What's a really cool game that no one has made yet?

• 🚽 Regular

@Maciejasjmj said:

I had a cool idea for a game, where you'd design an electrical circuit (with all the gates, multiplexers, all that stuff) in order to make a robot get from point A to point B or do whatever else I'd think of.

It turned out it already exists, which made me give up my hopes and dreams.

There's also a game called Gate which I can't seem to find through a quick web search right now

@Keith said:

Did any of you guys play SpaceChem?
    Yep. Last time I played I had just unlocked the Fusion widget.

@Arantor said:

I tried it but I found it confused me very quickly.
    The worst part was not being able to save your game state to try different stuff. At least, not without going through their "cloud".
    I briefly considered making an interface over its saved game files, which were just Sqlite3 files.

My game suggestion: Arkanoid + Arcade Volleyball, maybe with some elements of pinball

• 🚽 Regular

@Maciejasjmj said:

Robocode
    Hey, we messed with that in college!

We established our on rules. We had teams consisting of a single "brain" — which was allowed to use its radar but not shoot — and two soldiers — who could shoot but were blind. The main objective was obviously to protect your brain while striking at the enemy's.

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

Half-Life 3.

Fallout: the Commonwealth.

• @Zecc said:

Yep. Last time I played I had just unlocked the Fusion widget.

When I started playing, I missed the fact that you could move the reactor's widgets, like the bonders. I got through quite a bit of the game like that, until I hit a level that really pushed me to the limit, basically filling the whole reactor grid with paths and symbols.

It seemed like it had been too difficult for the midway point of a casual game, so I looked up other solutions on YouTube and found one that had done it with about 8 symbols. That's when I discovered that the stupid things could be moved.

I'll post a screenshot later if I remember. There is beauty in its ridiculous complexity.

• 🚽 Regular

@Keith said:

I'll post a screenshot later if I remember.
    Screenshots are, interestingly, the best way to save your game.

• @Zecc said:

Screenshots are, interestingly, the best way to save your game.

I'm not sure how loading would work.

• @Zecc said:

My game suggestion: Arkanoid + Arcade Volleyball, maybe with some elements of pinball

I know it's not quite what you had in mind but I did once encounter an Arkanoid vs Tetris at once game, called Biprolex+.

• 🚽 Regular

@Keith said:

@Keith said:
    basically filling the whole reactor grid with paths and symbols.

• BINNED

@Keith said:

You write an application in VB that reads pixels from the image and clicks stuff in game for you?

Note: Never played it, but buttuming mouse controls.

• @cartman82 said:

My ideal game: a mindless roguelite I can play with half my brain

Diablo III.

• 🚽 Regular

@Arantor said:

I know it's not quite what you had in mind but I did once encounter an Arkanoid vs Tetris at once game, called Biprolex+.
    Seems interesting.

But yeah, I was thinking more in the lines of having essentially an Arcade Volley game; except the roof has breakable bricks that drop off power-ups or bad stuff; and below each half of the floor there's a mini pinball game which allows you to recover your ball and/or earn extra score (still limited by your maximum number of ball touches, obviously).

While I didn't mention it specifically, I did think of falling bricks. Bricks would keep falling in so you'd never ran out of roof.

I may actually make this game some day.

• @Keith said:

OCR

• @Zecc said:

I may actually make this game some day.

You have to start small when making games, to get an appreciation for the unique craft that is game making.

• @dhromed said:

Diablo III.

Too much Blizzard bullshit.

Currently, I'm into an old strategy/action/rpg/roguelike hybrid called Hinterland. It hits all the right spots.

• BINNED

@cartman82 said:

Hinterland. It hits all the right spots.

I'm sure it does.

• @Onyx said:

https://translate.google.com/#de/en/hinter

I'm sure it does.

Ugh. Walked into that one :-)

• A 2D MMORPG, with a PLOT TWIST: all players are computer-controlled, and the game is actually a year-long AI competition between several teams. Whoever wins gets the big prize.

• BINNED

@anonymous234 said:

A 2D MMORPG, with a PLOT TWIST: all players are computer-controlled, and the game is actually a year-long AI competition between several teams. Whoever wins gets the big prize.

Plot twist being that 2 months in all "players" start doing nothing but trolling each other and never reaching the max level, let alone the end boss?

• @Onyx said:

Plot twist being that 2 months in all "players" start doing nothing but trolling each other and never reaching the max level, let alone the end boss?

