3 Reasons Windows 8.1 is better

• 3 Reasons Windows 8.1 is better – 01:01
    — Windows

TL;DW:

1. You power on and the familiar desktop comes up. Automagically!
    2. You can pin tiles to the Start screen or your taskbar
    3. You can switch between apps without opening and closing, opening and closing !!!1!!1!

• SockDev

So 8.1 gets to where Windows 7 was 5 years ago, or where Windows 8 + ClassicShell was previously. Awesome. Go Microsoft.

• You can almost taste the desperation.
    "Don't leave us! We'll be good! We'll give you back the old crap you like!"...

The same thing as with XBone. MS wants to do some radical anti-consumer shift that could improve their business, but then as soon as people start complaining, they lose the nerve and back off. It's like they want to be evil like Apple, but don't have the balls. Pathetic.

• @Arantor said:

where Windows 8 + ClassicShell was previously.

It's still not really there though - which is why I'm using 8.1 + ClassicShell.

• SockDev

MS have been trying to copy Apple for a while, except they haven't figured out what Apple actually does, and so it's a bad knock-off that nobody wants.

The App store is a great example. First time I went to use Microsoft's app store on a Windows 8 laptop, because my mother wanted Skype on her laptop, some bizarre fucking error came out of nowhere and it's never ever worked since - I don't mean Skype, I mean the app store itself, it just reports an 8 digit error code that a bunch of people get and no-one has an answer... and this was a brand new laptop.

The Apple app store on the other hand... just works. You get your OS and app updates through it (if that's where you got them from in the first place), and it doesn't nag you to death about updating. All in all, I find that part of OS X much more pleasant to use than Windows (7 or 8). MS don't get it.

• SockDev

@loopback0 said:

It's still not really there though - which is why I'm using 8.1 + ClassicShell.

Figures.

• The last time I upgraded (about 2 or 3 months ago?), grub ate my Windows 8.1 entry. I haven't been able to summon the motivation to fix it. It's just too depressing every time I log in.

• BINNED

It was not a bug then. GRUB was protecting you!

It knows.

• Honestly, I often wonder why I even keep it at all. All I ever do is log a few times a year to run updates. But hey, it came with the machine, and maybe someday I'll have a reason I need Windows.

• Windows 8.1 is just a poor attempt at trying to escape the every other Windows curse. YOU CANNOT TRICK THE CURSE MICROSOFT.

• @delfinom said:

Windows 8.1 is just a poor attempt at trying to escape the every other Windows curse. YOU CANNOT TRICK THE CURSE MICROSOFT.

- "It's every second version, you see, when you start from 3.11, then..." - "No, because then Windows 2000 would be..." - "So it was every 2nd year under Gates, but then Balmer shifted the cosmic energies..." - "My astrologer says it all started when Synofsky ran over a black cat on the night of the blood moon..."

ENOUGH WITH THE CURSE ALREADY

There's no curse.

Ideas change. Business strategies change. People in charge change. Paradigms change.
    Every version they try to do the best they can. Sometimes they do better, other times worse. Their success rate so far is about 50%. That's all there is to it.

• @cartman82 said:

- "It's every second version, you see, when you start from 3.11, then..."

I’ve seen many posts (mostly on Slashdot, of course) claiming that “Every other version of Windows is crap” followed by a random list of Windows versions (mixing NT and non-NT). I don’t think I’ve seen two posts mentioning the same versions.

• Everybody is waiting for "the good version" that will come after Windows 8.x, but what people fail to realize is that 8 sucks balls for a completely new reason: it's the first version of Windows since the Everything Is A Phone brain worms, a condition for which there are vaccines but still no cure, infested this industry.

Windows is ended. 7 is as good as it got.

• Yeah, but now they can hype it and sell it to you even though it was a feature you already had. That's pretty good marketing imo. MAKE THEM REALIZE WHAT THEY HAD! THEN SELL IT TO THEM AGAIN!

• Windows 9 looks promising.

+They removed Charms bar which was useless
    +Virtual desktops just like Linux

UI designer explains why Metro is so bloody retarded. I.e. it was made for the lowest common denominator of user.

• @Matches said:

MAKE THEM REALIZE WHAT THEY HAD! THEN SELL IT TO THEM AGAIN!

The dilemma I have with this sort of thing is that I can't decide if it's worse that they did this deliberately or really thought they were doing good work.

• @delfinom said:

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+Designer+Metro+is+the+Antithesis+of+a+Power+User/article34354.htm
    UI designer explains why Metro is so bloody retarded. I.e. it was made for the lowest common denominator of user.

I like the idea that the desktop interface (in some unspecified future) would have more power-user oriented features, leaving Metro for the dum-dums that kept those features out of the mainstream. However, especially given the product they actually made, it reads like a political campaign promising something decades in advance.

• BINNED

@hungrier said:

promising something decades in advance.

*holds breath*

• @Onyx said:

@hungrier said:
    promising something decades in advance.

*holds breath*

*writes check*

• While I like the idea of virtual desktops, I'd rather much have the ability to drag around taskbar buttons at will. Grouping same-application buttons is nonsense.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.