That's not a parking spot - really!

• Original story link here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/5400196.stm

The first 3 paragraphs say it all:

A driver has had his parking ticket quashed after he discovered workmen had painted the single-yellow line underneath his car.

Nasser Khan returned to his car to find the line had been painted while he was away - and a ticket issued.

The incident in Salford was caught on camera by an office worker.

See link for full story...

• If Moses won't come to the line, the line will come to Moses.

• That's classic.  What's next, portable fire hydrants?

• [quote user="cconroy"]That's classic.  What's next, portable fire hydrants?[/quote]

Didn't Prohías use that in Spy vs. Spy?  Or was it Bugs Bunny?  It's too early to think this hard, I haven't had my 2nd Red Bull yet.

• I was reading this earlier on Ananova. For anyone after a regular supply of non-tech WTFs, check out their quirkies section.

Anyway back to the story at hand... that's some typical jobsworth in action there. The guy should count himself lucky that they didn't paint over the car instead of under it!!

• [quote user="RayS"]I was reading this earlier on Ananova. For anyone after a regular supply of non-tech WTFs, check out their quirkies section.[/quote]

Ananova has been banned from fark.com, because they frequently post completely false things as real news -- seems they think fact checking is somebody else's job.

And fark will post just about anything...

Long story short, they're entertainment, not news.

• What's a "tyre"? And what kind of painting equipment can ruin tires?

• First, "tyre" is the proper spelling in the UK, and a few places where their brand of English has been dominant.

Amusingly enough, I had something very similar happen to me some years ago.

I had parked my car next to my house, some distance from the corner.

The curb was painted yellow while my car was there, and a ticket issued. 

I complained, of course, and even got a response to a letter written to the mayor.  He said he'd forward the complaint to the police department, but nothing came of it.

• [quote user="Thanny"]

First, "tyre" is the proper spelling in the UK, and a few places where their brand of English has been dominant.

[/quote]

The British spelling that really weirded me out when I first came across it was "pyjamas".

Somehow words like "flavour" and "recognise" never really bothered me, and I've adopted most of the s-instead-of-z spellings myself.

• [quote user="merreborn"]

[quote user="RayS"]I was reading this earlier on Ananova. For anyone after a regular supply of non-tech WTFs, check out their quirkies section.[/quote]

Ananova has been banned from fark.com, because they frequently post completely false things as real news -- seems they think fact checking is somebody else's job.

And fark will post just about anything...

Long story short, they're entertainment, not news.

[/quote]Yes, I've heard similar, but I figure that even still, they probably have an accuracy similar to the tabloids, and some of the WTFs here. In a way I don't care if they're real, just that they're funny, like this one.

• Personally I think they did have a case for issuing a ticket.

According to the article the only reason the line wasn't painted was that when they were painting the line in (after road works) there had been a car parked there overnight.  So you have a yellow line, and then a break in it large enough for one car (seeing as they didn't paint it the night before), after which the yellow line continues.

I think the guy could have shown a little common sense.  Of course painting underneath the car is also unjustified.

• [quote user="evnafets"]

Personally I think they did have a case for issuing a ticket.

According to the article the only reason the line wasn't painted was that when they were painting the line in (after road works) there had been a car parked there overnight.  So you have a yellow line, and then a break in it large enough for one car (seeing as they didn't paint it the night before), after which the yellow line continues.

I think the guy could have shown a little common sense.  Of course painting underneath the car is also unjustified.

[/quote]Actually, as long as there's no yellow line there, parking is legal, no matter the reason for the absense of the line. Something similar happened to a friend of mine a while back after they resurfaced the road.

In fact, since the yellow line is not complete, it is legal to park at any point along it. The same applies to doubles. Since it is not a single continuous line properly terminated at each end, it's not as per legal specification and not enforcable.

There are plenty of details out there if you google it...(sorry lawyers) use the Google(TM) search engine to find them.

• the question remains if there were any signs around saying no parking. 

• In fact, since the yellow line is not complete, it is legal to park at any point along it. The same applies to doubles. Since it is not a single continuous line properly terminated at each end, it's not as per legal specification and not enforcable.

I for one applaud your optimistic imagination regarding parking enforcement systems.

• [quote user="pauluskc"]the question remains if there were any signs around saying no parking. [/quote]

Nah; in British law the line in all important - if there are signs (only when there is single - not double yellow lines) they only apply to the area of road covered by the lines. I get this
    several times a year, as I live near a big park which is used for a lot of celebrations (Diwali soon, followed by fireworks night), each time they try and make the road no parking.
    But they can't place the cones if a car is already there.

BTW The word is "tyre" in English (being the language spoken by the English people). In the American dialect it may be spelt "tire" but we will teach you lot to spell one of these days.

• [quote user="Cosmo7"]

In fact, since the yellow line is not complete, it is legal to park at any point along it. The same applies to doubles. Since it is not a single continuous line properly terminated at each end, it's not as per legal specification and not enforcable.

I for one applaud your optimistic imagination regarding parking enforcement systems.[/quote]

Maybe optimistic, maybe not, but still factual.

Or have you, like me, been involved in such things? 

• [quote user="dave"]
    BTW The word is "tyre" in English (being the language spoken by the English people). In the American dialect it may be spelt "tire" but we will teach you lot to spell one of these days.
    [/quote]

I propose this idea be tabled.