The Official Status Thread

• @lorne-kates I said people who have run-ins, so, no, I am not pointing to absolute numbers, nor am I using numbers that are "adjusted for racial demographics". See, you might not realize this, but it turns out, crime in the US is not evenly distributed according to racial demographics. I am adjusting for (or trying to, at least) run-ins.

Here's the WaPo:

According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

Their numbers check out. But... here's the catch. Black Americans are more than 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to have run-ins with the police. Basically, there's this novel concept that people who are a lot more likely to be engaged in violent confrontations -- run-ins, if you will -- with the police should logically also be a lot more likely to be shot by the police. The National Review mentions this:

The Post’s unspoken assumption is that police killings should match America’s overall demographic statistics. That might sound right at first, but it is well understood in academic circles that using population as a benchmark can be dangerous, because not all people are equally likely to come into confrontation with the police.

... both the basic data and less superficial analyses than the Post’s show that is not the case. With a few notable exceptions, violent criminal attacks are the best predictor of whom police might shoot in America.

If violent crime is the best predictor of whom police might shoot, then it stands to reason that black Americans would be a lot more likely to be shot, because they represent a disproportionately large amount of the crime. And actually, once you adjust for violent crime rates (instead of population), blacks are less likely to be shot than you'd expect. Which is what I said.

• Is this a good point to mention that thirty times as many people died of falling accidents in the US in 2017 than from officer-involved killings?

According to Wicked-Pedo, the 2017 figures for officer-related deaths ranging from as low as 100 to as high as 995 (the figure given by the Washington Post). The website killedbypolice.net gives a figure of 1188, but the sources seem to be poorly vetted. I am willing to take the WaPo figure as the high end.

Note that there is a discrepancy of an order of magnitude in what is counted as an 'officer-related death'.

But that hardly matters, as even the 1200 figure isn't statistically significant - county medical examiners misfile more death reports each year than that.

Not that it matters, because that mostly reflects increased reporting. The actual number is probably dropping, and is certainly lower than what it would have been in, say, 1977, which in turn was probably less than in 1917 - and here I do mean the actual numbers, meaning that the proportional figures were far higher in the past.

In other words, nearly everyone weighing in on this is talking out their ass, which admittedly is SOP for any kind of 'controversial topic'.

(you see this shit all the time. Consider this: 90% of the supposedly 11 million people who cross the US border illegally leave within 8 months - most of them stay less than 3 weeks, that being how long it takes to find a short-term agricultural job, finish the season, and leave. Most cross the border two or three times a year; this means that of the ~1.2 million actual people who cross the border, less than 100,000 actually remain for a year or more. The primary effect of border enforcement is that it drives up produce prices and waste a lot of money. Everything else? Negligible - even drug trafficking across the land borders isn't really significant; the trafficking in cocaine generally isn't across a land border, and most of the 'opiate crisis' is from illicit sales of prescription medicines, while most meth is produced inside the US within 50 miles of the place it is consumed, as are cannabis, 'designer drugs', and hallucinogens - not that hallucinogens have ever been more than a footnote anyway.

BTW, while the misreporting is now mostly on the part of empire-building ICE agents, historically it was the "immigrants' rights activists" in the 1970s and 1980s - almost all of whom were US citizens, or would have been had their births been reported - who were most inclined to overstate the figure. This was mostly due to a statistical blind spot prior to that point - the majority of the US Hispanic community are people who families had been in Texas, California, and the Southwest before the Mexican War, but were consistently overlooked because they lived in small, rural, Spanish-speaking communities which the government wasn't even aware of. The change came starting in the 1930s, when most of these people were driven into cities by the Dust Bowl and later economic changes, meaning that it looked as if there were hordes of 'immigrants' in those areas.)

1/10, would not read again. Please Jeff this idiocy to the Garage.

Humanity goes back to Earth after 'nope'ing away to escape Godzilla, and finds that 10k years have gone by, and Godzilla is still just wandering around waiting for them.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: Finished watching @e4tmyl33t's playthrough of Rumu. Not such a bad little story after all.

• BINNED

status security theater of the day: call the customer to have them activate the remote account, they dully note my name and the reason I'm connecting. Unfortunately this is useless since once activated the vpn is active for an entire day and can (and will) be used by anybody here for any issue on any application we are supporting.
    At least I hope this checks their GDPR requirements check box.

• @scholrlea said in The Official Status Thread:

Is this a good point to mention that thirty times as many people died of falling accidents in the US in 2017 than from officer-involved killings?

You're still doing it a lot more than Germany, for example.

0_1516631669564_4e25b0be-ed1f-4a5d-be21-4f659ca8bd19-image.png

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_by_countries

• area_pol

This post is deleted!

