What's a really cool game that no one has made yet?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ben_lubar said:

> cartman82 said:
    a mindless roguelite I can play with half my brain

Hold an arrow key until you hit a wall and then hold a different arrow key and repeat.

Progress Quest.

• Progress Quest is an RPG, not a Rougelite.

@blakeyrat said:

I played it for about 2-3 hours and didn't have a lick of fun.

But you kept playing to see if it would get that way, huh?

@ben_lubar said:

Progress Quest is an RPG, not a Rougelite.

How do you know? Maybe the questing you're doing is in simulated randomly-generated dungeons.

• A roguelite about battles with generated bosses with generated mechanics in generated arenas that has enough variation that it's statistically unlikely for two players to have similar boss fights.

• UnEpic is a great game. I almost finished it too, which is rare for me.

• The humor fell flat for me. Not as bad as, say, Magicka (which is so unfunny it actually sucks funny out of the surrounding environment), but still pretty painfully unfunny.

• @blakeyrat said:

The humor fell flat for me. Not as bad as, say, Magicka (which is so unfunny it actually sucks funny out of the surrounding environment), but still pretty painfully unfunny.

Hmm... ok, it wasn't hilarious, but it had its moments. I liked the game on the mechanical level. I RPG-platformers are one of my go-to genres.

• I played until I got to that worm boss thing, and that guy kind of pissed me off and I gave up. Maybe I should give it another go.

• Magicka has this thing where a bunch of the spells can kill you instead of your enemy if you hit the wrong key. There's even a super-spell that kills a random non-boss onscreen.

At one point in the game, you are given an M60 by a bunch of peasants you defended and if you want to, you can just kill all of them. In fact, every npc in the game can be killed.

Hey, I know of another game where you can do anything and the game just accepts it and continues the story! Dwarf Fortress

• @ben_lubar said:

Magicka has this thing where a bunch of the spells can kill you instead of your enemy if you hit the wrong key.

And a "story" that is so unfunny, it'll make your living room feel like grandpa's funeral. (And controls so terrible that, of the many people I talked to who actually like that stinker of a game, about half of them have to use a third-party macro program to even play it at all.)

Strangely, Magicka also had a worm boss that pissed me off. This is like a new cliche: all RPG-ish games written by extremely unfunny people contained worm bosses that piss Blakeyrat off.

• I think it's just a part of RPGs. The Legend of Zelda also had a worm boss, and it even extends past RPGs to games like Risk of Rain.

• @ben_lubar said:

The Legend of Zelda also had a worm boss,

Not one that pissed me off. I think you're missing a critical component here.

But that's ok; from the systemd thread I've determined that there's some Maximum Overdrive-esque comet orbiting the Earth and shooting out "nobody can read above the 2nd grade level" rays today.

• I had interpreted what you wrote as two statements:

• worm bosses piss blakeyrat off
    • badly written rpgs have worm bosses

• Yeah well, the Maximum Overdrive-esque joke was funny anyway.

• @blakeyrat said:

The difference between EVE and MMOs designed by sane people is that in sane people MMOs, the assholes can't really hurt you so they either go away to another game (for example, EVE), or stop being assholes.

You're making the assumption that "PvP = assholery" -- which is actually much less true in Eve than it is in most other MMOs, especially if you subscribe fully to the First Rule of Eve:

1) Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

OTOH:

@Onyx said:

Fair enough. That's the most common complaint I heard and I think it's fine if you don't want to deal with a game where you can get killed wherever you are.

I'll agree with Onyx -- if only to spare Blakey the embarrassment of having one of his own rants dramatically read, then torched, on internet radio.

@Onyx said:

For me, that was a part of the charm. Life and death have real consequences. I felt more accomplished when winning and more inspired to get better at the game when losing. I found PvP in other MMOs kinda silly after EVE since they don't have any real impact, except for maybe some points in some games.

This.

I'll go as far as saying that Eve's greatest triumph is making PvP into something that has broader meaning beyond "oh lol, I ganked u n00b" followed by never seeing a trace of him again.

And to bring this full circle to the OT: I want to see a MMO that combines the sandboxiness of Eve (player-owned structures, territory occupancy if not sovereignty, world PvP, and a player-driven market) with a broad skill system (the notion of "One True Level" needs to die) and a personal-level setting -- i.e. something where your character is a person with his/her boots on the ground, so to speak. I haven't heard of such a thing yet -- a couple of MMOs have come close, but have had other issues with their developers that made them highly objectionable.

