Discourse memory usage

• I noticed Discourse was acting particularly WTFy, freezing for a few seconds whenever I did anything, so I took a look at Chrome's task manager:

:open_mouth:

PS: When I used the amazing, always-perfectly-working Discourse search to see if this topic had come up before, it froze for a good 10 seconds before letting me enter my search query, and another 10 seconds between each character appearing in the textbox.

PPS: As of right now, it's at 795,644K.

• Using all of your memory is a barrier to reading.

• I've seen slowdowns like that, but I haven't correlated them to RAM. At the height of like spamming, my DC tab was using ~1.6G but seemed fine.

• Something got fucked up on your end. Have 6 discourse tabs open, all using 40-80mb.

• Mine starts wtih 80MB when I first open it up. I just did that and came back here, and I'm up to ~130MB.

• @boomzilla said:

I've seen slowdowns like that, but I haven't correlated them to RAM. At the height of like spamming, my DC tab was using ~1.6G but seemed fine.

Strangely enough, after posting this topic the performance has gone back to normal. But the memory usage is still climbing, seemingly whenever I do anything at all, including not typing anything and letting the compose box auto-save my post.

• This was on a 24G machine, so even 1.6G wasn't a terribly large chunk of memory. Most of which appeared to be caching stuff at the time.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.