Switching from iPhone to Android? Don't count on getting texts for a while...

• This article describes the pain users are experiencing when they switch from using an iPhone to an Android. Apparently, in a nutshell, if you switch away from iPhone to another platform, other iPhone users won't be able to text you any more until you jump through some hoops to get off the iCloud/iMessage service that Apple still thinks you're a part of. Until you do so, other iPhone users texting you will have those texts disappear in the iCloud black hole somewhere...

• Keeping iHoles from contacting me doesn't sound that bad.

CLOSED WONTFIX NOTABUG ITSAFEATURE 

• Using an Apple product.

Oh wait, this isn't the bad ideas thread.

• Had to adblock the giant apple and android image covering the article.

Well played.

• Hoops? You just turn your old iPhone off so it can't receive the message. Or at least that's how I fixed it early last year when I switched.

• I wonder if this is an issue for Android users who send SMS through Hangouts and then switch to an iPhone or :shudder: a Windows phone.

• I love how one the commenters thinks that every messaging protocol, like for example iMessage, that uses TCP/IP, can not be propietary.

• iPhones are such a technical debacle it's embarrassing. I know, let's tack a later of proprietary bullshit on top of the SMS protocol built specifically so that this would not be a problem! Let's fuck up the vcf formatting! (to be fair, everyone fucks up vcf though)

Then you get all these kids praising Jobs like he's some sort of Technological Jesus, while they go and establish their startup to go and fuck up established standards even more.

• @abarker said:

I wonder if this is an issue for Android users who send SMS through Hangouts and then switch to an iPhone or :shudder: a Windows phone.

No, because you can get Hangouts for both iOS and WP. Only the Apple shit is Apple-only.

• @SirTwist said:

No, because you can get Hangouts for both iOS and WP. Only the Apple shit is Apple-only.

I know. It was a somewhat sarcastic remark made to point out the idiocy of claiming that iMessage can't be proprietary because it uses TCP/IP. Guess I could have made that clearer.

• @trithne said:

iPhones are such a technical debacle it's embarrassing. I know, let's tack a later of proprietary bullshit on top of the SMS protocol built specifically so that this would not be a problem! Let's fuck up the vcf formatting! (to be fair, everyone fucks up vcf though)

Then you get all these kids praising Jobs like he's some sort of Technological Jesus, while they go and establish their startup to go and fuck up established standards even more.

I bet iPhone users think the book of Job is about Steve Jobs.

• @redwizard said:

those texts disappear in the iButt black hole somewhere...

You should tag your post NSFW.

Filed under: The best Chrome extension.

• @redwizard said:

have those texts disappear in the iCloud black hole somewhere...

@oesor said:
    @redwizard said:
    those texts disappear in the iButt black hole somewhere...

You should tag your post NSFW.

Well, that was debatable until you kindly fixed my post for me...now there's no doubt. 😛

• Your iPhone link looks okay. Your Windows Phone link is to some garbage by a profligate app spammer that describes what Hangouts does, but doesn't actually provide access to anything. Google only offers their Google Now app on WP, has blocked Microsoft's YouTube app, and has blocked access to Google Talk from several unofficial WP apps, so there ain't no WP solution there yet.

• The app does exactly what it says on the tin:

This app provides features of Google Hangouts.

Followed by 8 screenshots of lists of the features of Google+ Hangouts.

• :belt_onion:

@trithne said:

Jobs

While the nannystate hellpit OS and design was Jobs' fault in the beginning, it's hard to pin current flaws on him now that he's been dead for a full release cycle.
    Unless you think he's haunting their design team, programmers, or executive team. In which case, I feel for the guy that decided they will make a different form factor than 3.5" in the future.

• I don't blame Jobs for most of the Apple design stuff, actually. He seemed to focus primarily on the marketing/UI side of things after he came back to the company. I'm more annoyed by the messianic position he's been elevated to for that marketing success.

The continued trends in Apple design is probably just Cargo Cult design based on poorly understood Jobisms.

• @trithne said:

The continued trends in Apple design is probably just Cargo Cult design based on poorly understood Jobisms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z65s0fqDw4