• @sockpuppet7 You should try having a Chicago in your country.

var bleh = something
        .GetThings<OfThisOneKind>(FromThePlaceCalled.WhateverThisIs)
        .Where(w => w.SomeKey == thing.Key
                                    && w.SomethingElse == Another.Thing // :wtf: why the spacing
                                    && w.DontForget == me.Either)
        .ToArray();

bleeeeeeh.ToList().ForEach(i => // NO, the people who designed it say not to use this. And there's no *way* `i` is appropriate.
    { // Ugh, they're trying to make me sick. Just use a normal fore- oh... oh no.......
        var b = new List<Thing>();
        foreach (var item in bleh) // NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
        {
            if (item.Something == i.Something) // ...OOOOOOOOOOOOO...
            {
                b.Add(new Thing // ...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
                {
                }
            }
        }
    }

• That code needs AcetaminophenParacetamol to deal with the pain. What I deal with needs OxyContin.

• @jazzyjosh That's it, anonymized, retyped, and with things at least vertically aligned with eachother.

It's also not the worst part of the code, just a good example.

It probably runs horribly too...

• Considered Harmful

@magus Part of the reason I enjoy Rider is that it'd just wrap that whole thing in a warning, and if you Alt-Enter'd it, it'd sanify itself.

Status: Day 1 writing in Vue.js: Well, I figured out that Visual Studio is "Helping" fix attribute names (since, apparently attributes can't start with a colon). Yay errors go away!

• :belt_onion:

Try to copy/paste executable files into server via RDP: "There is insufficient disk space to complete this operation." You're lying. The files are 2 GB and there's 15 GB free.

Try to robocopy (from redirected drive): A few of the files are corrupted. Robocopy, how did you even...

Copy/paste single executable file into server: Works, and isn't corrupted. Well, guess I'm doing them one by one then...

• @heterodox How the hell did you make a 2 gigabyte EXECUTABLE?

@ben_lubar said in The Official Status Thread:

@heterodox How the hell did you make a 2 gigabyte EXECUTABLE?

Sorry, I should say mixed executables and zips. But it wouldn't be surprising given that executables can contain resources of any size (and extract them or not as the case may be). Anyway, the executables were corrupted (no version resource, no digital signature). Everything works now though.

Edit: Whenever I'm posting I'm getting a "page cannot be found" then I'm redirected to my post. What the fuck is going on.

• @ben_lubar said in The Official Status Thread:

@heterodox How the hell did you make a 2 gigabyte EXECUTABLE?

As he says, executables can contain resources. SFX archives and installers would be obvious guesses.

@heterodox said in The Official Status Thread:

What the fuck is going on.

Your transparent MITM proxy is fuckin' with yo connection, same with the RDP? :trollface:

• Status: I have returned from the land of polite people and impolite, cold rain. I am tired. Chrome is not happy about having to load so many tabs when I opened it. I am not reading several hundred posts in this thread. I see that the impolite Canadian has returned to active status. I have too many notifications.

@tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Your transparent MITM proxy is fuckin' with yo connection, same with the RDP? :trollface:

Not possible. My guess would be anti-virus fucking with things in some way, though I don't know why it wouldn't happen when I copy files one by one. Whatever; all I needed to do was get them inside the enclave then I can copy them between servers all over the place.

(And yes, all the files were installers or patch files.)

0_1516686136181_47fe3bd4-eebe-4d91-9433-5ed50e79d0f7-image.png

I had $0.01 in my steam wallet. Well, no more!

• area_can

Does a straw have 1 hole or 2 holes?

@bb36e said in The Official Status Thread:

Neither: It has an anus.

• @tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Did you buy like 10% of the DLC for train simulator?

• @bb36e said in The Official Status Thread:

If I poke a hole in the side of a straw, is that 1, 2, or 3 holes?

@ben_lubar said in The Official Status Thread:

Did you buy like 10% of the DLC for train simulator?

Sony Vegas Steam version. I was more interested in the DVD Authoring tool it was bundled with.

• kills Dumbledore

@bb36e said in The Official Status Thread:

Topologically, it's a torus. So one hole

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@hardwaregeek said in The Official Status Thread:

I see that the impolite Canadian has returned to active status.

You were in Canada and didn't give me money? Fuck you.

• @ben_lubar The same way PUBG is able to take up 3gb of system RAM while idle.

Sony Vegas Steam version.

The Steam version doesn't allow you to run two instances of Vegas at once. You got ripped off.

Refund and buy the real product. Tell them why you refunded, because if Steam's gonna sell applications, they need to fix their "only one instance at a time!" bug.

• sekret PM club

@tsaukpaetra I love that little robot.That story went a different way than I thought it would, but I loved what they did with it.

• @blakeyrat But Sony doesn't own Vegas anymore 🤔

• @jazzyjosh Yes and most versions of it aren't called "Vegas" anymore, either. AND YET everybody still calls it "Sony Vegas", because fuck all y'all.

If he had posted about MAGIX Movie Studio Platinum, it's likely nobody know would know what the hell he was talking about.