TRWTF is a dev that says that running their game under Wine is equivalent to botting/cheating.

• @cartman82 said:

My ideal game: a mindless roguelite I can play with half my brain, while listening to a good podcast or audiobook. Sad but true.

I've been racked up hundreds of hours in Binding of Isaac (and recently, tens of hours in BoI: Rebirth) doing exactly this.

• @hungrier said:

I've been racked up hundreds of hours in Binding of Isaac (and recently, tens of hours in BoI: Rebirth) doing exactly this.

I never got into Binding of Isaac. But I wasted several degrees worth of time in Hero Siege and Rogue Legacy.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@ben_lubar said:

I think it's just a part of RPGs. The Legend of Zelda

Funny, any time I call Zelda an RPG I get yelled at >.>

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said:

Funny, any time I call Zelda an RPG I get yelled at >.>

well.... it's a story mostly on rails, so you can't change the outcome. but then so are most other RPGS
    you have little control in how your characters advances, only in the equipment you have on hand; and yet this is not dissimilar to many admitted RPGs
    there are side missions that are little more than gofer work and collectathons; i see RPGs with worse side missions

i must conclude that Zelda is at least RPG-like, if not a true RPG....

Zelda has the feel of an RPG but the mechanics of a platformer, so RPG fans get upset when I call it an RPG because it doesn't have RPG mechanics, but platform fans also see very little platform-y about the game since it's got an RPG feel to it. Zelda is a Zelda-like game, I guess.

• FoxDev

i guess that is a more accurate description... ;-)

• @tarunik said:

You're making the assumption that "PvP = assholery" -- which is actually much less true in Eve than it is in most other MMOs, especially if you subscribe fully to the First Rule of Eve:

So... you're trying to say EVE isn't full of assholes, but only if you follow the advice "don't fly what you can't afford to lose".

First of all, I don't get the link between those two things. "Hey let's be a jerk to this guy!" "No, wait-- look! He's flying something he can afford to lose!" "Oh, in that case, let's give him presents." That makes... sense?

Secondly, the reason you fly ships you can afford to lose is because EVE is full of assholes who'll destroy your shit for no reason.

@tarunik said:

if only to spare Blakey the embarrassment of having one of his own rants dramatically read, then torched, on internet radio.

Oh noes. Internet radio.

Give me a link when you "dramatically read" my shit man. I wanna hear that.

@tarunik said:

I'll go as far as saying that Eve's greatest triumph is making PvP into something that has broader meaning beyond "oh lol, I ganked u n00b" followed by never seeing a trace of him again.

Yeah; it has a great broader meaning to people who are assholes and can tolerate playing in a game populated only by other assholes. Whoop-de-shit.

@tarunik said:

but have had other issues with their developers that made them highly objectionable.

They kept trying to exclude us assholes!

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said:

Give me a link when you "dramatically read" my shit man. I wanna hear that.
    ❤

• Considering that the only real differences between Ys and Zelda in terms of RPGish-ness are the fact that Ys has levels and EXP, while Zelda doesn't, it still confuses me that Ys is widely considered to be one of the most long-running series of ARPGs and Zelda isn't.

And some B-List ARPGs like "Illusion of Gaia" are even less ARPG than either of them.

Levels and XP are generally considered the most indispensable tropes that make an RPG an RPG or not. I think multiple characters and sidequests are the next least dispensable.

• @aliceif said:

has levels and EXP, while Zelda doesn't,

The best Zelda game, Zelda II, had experience and levels. It also had platform combat.

All other Zelda games suck ass.

• @blakeyrat said:

They kept trying to exclude us assholes!

My last line:

@tarunik said:

TRWTF is a dev that says that running their game under Wine is equivalent to botting/cheating.

says it all, if you think that "running a game under Wine" and "you're using h4x/botz, so BANHAMMER!" are equivalent, then you should be ashamed of yourself as a game developer. I'm A-OK with "we don't officially support this configuration -- if you find it's irreparably broken, you're on your own"; that's a norm the Wine world deals with on a regular basis. But banning people simply because they run your game under Wine/CrossOver, with the B.S. justification of "it puts a layer of software between the 'real input' and the game"? That is wrong on several levels -- not the least that you'll never get at the "real input" anyway because of creatures like Input Method Editors! And if you start banning people for using those with your game -- way to go, you just cheesed off a whole bunch of customers, especially those in China, Japan, and Korea...

