Steam WTF with dedicated servers

• My Unturned server went down. It's fairly popular in my circles so that's definitely not A Good Thing™.

The game is only available via Steam, and the dedicated server even requires Steam. Apparently, Steam auto-closed for auto-updates and took the game down with it.

Filed Under: Yay a non-Discourse WTF

• Doesn't it only need 51% uptime to be considered a server?

• FoxDev

More of a game WTF than a Steam WTF. Steam going down shouldn't take games with it, assuming those games have been written properly.

Then again, auto-quitting for updates without checking if games are running is a WTF all by itself...

• @mott555 said:

My Unturned server went down. It's fairly popular in my circles so that's definitely not A Good Thing™.

The game is only available via Steam, and the dedicated server even requires Steam. Apparently, Steam auto-closed for auto-updates and took the game down with it.

Filed Under: Yay a non-Discourse WTF

I highly recommend using Steam's standalone installer for dedicated servers instead of Steam itself for installing dedicated servers.

...although I don't see Unturned under the officially supported games list for it. Could be that someone didn't add it yet, though.

• @powerlord said:

I highly recommend using Steam's standalone installer for dedicated servers instead of Steam itself for installing dedicated servers.

I'm not sure if Unturned works with that but I will check it out.

Unturned is a strange case. The dedicated server is the same executable as the client but with a flag passed in via command line. The main menu and everything even pops up for a minute before it realizes it's supposed to be a server. Doesn't run without Steam either, I had to register a second Steam account specifically to host this on my dedicated server. Good thing the game is free.

The game has one developer who's doing it for free, and I think he's some kid in Eastern Europe or something.

• @mott555 said:

I'm not sure if Unturned works with that but I will check it out.

Unturned is a strange case. The dedicated server is the same executable as the client but with a flag passed in via command line. The main menu and everything even pops up for a minute before it realizes it's supposed to be a server.

The game has one developer who's doing it for free, and I think he's some kid in Eastern Europe or something.

Well... that may not work, then.

I know Valve games can also launch servers from their client executables, but it's not recommended.

• Even better if you want to have a linux dedicated server, you have to have WINE AND X11.

FOR A HEADLESS CLIENT

Though, to be fair, I didn't know it was a one man team.

• I've been meaning to migrate it to a dedicated Linux VM but haven't yet, somehow the WINE guides for running Windows dedicated servers NEVER EVER work for me. Would also mean a world wipe and I don't know if my players would like that.

• Apparently the server is broken now anyway.