@#$% Freeloaders!

• I think I've ranted about the ad-blocking freeloaders here before, but some recent feedback I received inspired me enough to bring it up again. Here's a message some one just sent me that made me say "WTF" out loud ...

Subject: Hidden Network
    Message: Thanks for the heads up on your new blog-spamming [sic] service. I've just now submitted your adserver's URL to several shared filter lists.

Now I know that this attitude doesn't represent the majority or even a notable minority. But seriously, WTF?!?!

• There are certain people on the planet who simply don't understand that web servers cost money, and advertisements do not normally make anyone rich. At best, they cover the cost of your server and maybe compensate you (badly) for some of the time you spend working on it rather than doing your "real" job.

Personally, I would rather see an ad that really matters to me than nothing at all. Oddly enough, I do buy things here and there, and it's truly helpful to be told about things that I might otherwise not have known I could buy.

• I dont know about you guys, but the job ads on this board are better than other uninteresting, uninspiring and vague ads I've seen elsewhere. Ok, atleast not JoelOnSoftware.

Too bad I've not across any postings near my place. But I think we'll get there.

And Alex, I suppose the free loaders who provide such feedback will the ones who would appreciate the service, probably when the housing bubble bursts, and when they have to sucker up to WTF jobs.

• I can understand blocking big flashing banner images, but text based advertising is fine.

BTW some of your job ads (http://adserver.hiddennetwork.com/listing.aspx?Ad=Y&PubId=1001&JobId=1000034) don't include city/province/country.

• kuroshin, I'm glad to hear that. I've declined atleast 10% of the ads submitted thus far because they weren't good quality.

Albatross, thanks for the heads up about the missing locations -- that's an oversite on my part. The employer does have to enter a location by using drop downs and some have been writing this out in the job description. I'll just put the location they entered in the header below the job title.

• While I agree that telling you that he's getting your ads blocked is bad form, people're gonna block ads whether you like it or not. "You (as a noncommercial entity)'re not allowed to block the ads on my site" is in the same category as "you (likewise, as a noncommercial entity)'re not allowed to copy this CD" – By the time it's on your clients' computers, no matter how hard you try to stop them, people will do what they like with your product, and conspire amoungst one another to do so. Change what you can, accept what you cannot, I say.

• I don't click on ads anyway, so there's really no detriment to me blocking them. And as long as I don't see a donate button anywhere I really don't care if people dislike that I block ads. I wouldn't mind donating a few dollars every few months, but I'm going to continue blocking ads as long as I can.

Maybe you should give visitors more choices in how they support TheDailyWTF.

• I don't block ads, but the advertisements have offered nothing of value to me, and I'm not job-hunting right now.  Alex, you've put a lot of effort into this site and deserve to have some help; the option to donate would be a good idea.  There are who do refuse to request donations, but there's no reason to feel bad about doing so.

• [quote user="HeroreV"]

I don't click on ads anyway, so there's really no detriment to me blocking them. And as long as I don't see a donate button anywhere I really don't care if people dislike that I block ads. I wouldn't mind donating a few dollars every few months, but I'm going to continue blocking ads as long as I can.

Maybe you should give visitors more choices in how they support TheDailyWTF.

[/quote]

Alternately, there's the slashdot model: 'subscribers' get a certain number of ad-free page views for $5.

• Just to chime in with the rest of your loyal followers.  I would have to say that the adds you include on TDWTF are among the best presented that I've seen on the web.

• No annoying sounds
    • No flash animations
    • No big pictures or banners
    • No stupid products
    • No monkeys
    • Cute Chicks grin

They are non-intrusive and I certainly have no problem with them appearing.

• I am not looking for a job (heck, I'm 16 and the ads being shown to me are at best several thousand km from me), so is billing others for showing me ads that I will never follow 100% justified?

While blocking ads is a descision that's up to the user (note that if an ad is blocked, it should not cost the advertiser), it's a bit rude to tell the site owner so, and espescially rude to gloat to sthem that you've just listed your ads to be blocked by millions of users, some of whom may potentially benefit from your ads. Remeber, the point in ads is (or at least should be) to let the viewer benefit by being made aware of some service or product that they wouldn't have known of otherwise.

