Thanks for the Discourse V1 brownies!

• Banned

Hey, look what showed up at Discourse World Headquarters (aka my house) today!

(We are a distributed team, with members in France, Australia, Canada, India..)

What a nice gesture. Thanks everyone! 😃

I know the relationship has been ... rocky ... and we don't always agree on everything.

But I hope you can see through our relentless improvements to Discourse that we really do care about building a great open source online discussion tool, available completely for free to every community in the world.

• Awwww how nice! Thanks! ❤

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Congratulations!

• Hope you choke.

• BINNED

@tufty said:

Hope you choke.

Maybe the sender sprinkled them with some extra home made sauce ...

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@tufty said:

Hope you choke.

@Luhmann said:

Maybe the sender sprinkled them with some extra home made sauce ...

Come on guys. This kind of hate-message is kinda uncalled for now. In this topic all he did was politely say thank you. (And without any sarcasm)

So congratulations from me, too.

Though a lot of people here are still not completely satisfied with the whole Discourse Experience. And we DO still find a lot of inconsistencies / bugs. So do your best to further improve it. Maybe v2 will be accepted by this community 😃

Filed Under: Also, to whoever sent those cookies: good job :D

• BINNED

@Kuro said:

This kind of hate-message is kinda uncalled for now. In this topic all he did was politely say thank you. (And without any sarcasm)

Huh? I have no hate. Just love ...

• @Kuro said:

Though a lot of people here are still not completely satisfied with the whole Discourse Experience. And we DO still find a lot of inconsistencies / bugs. So do your best to further improve it. Maybe v2 will be accepted by this community

We find bugs, and bugs are acceptable, even in v1.0 software. I've said that before, and I'll happily say it again. No software is ever created perfect.

However, the handling of those bugs has pointed out massive shortcomings in the way TCoCDCK carry out development. The fact that they are "dogfooding" Discourse as a "bug tracker" (and yes, the latter quotes are ironic), they show how utterly WTF their development methodology is. the run up to v1.0 has also showed this - rather than locking down feature development and targetting the hundreds of known bugs, they spent time fucking about with "questionable" UX experiments.

Beyond the actual bugs, minor and major, we've also found are a significant number of issues caused by totally fucked design. Issues that Jeff will never acknowledge as being issues, because "Doing it Wrong™". The reasons why those issues are actually issues, why they make Discourse worse than the "toxic hellstew" Jeff purports to be trying to best, and the underlying causes of those issues, have been discussed here ad nauseum.

So, assuming Jeff continues as head of the project, when you say
    @Kuro said:

Maybe v2 will be accepted by this community

… I have to say that I sincerely hope not. It would be a black mark on this community to do so. Discourse, and the hipster cockend woolly design thinking it represents, deserve to die a fiery death.

• @tufty said:

Hope you choke.

Calm down a little? I don't think even Blakey would say stuff like that, and if he did, it would be presented in an obviously-for-dramatic-effect manner, such as all-caps.

Sure, we like to find and exploit bugs in Discourse, then joke about it and troll Jeff. We also like to insult each other and be pedantic. But it's all fun and games really. It doesn't warrant actual death threats.

Or maybe my sarcasm detector needs fixing?

• @LoremIpsum said:

Or maybe my sarcasm detector needs fixing?

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Who can tell?

If it helps with your calibration, I'd happily say it to him, face to face.

• Anyway! I'm really glad someone took the time to do this. I wonder if it was @apapadimoulis or an actual forum regular?

Maybe there's still a chance of getting us onto the Special Thanks list.

• Alex has stated that Jeff is a personal friend, I would buttume he'd have signed it personally. So it's probably some other twat from here.

• The Dancing Deer baking company allows online ordering, and given that the message was printed on their branded paper, I'll assume it was typed up as a 'special message to recipient'. Therefore, Alex wouldn't be able to sign it personally unless he used ASCII-art.

• I'll try again. Obviously it was ordered online, but I was buttuming that, as a friend, he would have used something more like "Congratulations on V1, keep up the good work mate, Alex Papadimoulis"

Indeed, given the way the message is laid out, I'd guess "The Daily WTF Forums" is the name they've used to sign up with the company.

• BINNED

@LoremIpsum said:

unless he used ASCII-art.

That would have been a nice touch.

Now he would have more likely signed with 'Alex' then 'The DWTF Forum'.

