The Official Status Thread

• @izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

:xckd_jousting_while_compiling.gif:

Um, actually it was fencing.

• @magus
    They were clearly riding those chairs as steeds. Thus making it jousting.

• @izzion Please, only a child could consider a steed the requirement for jousting. Clearly a lance is the true indicator. As the combatants used, instead, foils you are clearly just unable to use basic skills such as observation and reason.

• @magus
    Probably because those skills, along with my sanity, have fled in horror from waiting for the script editor in these freaking SSIS packages...

• Notification Spam Recipient

@tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

I feel lied to.

Apparently, I can't install Windows 10. You know, despite already having installed Windows 10. Maybe I should have used the Non-hacked version that doesn't have those kind of restrictions... 🚎

0_1518546698536_d1d78910-1b5a-4d27-979a-5d4a838082e2-image.png

Oh, well since a shiny new (un-asked-for) icon got dropped on my desktop (silly malware, I don't use the desktop to launch programs!):

0_1518546808955_2854c7e4-9052-435b-b7fc-fed4c7cac9bd-image.png

Nope, Windows 10 MOST DEFINITELY won't run on this PC. I should get my eyes checked, for I have been deceived...

Status: Why the fuck is a folder that's in "Public" not accessible to the public?

0_1518546926742_cad28089-8e7b-4add-b3e9-2aed796afc32-image.png

Should have put it somewhere else if you wanted it private!

• @tsaukpaetra
    That's a UAC lock thing - the folder's accessible to anyone with Adminstrator permissions, but it requires elevated permissions to get into by the "Administrators" group permission, so you get that prompt when you try to access via Windows Explorer (which, by design, can't elevate on its own).

So then Windows Explorer "fixes" the problem by granting your account individually permissions, making sure that nobody will ever be able to find and remove your access if you get removed from the Administrators group at a later date. #winning.

@izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

@tsaukpaetra
    That's a UAC lock thing - the folder's accessible to anyone with Adminstrator permissions, but it requires elevated permissions to get into by the "Administrators" group permission, so you get that prompt when you try to access via Windows Explorer (which, by design, can't elevate on its own).

So then Windows Explorer "fixes" the problem by granting your account individually permissions, making sure that nobody will ever be able to find and remove your access if you get removed from the Administrators group at a later date. #winning.

I know that. But clearly access to VM vhds isn't something the average user should have (which is why they locked it down to just Administrators (and Hyper-V administrators, I guess)). But its location indicates otherwise.

• @blakeyrat said in The Official Status Thread:

@groaner said in The Official Status Thread:

Settlement is at the end of next month.

I closed a house in 2.5 weeks. Wuss.

If my current lease didn't end at the end of April, I'd consider moving sooner.

• BINNED

Status: It was 70 Friday, it's in the 40s now and expected to be back up to 70 Thursday. Our four seasons here in Texas are as follows: Warm, Really Hot, Still Hot, and "Fuck if I know, it could be anything".

• @tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

@pie_flavor said in The Official Status Thread:

@anotherusername said in The Official Status Thread:

@tsaukpaetra I think ini files themselves are probably more or less deprecated. Expecting them to support Unicode of any sort is probably expecting too much -- just consider yourself lucky if you can get away with putting UTF-8 byte sequences in and it doesn't munge them up...

Yeah, INI files are shit. Why not use TOML?

Is there an implementation in C++ that won't bloat the executable for no reason?

I need to configure a maximum of five values (two in practice). Why go through all this hassle for that?

Code it in whatever you want, then just run the resulting .exe through UPX?

Dynasty Warriors 9 - The Worst Dynasty Warriors Game Ever Made (Jimpressions) – 32:54
    — Jim Sterling

Welp, I guess I'll wait and see how the Empires version is...

@djls45 said in The Official Status Thread:

@tsaukpaetra I think ini files themselves are probably more or less deprecated. Expecting them to support Unicode of any sort is probably expecting too much -- just consider yourself lucky if you can get away with putting UTF-8 byte sequences in and it doesn't munge them up...

Is there an implementation in C++ that won't bloat the executable for no reason?

I need to configure a maximum of five values (two in practice). Why go through all this hassle for that?

Is that still a thing?

@djls45 said in The Official Status Thread:

Is that still a thing?

The last update was for version 3.94 back on 12 May 2017, so I would guess it's fairly current with respect to executable formats.

• sekret PM club

Status: Been earwormed by an indie song. I watched Jacksepticeye's playthrough of Life is Strange Season 1, and the song that played through the ending he got stuck in my head like glue. It's making me sad, because while I loved the story of that game, it's really kind of a sad ending either way you end up.