That said, I find the "Freeloaders" mentality somehow objectionable. I run my server and let other people use my services because it's interesting to code them and I get great satisfaction if I know that there are actually people out there that find something that I've done useful.

• [quote user="SpComb"]I am not looking for a job (heck, I'm 16 and the ads being shown to me are at best several thousand km from me), so is billing others for showing me ads that I will never follow 100% justified?[/quote]

Better call the television station and let 'em know they're wasting their advertiser's money by running tampon ads while you're watching too. 

[quote user="SpComb"]That said, I find the "Freeloaders"
    mentality somehow objectionable. I run my server and let other people
    use my services because it's interesting to code them and I get great
    satisfaction if I know that there are actually people out there that
    find something that I've done useful.
    [/quote]

That model gets a bit pricey when you're serving tens of thousands of views a day.

• Not much you can do about people blocking ads unfortunately, especially if its your ads being shown on a 3rd party site. If its your site and your ads then you can make the ads text only and inline them in the pages, stops them being blocked but not exactly practical for 99.99% of web sites.

My site  (http://zints.co.uk/) uses inline text only amazon ads but it wasn't designed that way to avoid blocking, the idea was to avoid the use of javascript in general and keep overall page sizes down. Ofcourse the ads don't pay for the site, and the whole thing is really just a huge sandbox for experimenting with various ideas in HTML, CSS, SQL, etc. Although its quite useable, its distinctly unpolished.

• One little comment about the ads in the "Non-WTF Jobs" sidebar: What's the reason for them not being real hyperlinks, but some Javascript-Thingy? In Firefox, I can normaly open a link in a new tab by pressing the mouse wheel. In this case it doesn't work.

• I was wondering the same thing as AmmoQ.

• I use the adblock FF extension because it improves the surfer's browsing experience but from day 1 I was unable to view the Job ads so I white-listed the site and they're showing up now. Together with the cute analyst/programmer/foosball girl 😃

Unfortunately so far only one add so far is showing that's less than 1000 Miles away...:(

And I haven't seen them appearing on your own blog yet... ...or is that my add filter playing up again? 😉

• @ammoQ said:

One little comment about the ads in the "Non-WTF Jobs" sidebar: What's the reason for them not being real hyperlinks, but some Javascript-Thingy? In Firefox, I can normaly open a link in a new tab by pressing the mouse wheel. In this case it doesn't work.

Javascript is superior to HTML. Duh. In the not so distant future, HTML will be completely replaced by Javascript, AJAX, Flash and miscellaneous other truely amazing proprietary hi-tech web technology, such as WMA, WMP and QT. Combined with DRM, this allows content creators to construct amazing do-nothing-links using nothing but Javascript and a specially crafted__doPostBack function, all contained in a DRM-protected WMJ-file (Window Media Javascript) to prevent unauthorized stealing of your valuable intellectual property.

• [quote user="ammoQ"]One little comment about the ads in the "Non-WTF Jobs" sidebar: What's the reason for them not being real hyperlinks, but some Javascript-Thingy? In Firefox, I can normaly open a link in a new tab by pressing the mouse wheel. In this case it doesn't work.
    [/quote]

This is on the task list to fix ....  

• [quote user="grassfire"]

Just to chime in with the rest of your loyal followers.  I would have to say that the adds you include on TDWTF are among the best presented that I've seen on the web.

• No annoying sounds
    • No flash animations
    • No big pictures or banners
    • No stupid products
    • No monkeys
    • Cute Chicks grin

They are non-intrusive and I certainly have no problem with them appearing.

[/quote]

Some of us would also like to see some cute guys!  Although maybe it's hard to find cute guy coders...

• I must agree that a few cute guys would be a nice touch every now and then.

Also, I don't care if people block ads on my sites, but for heaven sake's I don't want to be told about it. It's just not necessary and usually does nothing but really annoy the site owner.  

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.