Or they all learn to co-operate and live happily ever after, teaching humanity a valuable lesson.

• BINNED

@Keith said:

Or they all learn to co-operate and live happily ever after, teaching humanity a valuable lesson.

You must be new here.

Filed under: By "here" I mean "real world"

• @Maciejasjmj said:

I had a cool idea for a game, where you'd design an electrical circuit (with all the gates, multiplexers, all that stuff) in order to make a robot get from point A to point B or do whatever else I'd think of.

That reminds me of a game that already exists, but desperately, desperately needs a remake: Warren Robinett's Rocky's Boots.

A copy of Rocky's Boots on C-64 taught me everything I ever needed to know about computer hardware.

• @Keith said:

Did any of you guys play SpaceChem? That game ticked all the right boxes for my brain, so might be fun for programmers in general. Also, it might offer some ideas for non non-existent game.

SpaceChem has many, many, many fundamental design problems.

Or maybe I'm just stupid.

Either way, I played it for about 2-3 hours and didn't have a lick of fun.

• @blakeyrat said:

Or maybe I'm just stupid.

I don't know, I haven't seen anyone openly agree with my ravings about it yet. It's possible that I'm just weird.

• @Arantor said:

Excel Vehicular-starships Edition is boring? Say it ain't so.

Somehow they managed to make a game where you either do the most boring things imaginable, or you have to interact with assholes. There's no third option: boring, or assholes.

It's really quite amazing. DOTA2 seems to be well on its way to duplicating their special sauce though.

• 🚽 Regular

@Keith said:

It seemed like it had been too difficult for the midway point of a casual game
    I openly agree with this.

• @dhromed said:

Diablo III.

You need like a tenth of a brain at most to make Diablo III entertaining. Maybe if you take enough morphine before playing...

I kid, I kid! Diablo III can never be made entertaining.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

you have to interact with assholes.

Overall, I think I met the least amount of outright assholes in EVE compared to other MMOs. Assholes in the terms of being someone you can talk to that is, what people do in the game might still be cruel, but that's kinda the nature of it. I befriended multiple people who wrecked my shit and/or got wrecked by me after the shooting was done.

YMMV of course.

• @Onyx said:

Overall, I think I met the least amount of outright assholes in EVE compared to other MMOs. Assholes in the terms of being someone you can talk to that is, what people do in the game might still be cruel, but that's kinda the nature of it. I befriended multiple people who wrecked my shit and/or got wrecked by me after the shooting was done.

Yeah well I haven't played it since about a year after it came out (because, you know, it's a shitty game), so maybe my info is out-of-date. But articles I read on the current EVE Online don't make it sound any better than the old EVE Online.

The difference between EVE and MMOs designed by sane people is that in sane people MMOs, the assholes can't really hurt you so they either go away to another game (for example, EVE), or stop being assholes.

(BTW, even World of Warcraft launched with asshole servers that allowed PK at any time in any location. But they were segregated from the non-assholes.)

The problem with games like EVE and DOTA2 isn't that they have assholes, all games get assholes, but they have no mechanics to encourage the assholes to leave.

• @Keith said:

Isn't that the premise of every robot apocalypse ever?

• :belt_onion:

@Arantor said:

It's even been done. Look up Core Wars, or redcode. Heck, there's also Omega from years ago where you upgrade tanks and give them battle programs.

Robotwar is another one (and possibly the original). Our University held an annual Robotwar programming contest. I'll toot my own horn (or trumpet, only emoji I can find here) 🎺 and admit that the year I participated, I created the 1st and 3rd place robots. It's a pretty fun programming game.

http://corewar.co.uk/robotwar/index.htm

@blakeyrat said:

The problem with games like EVE and DOTA2 isn't that they have assholes, all games get assholes, but they have no mechanics to encourage the assholes to leave.

The game mechanics of DOTA & DOTA2 seem to actively encourage the assholes to ruin your game.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

The difference between EVE and MMOs designed by sane people is that in sane people MMOs, the assholes can't really hurt you so they either go away to another game (for example, EVE), or stop being assholes.

Fair enough. That's the most common complaint I heard and I think it's fine if you don't want to deal with a game where you can get killed wherever you are.

For me, that was a part of the charm. Life and death have real consequences. I felt more accomplished when winning and more inspired to get better at the game when losing. I found PvP in other MMOs kinda silly after EVE since they don't have any real impact, except for maybe some points in some games.