Here's the song, it's actually somewhat peaceful on its own, but it keeps bringing back the ending in my head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrXpFh2IHZY

Status: I r the dumb and overrode the == operator... Reverting and replacing the actual references with .Equals() now...

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

0_1518556916904_14364b4f-6adf-4ad3-a222-39ce3fc1fcf1-image.png

Dangit. I might actually have to read it now.

Status: I r the dumb and overrode the == operator... Reverting and replacing the actual references with .Equals() now...

Operator overloading is easily the biggest :wtf: in C#

• @dreikin I'll give you a bit of a demonstration of what those books are like:

Rand began to gather power to himself. The power of the source felt good. It also felt bad. It felt like ultimate, seething darkness, and also like blinding, pure light. It felt like all the sweetness in the world, and also all the pain in it. If you took its power into you, you knew you could do anything, but the terror of losing yourself warred with that.

As the power suffused him, his senses were enhanced, and the smell and taste of all the wasted things around him became strong, but with it he was able to more easily decode the meaning of the detailed embroidery on the merchant's pants. The embroidery was exquisitely detailed, probably designed by a Smlorgl artisan, the greatest in all the land. Anyway, that wasn't why he had gathered the power, so he turned his focus to the task at hand.

Rand began to gather power to himself. The power of the source felt good. It also felt bad. It felt like ultimate, seething darkness, and also like blinding, pure light. It felt like all the sweetness in the world, and also all the pain in it. If you took its power into you, you knew you could do anything, but the terror of losing yourself warred with that.

As the power suffused him, his senses were enhanced, and the smell and taste of all the wasted things around him became strong, but with it he was able to more easily decode the meaning of the detailed embroidery on the merchant's pants. The embroidery was exquisitely detailed, probably designed by a Smlorgl artisan, the greatest in all the land. Anyway, that wasn't why he had gathered the power, so he turned his focus to the task at hand.

Oh no, I just died before I could finish writing the book!

They're just such good books.....

everything I need

Relevant:

0_1518558111814_Screenshot_20180213-144008.png

Yes, I do believe my code runs perfectly fine on modern hardware TYVM...

• Considered Harmful

@weng said in The Official Status Thread:

@pie_flavor I too have heard of using .net core for not-asp.net

The state of documentation for anything developery that touches opensores anything is "if it ain't webby, nobody cares". I was afeared .net would go this way when they announced Core and my fears were realized.

Except Java. Non-web Java documentation is remarkably complete, if only marginally valid English.

And Java's Discord API is not nearly as good as C#'s. :(
    Even Heroku seems to be heftily web oriented.

• Considered Harmful

@jazzyjosh said in The Official Status Thread:

Operator overloading is easily the biggest :wtf: in C#

Why?

• @lorne-kates whoa. Hey, @ben_lubar, I think I found a bug; Nodebb seems to be cross-linking with 4chan.

Filed Under: Not an actual InCel MRA, but an amazing replica!

• @magus It's brilliant in its simplicity, yet complex in its subtlety.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@magus said in The Official Status Thread:

@dreikin I'll give you a bit of a demonstration of what those books are like:

Thank you for saving me from a grave mistake. That is not the author I thought it was.

• status poor, brave, heroic Tachikomas...

• @dreikin It paints a very interesting and detailed world full of horrible characters, with horrible writing.

Someone here likes it very much.

• @magus said in The Official Status Thread:

@dreikin I'll give you a bit of a demonstration of what those books are like:

I read up to only about 8 or 9 before I quit (because our library didn't have the others yet), and that's just about the best description of the parts of the story from Rand's perspective that I've seen. He was my least-favorite character because of that. His struggle with trying to control the magic he was using, prevent it from overwhelming him, and keep his sanity became extremely repetitive.

I mean, it started out that he was just simply more powerful as a male that could do magic, but it quickly devolved into him wanting to avoid using magic because it would consume him, but being forced to by the situation, then nearly losing himself to it, but being saved by someone/something at the last moment before he was totally lost, then the next plot bump appears, and the cycle repeats all over again. Even the continually downward spiral of Pact by Wildbow is more interesting than Rand Al-Thor's perpetual circling around the drain.

I enjoyed the parts from the perspectives of the other characters a whole lot more.

Status: I think I have the rat getting a little more comfortable venturing out, time to start plan B section 3...

• @djls45 I liked about two of those perspectives. One was because I like the trickster character archetype - plus he did some things because he felt like it, which no one else did in the entire series - and the other was because she was one of the only female characters without a Napoleon complex. Like seriously, there are maybe 3 in the whole series, and only two are major characters.

• Considered Harmful

@djls45 I haven't read any of Wildbow's works besides Worm; is Pact bad? If so, are the rest of them any good?