• Right, of course he would. But think about it a little more... Alex could have signed it 'from TDWTF forums' to make it look like it came from us, and therefore repair our damaged relationship with Jeff.

Let's get a lawyer on the case to analyze this for us.

• Congratulations, master!

• BINNED

@Discourse said:

Congratulationssssssssss, masssssssssssster! My Prescioussssssssssss!

FTFT

• I want to use the occasion to point out that 80% of the Discourse annoyances come from just two things:

1. Quotes don't work
    2. The parser is incredibly buggy and inconsistent

So if you addressed these things instead of ignoring them, we'd probably get along even better.

• ♿ (Parody)

'twasn't me!

That said, although I wasn't directly involved, and this is the first time I've seen this, I feel I am somewhat part of "The Daily WTF Forums" and thus, speaking as a lawyer, can take partial credit! But not enough to assume any liability obviously.

• @LoremIpsum said:

I don't think even Blakey would say stuff like that

@blakeyrat said:

Fuck off and die. And you know what? I mean that seriously. Genuinely.

just sayin

• Nice find. Can't believe I actually clicked to like Jeff's response to that.

• BINNED

@tufty said:

… I have to say that I sincerely hope not. It would be a black mark on this community to do so. Discourse, and the hipster cockend woolly design thinking it represents, deserve to die a fiery death.

I still don't like inifinte scrolling, and my experiment with changing my avatar seems to have failed miserably (the avatar I tried yesterday is still showing up in posts even though I changed it back yesterday), but I don't think things are all that bad. We still manage to post here, and things basically work (except changing avatars, apparently).

@anonymous234 said:

The parser is incredibly buggy and inconsistent

This would probably be pretty easy to fix if they chose one and only one of:

• Markdown
    • BBCODE
    • HTML

@antiquarian said:

This would probably be pretty easy to fix if they chose one and only one of:

Markdown
    BBCODE
    HTML

Don't look now, it's HtCodeDown!

• My assumption is that Jeff sent it to himself, signed from us to get a rise, and I hope he did because it would be a better troll than any done so far.

• Not to forget, he is a member of WTDWTF, so he is sort of kind of part of us according to certain definitions.

• That was actually my thought too but I would have assumed Jeff's ego wouldn't have permitted him not to sign it from himself.

• Technically, it's not signed from himself.

• You know what I mean :P (insufficient pedantry to earn a flag, mind)

I just can't believe Jeff would send brownies - and somehow not put his name on it in the process, given how rampant his self-promotion is the rest of the time.

• @anonymous234 said:

I want to use the occasion to point out that 80% of the Discourse annoyances come from just two things:

1. Quotes don't work
    2. The parser is incredibly buggy and inconsistent

So if you addressed these things instead of ignoring them, we'd probably get along even better.

You forgot:

3. The UI is a shitty, mystical kludge.
     4. Getting a bug fixed is an exercise in manipulation. First you have to convince CDCK that it is undesirable behavior, and then you have to convince them that it is important enough to fix.
     5. Getting an ill-conceived feature removed is an exercise in futility. You might as well give up before you start.
     6. Changing avatars is spotty. It rarely works seamlessly. Based on my testing, this seems to stem from Dicsourse having issues handling PNGs in general.
     7. Posts streamed in might not be displayed as a post that was loaded as part of the initial DOM load.

etc. ...

• Discoursistency?

• Getting an irrelevant feature implemented seems easy enough. Don't know what your problem is.

Closed, wontfix.

Amusingly, phone suggests auto correct wontfix as wrongfully.

• @Arantor said:

somehow not put his name on it in the process

Or a link to his blog.

• @Matches said:

Getting an irrelevant feature implemented seems easy enough. Don't know what your problem is.

Closed, wontfix.

Sorry. Corrected my wording for the sake of clarity.

• @Matches said:

http://youtu.be/kyBtRc_LVSg?t=29m55s

A bit of lead-in so you get the context (he gets drunk & texts his girl...) About 4 minutes in, he tells you how his phone lied for him. ;-)

“This video is not available in your country.”

Ho ho ho ho ho! Very funny!

• I really hate that "feature".

