, cross topic quotes no longer have an arrow to go to the post in the linked topic?

Yup, another "removed feature", which makes the site less usable.

• Was it too noisy for Jeff?

• They really need to find a way to keep posts loaded in the DOM so browser search works. But given the charlie-fox of software platforms in use, getting halfway-decent performance with everything loaded is probably impossible.

• @mott555 said:

But given the charlie-fox of software platforms in use, getting halfway-decent performance with everything loaded is probably impossible.

This is the key. Normal forums and websites don't have this kind of problem, because their plain text isn't surrounded by layers of unnecessary bullshit to deal with the same-code-different-results-client-server parsing of three different markup languages and an auto-loading-unloading delivery system.

• @hungrier said:

Normal forums and websites don't have this kind of problem, because their plain text isn't surrounded by layers of unnecessary bullshit to deal with the same-code-different-results-client-server parsing of three different markup languages and an auto-loading-unloading delivery system

Eh...they also break shit up into pages. And the user doesn't expect the browser search to navigate to other pages in its search.

• @boomzilla said:

Eh...they also break shit up into pages. And the user doesn't expect the browser search to navigate to other pages in its search.

Quite, and they generally provide (or, and usually better, delegate to google) a "full thread / full forum" search feature.

Discourse, on the other hand, pretends to load everything into one big page, and then fails to deliver the expected "if I search for 'text' on this page, I will have every instance of 'text' delivered to me". It clashes with the normal expectations of browser behaviour. Like almost everything else they've overridden.

• They may as well create their own browser at this point.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.