• STATUS

Boss: Working with Americans is so much nicer. I got a nice professional outline, with everything they understood about the project, the suggested deliverables, everything. The <local outsourcing guy> sent me some stupid mail with a few vague bullet points, so unprofessional!

Me: (thinking of how Boss conducts his own outsourcing business and how organized *he* is) Yeah, that must suck, huh.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

if cmd_string is not None:
                cmd_string = "{0:s}".format(cmd_string)

Yes, cmd_string is a string at that point when it isn't None…

• Java Dev

 Do you want to update now?
    pleegwat No, now is not convienient.
    🕑 Next day, same time
     Do you want to update now?
    pleegwat No, now is not convienient.
    🕔 Later that day
    pleegwat OK, I'd like to update now.
     You can only update when prompted.

💢

• @pie_flavor said in The Official Status Thread:

Java's Discord API

DansGame

Someone here likes it very much.

Bootblacking?

• @pie_flavor said in The Official Status Thread:

@djls45 I haven't read any of Wildbow's works besides Worm; is Pact bad? If so, are the rest of them any good?

I liked them. For sure, the writing improves as Wildbow learns and gains experience, and it's fairly clear with Pact and Twig that he's branching out and experimenting with new ideas.

• Worm (Parahumans) is a superhero story with a downward spiral as villains and monsters destroy the world, with a tiny bright spot at the end.
    • Pact is a modern fantasy (with plenty of nightmare fuel) with a downward spiral as the protagonist tries to escape a literal demonic hellscape, with a tiny bright spot at the end.
    • Twig is a somewhat historical outlook if the Industrial revolution were biological instead of mechanical and the British Empire remained in control of most of the world. It starts off with a monster-of-the-week feel and goes with that for a while, but towards the end it very quickly ramps up to the major conflicts, but it ends on a very interesting (to me, at least) note. Again, the protagonist falls into a downward spiral as he fights to keep ahold of his sanity and personality, but his friends (and some enemies) help a bit with that, so he doesn't feel quite as alone as Skitter or Blake do.
    • Ward (Worm/Parahumans 2) is going well. I like the characters, and the end of Worm left lots of opportunities for conflict.

• @djls45 Sounds like he really likes downward spirals.

Which can be a good thing. Robin Hobb sure did interesting things after a downward whirlpool of despair.

And then we have Brandon Sanderson, who, while he clearly has too high an opinion of himself for someone who writes every single book around a character with an identical archetype being tortured and gaining godlike powers, is still a good author.

Status: super stoked about the cloud cover today. We might get rain today. Then again, idiots don't know how to drive in the rain and freak out at the first sign of moisture...

• @Magus Yeah, Wildbow seems to like doing bad things to his characters. Ward seems like it could go either way at this point. Everything is starting out in a pretty bad place (it picks up shortly after the end of Worm, though, so that's understandable), and there's lots of room for both improvement and devolution.

I wondered if the rest of the WoT stories by Sanderson would be any good, but it sounds like he's the perfect match to finish Rand's story.

• @djls45 said in The Official Status Thread:

I wondered if the rest of the WoT stories by Sanderson would be any good, but it sounds like he's the perfect match to finish Rand's story.

Basically. The author dying was the best thing that ever happened to that story. The problem was never the plot, it was the writing.

• Status: I decided to go on spotify and listen to songs that have nothing to do with what day it is, to forget my sorrows for a little while at least.

0_1518626683473_adc32351-1c20-4af1-bb24-6e6cd2b60c3d-image.png

I hope everyone who clicks on this gets the middle prize.

nothing to do with what day it is, to forget my sorrows for a little while at least.

What day it is: It's my wedding anniversary. Not just any anniversary; 25 years. Unfortunately, being no longer married makes this rather less something to be celebrated.

Valentine's Day went from being my least favorite holiday to my favorite, back to being even less favored than it was at first.

• Status: Anyone who does booleanValue ? true : false should be .

• @jazzyjosh
    That's a great emote of :kim_jong-un:

• @izzion said in The Official Status Thread:
    @jazzyjosh
    That's a great emote of :kim_jong-un:

*BLAM* HERESY!

• @izzion I was thinking this:

0_1518628962865_hqdefault.jpg

But I guess the hat color's wrong.

• @blakeyrat Mousing over it, the image is named COMISSAR, and the hat is red, so it is a type of officer in Warhammer 40k's Imperial GuardAstra Militarum. They are known for immediately shooting any of their men who break rank or show the slightest sign of heretical thought.

• @magus Ok but Raul Julia as M.Bison is still the best performance in film history.

EDIT: perhaps second to Nicholas Cage in The Wicker Man.

• @izzion It's actually :commissar: