Welcome to the world of computers - minecraft server edition

• Helping a newbie (not NooB, newbie) install minecraft server...

Two things, a What-the-heck? and then a minor WTF

K, a wiki that tells you what to do... install java from this URL, this edition, test it, etc.. details for Windows, OSX, Linux, others, nice... double click on minecraft_server.exe ...

WTH! where's that? All that detailed instruction, NOTHING on go HERE to download the software your trying to intsall. Sigh, "Yes, this is the world of computers." Not a big deal, google it..., download it...OK.. ready!

Double-click, and... what happened!?... did something flash on the screen?? Maybe. Try again. Same thing. Huh?

Letsee, cmd, dir, ... besides the .exe, there's a folder named logs, look in there, some archived files (ok, yes, we did the try again thing a FEW times, sue me) and a "latest.txt" file - open that. Ooooh, some java runtime errors. The last one has a message telling me to look at the eula.

Oh, look, here, EULA.txt (which magically appeared from running the .exe):

// to accept the our EULA, (see here), change false to true in the line below
    EULA := false

I've heard that installers are hard to write, but really?

Ooh, look it runs!! It runs!! We've got a big, empty box, with three empty boxes in it!

• So, basically you followed the wrong instructions and Minecraft is the WTF? If you want to install on Windows you just download and run the installer. You followed the "...other OS or without GUI..." instructions.

• I've been hosting Minecraft servers for as long as it's been a thing and I've never seen that before...where did you download it from?

• @gingertrain said:

So, basically you followed the wrong instructions

Well... I was going to b* at you, but, hey, maybe I am the TWTF, so....
    I look at your link, crap, I got involved at the wiki page and didn't see the page you cite.

To CYA myself (isn't that an oxymoron?), I think that is the file we used, but I can't check just now.

Is there a hari-kiri "I am the TWTF" badge?

TDWTF may not be the hive of villainy we thought...

• @mott555 said:

WTF...where did you download it from?

(see my reply to gingertrain)

I think it was from minecraft.net

While I've got you, @mott555, my newbie is setting this up - should I be running, and not walking, to get a separate machine to host this on? Primarily security-wise?

• @ijij said:

While I've got you, @mott555, my newbie is setting this up - should I be running, and not walking, to get a separate machine to host this on? Primarily security-wise?

Well that depends. How many players, is the machine used for anything else, is it open to the Internet or LAN-only, is it always on, etc?

I run mine from an Ubuntu Server VM on my ESXi game server. A separate machine or VM is preferred if it's a dedicated server that you want to always be online, especially if you want to support more than a dozen players or so.

If it's just for LAN and uptime doesn't matter, there's also a way to open up a single-player game to the LAN and then you don't even need to touch the dedicated server executable.

• Mojang are planning (officially) to enforce the EULA and stop servers from charging real money for in-game advantages.

Apparently it starts from today and 1.7.10 is the first version where server admins have to specifically agree to the EULA, hence that new setting.

• Do they have to agree to it by editing the text file or is that something that's unique to the OP's setup?

• They have to explicitly agree in the file (from 1.7.10 onwards).

The EULA hasn't really changed but they have implied that charging for non-cosmetic benefits will be policed.

• Actually, this is not a bad trick.

You can't say you didn't read the EULA, because you had to specifically hunt down the file, open it in text editor and scroll through entire file before you can proceed.

The next step could be: "There are five inline switches throughout the text. You must set all of them before you can proceed."

• @coldandtired:
    Apparently it starts from today and 1.7.10 is the first version where
    server admins have to specifically agree to the EULA, hence that new setting.

Oh cool. I'm not a complete idiot.

This made me edit a file - it still didn't make me read the EULA.

(we re-did it from scratch with download at minecraft.net (shoutout to @gingertrain, good reminder, bro); with the same results)

Every home project requires n+1 trips to the hardware store.
    Every programming project requires n+1 installs and m+1 configurations.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cartman82 said:

The next step could be: "There are five inline switches throughout the text. You must set all of them before you can proceed."

One word: Perl. Which is where this merges into the general evil ideas thread.