@blakeyrat said:

I wanna hear that.

If you want to hear the torching targeted at someone else, hit up Eve-Radio on Monday nights (US) -- DJ Auger there runs a segment called "Ragequit Theater" where he takes public rageposts/rants from forums and tears them to shreds.

@blakeyrat said:

the reason you fly ships you can afford to lose is because EVE is full of assholes who'll destroy your shit for no reason.

Turnabout's just about always fair play in EVE.

• Wow, my thread about cool game ideas is now about a woman that eats apples from a tree she isn't supposed to... in space... or something.

• I would argue that the defining traits of an RPG are that the character's skill determines success, not the player's. You can do that without levelling or XP - See Ultima.

• In a more on-topic fashion, I've actually had a cool new game idea, but I'm not sharing it because one of you bastards is going to steal it and beat me to it because I'm so goddamn slow and easily distracted sob I should just uninstall Steam

• A gamification of the Linux command line interface.

You are a brave warrior that must leave your peaceful town in /home/ to seek the help of the wise old man in /etc/, find the magical sword hidden in the depths of /var/, and finally venture into the dangerous lands of /sys/ to slay the legendary monster. Beware, numerous dangers await in your path! Recursive directory mazes! Mysterious old undocumented shell scripts! Permissions!

As you progress through the filesystem you gain new abilities (commands) that you must use to solve puzzles and gain access to the next level (Zelda-style). Maybe your final objective would be some simple task (e.g. restart Apache) but you start with a very limited set of abilities. I haven't quite figured out the specifics yet.

You start with command "cd" probably, and eventually learn "rm" and "rmdir" and finally expand your cramped tiny kingdom with LVM and have room to install a desktop manager to escape the doldrums of the command line?

• This reminds me of a text adventure I saw once.

Someone actually turned DOOM into a text adventure. DOOM FFS.

• Doom IF seems a bit gimmicky, but doomrl is good fun.

• 🚽 Regular

ls
    You are in an empty folder.

Have you tried ls -exits yet?

• @Zecc said:

```text

ls
    You are in an empty folder.

```text
    > cd /dev/null
    It’s dark. You are likely to be eaten by a deamon.

• Has anyone ever made a game that's a virtual economy and nothing more?

I know lots of people "play" TF2 and other Steam games but actually just trade items all day. I know lots more people enjoy "incremental games" like cookie clicker. So I could see it working.

Just trading, and maybe a few mini-games to get items in the first place. It would need quite a bit of work to balance and maintain it but the results might be interesting.

I know there's stock trading simulators, but it's not quite the same since they're based on real world data, you can't interact with other players or anything like that.

• BINNED

@anonymous234 said:

Has anyone ever made a game that's a virtual economy and nothing more?

EVE Online and never undock from Jita 4-4?

• Just remember to ignore the local channel there...

• BINNED

@tarunik said:

Just remember to ignore the local channel there...

No shit. Setting local to not blink on new messages used to net you good 10 FPS at times 😆

• @anonymous234 said:

Just trading, and maybe a few mini-games

Any mobile free-to-play game?

• I think a lot of people play "Steam client" that way.

When you see a cheap (crappy) game on sale, look at how many people comment, "bought it just to get the trading cards".

• A lot of the comments on free-to-play games with no microtransactions are "I wish they had trading cards so I could make money for free."

• In those you only "trade" your money away to the developer, in exchange for feeding your addiction for another week.

• kills Dumbledore

There was a game I played years ago where you ran a government. You had to balance budgets, what went in to things like education and health, how heavily you taxed, etc. I managed to run a surplus with a reasonably happy population for a s while.

I think it might have been Democracy

• This post is deleted!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Destruction simulation game. The particle physics need to be as fine grained as possible.

You build up a city. Then you destroy it. You can go in at ground level with sledgehammers and grenades. Or get a fleet of fuel-filled tanker trucks to crash into stuff. Or chuck a meteor moving at 0.05c into the heart of the city. Watch it all in slow mo!