Find and Replace, by way of Ctrl+F, Ctrl+V

• So I'm using Microsoft OneNote for some collaboration at work, and decide that I need to do a find and replace across the steadily bloating document. Press Ctrl+H. Exactly nothing happens. Try Ctrl+F, and a pissant tiny text box appears in the top right. A bit of googling around reveals that Microsoft's new approach to Fnd and Replace is:

Finding and replacing text can be helpful when editing your notes. For example, if the name of a project changed, you can easily go in and replace all instances of the project name with the new one. In OneNote, you can use instant search to find specific text, and then replace it with different text using a keyboard shortcut.
    1. On a blank page, type the replacement text that you want to use. For example, if you’re trying to update a project name in your notes, type the new project name.
    2. Select the text you just typed, and then press Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard.
    3. Press Ctrl+E to expand the search box in the top right corner of the OneNote window.
    4. In the search box, type the text you want to find.
    5. At the bottom of the results list, click Pin Search Results, or press Ctrl+O.
    6. In the Search Results pane on the right side of your window, click the first search result (blue link next to a white page icon) to jump to the page where OneNote highlighted the text it has found.
    7. On the page, double-click each highlighted occurrence of the text, and then press Ctrl+V to paste your replacement text over it.
    8. Repeat steps 6-7 for each additional page in the search results list.

Fuck this. I had something more to say on the topic, but it's gone now, replaced only with fury cooling into disappointment.

• @trithne said:

Repeat steps 6-7 for each additional page in the search results list.

Dear God! (...or whatever $DEITY you prefer) Getting to step 7 was painful enough...

• @trithne said:

you can easily go in and replace all instances of the project name with the new one

where by "easily" we mean "slowly, clumsily and painfully" because we'd rather remove the wheels altogether than reinvent them.

This behavior is by design.

• What really got me was the discoverability. Even pressing Ctrl+F, the universal chord for 'Find', the box that appears is so bloody small that I honestly thought that it was also doing nothing.

Dialog box, two text fields, 'Replace', 'Replace All', and "Cancel' buttons. It's worked fine everywhere else, but it's 2014, time to throw out all the established methods!

@flabdablet said:

[A page extolling the greatness of flat design and hiding ALL THE FUCKING OPTIONS]

Fuck me.

• Does this addon help?

I am little shocked that Onenote does not Find Replace. On the other hand, it can do simple calculations in tables, which I love.

• I'll give it a try later, but this leads me to another WTF: Citrix.

I have to run OneNote through Citrix. Which means that I don't have any sort of administrator access to the computer that OneNote is actually being run on, so it's great when I load Outlook, it screeches about missing some addon or another it wants, and then asks me to install it, only for the installation to fail.

• Developer: "The replace function isn't functional yet for some reason."

Some exec: "Don't worry, we'll just write a long list of instructions and maybe people won't notice it isn't there."

• BINNED

@trithne said:

In OneNote, you can use instant search to find specific text, and then replace it with different text using a keyboard shortcut.

How the fuck does that match the instructions?

Go home Microsoft, you lost it.

• @flabdablet said:

where by "easily" we mean "slowly, clumsily and painfully" because we'd rather remove the wheels altogether than reinvent them.

This behavior is by design.

@trithne said:

What really got me was the discoverability. Even pressing Ctrl+F, the universal chord for 'Find', the box that appears is so bloody small that I honestly thought that it was also doing nothing.

Dialog box, two text fields, 'Replace', 'Replace All', and "Cancel' buttons. It's worked fine everywhere else, but it's 2014, time to throw out all the established methods!

Lol, I read these and I instantly thought it was Jeff who made OneNote...

• Holy shit, this thing really work this way? In 2014?

• Chill out. It's not like it's open source or anything.

• BINNED

• What the ... I don't even ....

This is a WTF I had to double check because I simply did not believe it. But fuck me, it's really true. My god Microsoft - Here's an idea for you - why not, erm, remove keyboard input from Visual Studio? And create a pointy-clicky interface instead for entering syntax instead? Keyboards are so fucking last decade.

• @flabdablet said:

Also, ugh ugh ugh ugh ewwwwww no no no make it stop

Scrolling up and down is obviously doing it wrong but I think left to right isn't taking the paradigm shift far enough. I'd personally like to see X- and Y-axis scrolling phased out in favour of using the Z-axis.

• BINNED

You know what I just realized? It's easier to explain :%s/search/replacement/g than this.

Fucking vim is more intuitive!

• @Onyx said:

Fucking vim is more intuitive!

+�

Filed Under: threads with low post counts are a barrier to unicode-entity-likes

• mod

@RTapeLoadingError said:

Scrolling up and down is obviously doing it wrong but I think left to right isn't taking the paradigm shift far enough. I'd personally like to see X- and Y-axis scrolling phased out in favour of using the Z-axis.

You mean zooming?

• @abarker said:

You mean zooming?

I buttume he means stacking elements on top of each other with z-index and navigating through that.

• @hungrier said:

I buttume he means stacking elements on top of each other with z-index and navigating through that.

Reading like a ghost, floating through the walls of content.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.