• @darkmatter said:

Robotwar is another one (and possibly the original).

Hehe

"Welcome to the battlefield of the future! It is the year 2002."

• BINNED

@Keith said:

>Welcome to the battlefield of the future! It is the year 2002.

Man, that battlefield of the future in 2002 was boooo-riiing. I prefer 2003, when they changed it to the battlefield of the past and used comically big swords. That was much funnier to watch on the holovision.

Ha. Yeah, 2002 was at least still in the future when I did the robotwar programming. Though not by very much.

• @darkmatter said:

Ha. Yeah, 2002 was at least still in the future when I did the robotwar programming. Though not by very much.

I take it your primary goal was to prepare for the impending robot war?

• @Onyx said:

For me, that was a part of the charm. Life and death have real consequences.

If I wanted real consequences, I wouldn't be playing a video game.

@Keith said:

I take it your primary goal was to prepare for the impending robot war?

Nah, just to humiliate any other bots on the screen with me.

Which worked well, other than 1 tiny flaw. In a 1v1 scenario against the #2 robot, mine won something like 90% of the time. The times it lost were mainly due to a long range target scanning problem. If my bot wandered to the opposite side of the screen and the other guy's bot was programmed to not move after locating a target, then mine would get stuck scanning and if unable to ever locate a target then it would never move/shoot again.

The problem with trying to fix that was that clock cycles were so precious that there was no time to spare for that one-off scenario that happened less than 10% of the battles and pretty much only in 1v1 situations. Adding logic to handle that situation made my robot worse overall, so I just took the chance that it wouldn't occur enough to make me lose the competition.

• surely the plot twist is that they were all actually controlled by developers who died in mysterious circumstances while working on the game. ALL ALONG!

M NOT SHLONGFLONGERBONGLONG!

• Godsim where you are god and have to lead you People passively to success

• Black and White?

@Captain said:

Black and White?

Great game.

• 🚽 Regular

Except the whole creature thing didn't quite work was well as it should.

Also — although I've never played it myself — Populous.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Zecc said:

Populous

Yeah, I played that a lot way back when. Actually did some multiplayer using direct modem to modem calls.

• A game where you build complex structures out of simple pieces, like a cellular automaton (or like one of the many others that exist, Minecraft, The incredible machine, Gmod, etc). Except it would have hundreds of "base pieces" and would be designed to allow lots of complex combinations. For example, maybe adding iron in a concrete wall makes it more resistant, but iron rusts so you have to mix it with another metal.

To progress in the game you'd have to create more and more complex machines, combine previously created parts to create bigger machines, discover new materials and new ways to use materials. The idea is that it would simulate actual technological progress.

The game would obviously provide tools to store and reuse those basic structures (similar to how [url=http://jayisgames.com/games/kohctpyktop-engineer-of-the-people/]Kohctpyktop[/url] works), and maybe the interface itself could be "upgraded" as you advance (making it easier to create newer things). Eventually you could have challenges so hard they would need actual cooperation with other people (after you unlock an in-game forum to share knowledge and designs with other players).

Kinda hard to implement though.

• Isn't that every OO and functional language ever?

JavaScript's rules suck, though. 😦

• @CodeClown said:

Godsim where you are god and have to lead you People passively to success

This word is important. Black & White et al are positively non-passive god sims. black and white you basically spend your whole time throwing rocks at people.

How passively? are we permitted 0 influence? are we granted freedom to provide inspirational moments of clarity (eureka moments) to key individuals to aid civilizational development? are we allowed to hinder the evil elements of society, not through smiting, but through malaise and depression?

• BINNED

Not that they are as complex, but there are multiple Minecraft mode that attempt this, to various extents of depth (and success).

Off the top of my head: IndustrialCraft and Buildcraft for the bigger ones, with IC being the more detailed one but requiring more manual labour if used without other mods, and Buildcraft being more about automating stuff with comparably simpler machines (technologically simpler, not necessarily simpler to use in game).

• This word is important. Black & White et al are positively non-passive god sims. black and white you basically spend your whole time throwing rocks at people.

You can play it that way or you can train your pet and let it do its thing while you hang out.

• 🚽 Regular

@Captain said:

or you can train your pet and let it do its thing while you hang out.
    This is the part where the game failed for me.
    My Holy Cow seemed to be pretty stupid despite my best attempts at training it. I lost count of the amount of times I tried to teach it that eating villagers was bad but pooping in fields was good.