• :belt_onion:

@anonymous234 said:

I want to use the occasion to point out that 80% of the Discourse annoyances come from just two things:

Quotes don't work
    The parser is incredibly buggy and inconsistent

Oh and the email security leak.
    And the 500 server errors on every other race condition button press.
    And the part where if you post from the right position, you can no longer scroll the page down to load new posts anymore without having to first scroll back up a few posts first.
    And the infinite scrolling altogether.
    And the 30 minute avatar broken-link dance.
    And the part where streamed posts randomly never show up and you can't tell until you see someone reply to a post that never happened for you.
    And I'm tired of fucking typing.

Oh, remembered some more...
    And whenever someone likes a post, it causes all "reply-to" or "replied-to" that you've expanded to read to close automagically.
    And whenever someone likes a post, your current view shifts up because the space for displaying likes wasn't reserved beforehand.
    And the "heatmaps."
    And "coldmaps."
    And right click + open in new tab/window (or middle clicking) being broken on some random links but not others.
    And the off-by-one errors where streamed posts occasionally end up locked at the bottom of your screen until you F5 refresh it.
    And the inability to F5 and end up in the same place you were at on the topic unless you were luckily at the very end or the very top.
    And the links from google to inside the topic taking you to the top of the page instead of the actual post - of course, that's how it works on most forums, except on most forums there are pages for google to link to, and the full fucking page content loads on each page so you can CTRL+F to find what you were searching for. But not on Dicsourse!
    And profile spoofing via @ ЅехуPJH

And hell, how could I forget, the bug that caused all our posted content to flat out vanish for 6 hours one night until the forums were rebaked, which no dev seemed to know why or how it happened or what to fix to prevent it from happening again.

And trying to start lists with numbers other than 1. Like if you happen to try to quote the 3rd item from a list someone else posted.
    And trying to just type a fucking number without it being coerced into a list.
    And diacritics, which still fuck up and bleed on chrome:
    And lightbox which won't load on your post until you F5 (thanks to the above line item for reminding me).

• and that fucking blue line which moves all the content down just as you're about to click
    and the fact they've fucked up 99% of expected browser behaviour
    and discosearch
    and non-rate-limited key spamming
    and so on
    and so forth

When Discourse was implemented here, it was "almost ready for v1 release". In 3 months, we've discovered, on average, over 2 bugs a day. Just when you think you've unearthed the last possible bug, another one bites you in the ass.

So yeah, Jeff can choke on his fucking brownies as his company goes deservedly broke.

@darkmatter said:

And hell, how could I forget, the bug that caused all our posted content to flat out vanish for 6 hours one night until the forums were rebaked, which no dev seemed to know why or how it happened or what to fix to prevent it from happening again.

Huh, missed that one. Must've been sleeping or working or something…

• I haven't tried it yet, but there's this HOLA! thing (app? Plugin? In not sure) that makes bypassing geographic limitations fairly easy. It's essentially a one click proxy.

• Let's not leave out the inconsistency of showing the blue bar when the main topic list should update from new posts, but immediately adding new or updated topics to the suggested topics list as they stream in.

@darkmatter said:

.. and blamed my badges for it...

Poor @PJH. Here have a 🍪 for your efforts. I personally like your badges. And I am pretty sure if you made a badge that breaks Discourse, we'd be happy to use it 😃

Filed Under: Just don't break the frontpage with a badge!

• And poisoned profiles

• I wanted to make a central topic to keep track of the Discourse bugs and major annoyances we find, because having them scattered all over the forum is bad in more than one way. But, sadly, I'm too lazy.

Maybe if some mod can and wants they can make it as a wiki-topic so we can keep it updated?

• Surely we don't need that, as they've all been raised as bugs on the CoCDCK bug tracking system?

Oh. Yes.

Careful, you are treading thin ice. People here will come out and tell you that using Discourse for that is terrible. You should use a bugtracker (for an application that is not yours) and all that.

That being said: I'd second that. Just the bugs TDWTF found. Maybe even with timestamp and all that. Sounds like a lot of work but an interesting overview of how much we contributed 😃

Just start a topic like that on meta and surely some mod would make it a wiki later on.

Filed Under: Wikify the post sounded wrong

• There's posts under Meta/bugs for pretty much every bug we've found, I think. Some roll up more than one bug. The only ones that aren't in Meta/bugs date from the very early days before Jeff started splitting bug reports into that category, or, like the email disclosure thing, couldn't safely be left in the open.

There's well in excess of 200 bugs reported there.

yeah, but that list doesn't state if it was fixed, etc. A single list could reflect that better (not that I said that in the previous statement).

Also: going through Discourse Categories is hard 😃

Filed Under: SO HARD!