@blakeyrat said in The Official Status Thread:

The Steam version doesn't allow you to run two instances of Vegas at once

My use case never has me running two instances at once. Why would I do that?

Even then, don't software licenses normally stipulate that you're not supposed to be running them on more than one machine at a time? That's the only scenario I can think of where this might be useful, and I don't think I've ever seen software that requires registration to let it's key key be activated/used on multiple computers....

• kills Dumbledore

I don't think I've ever seen software that requires registration to let it's key key be activated/used on multiple computers....

Sergey Vlasov grants you a non-exclusive license to use Tabs Studio on any number of computers or electronic devices so long as you are the only user of Tabs Studio. You may not permit other individuals to use your registered copy of Tabs Studio or to use your Tabs Studio registration code.

My use case never has me running two instances at once. Why would I do that?

So one can be rendering while you're editing the next episode. Why would you not do that? I never put together just one episode at a time.

Even then, don't software licenses normally stipulate that you're not supposed to be running them on more than one machine at a time?

Who said anything about multiple machines? I said multiple instances.

That's the only scenario I can think of where this might be useful, and I don't think I've ever seen software that requires registration to let it's key key be activated/used on multiple computers....

Steam actually does do that, but I'm sure it'd treat "apps" the same way it treats games-- basically you can't run it on two different machines simultaneously.

But, again, I never brought up multiple machines. That came from your head, not mine.

My gripe is that Valve's launcher greatly cripples Vegas, making it useless to me. I only found that out the hard way, after buying it on Steam and having to refund it.

• @pie_flavor I don't care if you use a tool to fix that stuff. I know how to fix it, and could do it with a tool if I cared...

What I care about is the fact that someone wrote this code, someone reviewed it, and it's now in our repository.

while you're editing the next episode

You seem to have gotten it in your head that I'm creating YouTube videos with this. I don't know where you got this notion, I never said anything like that.

That came from your head, not mine.

Right, and I explicitly said so too. Your point?

My use cases are not your use cases.

• @blakeyrat said in The Official Status Thread:

@jazzyjosh Yes and most versions of it aren't called "Vegas" anymore, either. AND YET everybody still calls it "Sony Vegas", because fuck all y'all.

If he had posted about MAGIX Movie Studio Platinum, it's likely nobody know would know what the hell he was talking about.

I wonder if that's the one MAGIX keeps bugging me to upgrade to. I bought a retail version of Magix Something-or-other — I dunno — maybe 15 years ago, or something, haven't touched it in 14, and they're still bugging me to upgrade to the latest version.

• Status: Seems they got at least this thing right about dealing with HighDPI displays in Windows10 (can't tell about other instances).

I've got the SmartNotebook software installed on my Surface Book because it's frankly less of a hassle to plug my Book into the Smartboard than copy my files onto my school PC and later copy them off again in order to be able to prepare stuff at home. Plus, the school PC is slow as molasses and has an outdated version of the software.

However, I became a bit annoyed at the program because some things were scaled correctly (like the main taskbar on top) but others weren't (like pretty much any and all dialog windows).

Turns out that you can simply right-click the .exe, go to the compatibility tab and change the DPI scaling from "application" to "system", thus overriding the shitty half-assed scaling they did.

And suddenly everything is properly scaled. :)

• Status: Dragon Ball FighterZ has one thing that bugs me so far, even though it isn't out yet. There are kind of weight groups characters seem to fill: small, medium, and large.

So for:

• Saiyans, you have like Kid Gohan and Gotenks for small, almost everyone for medium, and Nappa for large.
    • Majins, you have Kid Buu for small, 21 for medium, and Buu for large.
    • Androids, you have 18, Cell, and 16
    • But humans? You have, like, Krillin as small... and then just Ten Shinhan and Yamcha.

A minor annoyance, for sure. It just seems untidy. There aren't any small size alien characters, only medium, but that seems like it has options.

• Status: I finally understand one of the core ways Angular works.

And I utterly despise it.

You don't... share things in Angular. You use the built-in IoC to share 'service's between 'component's. Services, then, are giant stateful blobs used by multiple things. This, apparently, is the correct way to use Angular.

• @magus said in The Official Status Thread:

@sockpuppet7 You should try having a Chicago in your country.

Our police kills a lot more, but we're not "developed".
    And a kid can't send a swat team to someone's house with an anonymous phone call here.

• @sockpuppet7 It's just especially weird here, because if you removed NYC, Chicago, and... I dunno, maybe LA from the country, every statistic suddenly looks really good.

• @magus said in The Official Status Thread:

@sockpuppet7 It's just especially weird here, because if you removed NYC, Chicago, and... I dunno, maybe LA from the country, every statistic suddenly looks really good.

Don't forget Baltimore and Detroit.

• @magus I'd like statistics of police killing unarmed people. Because most people they kill here have assault weapons in their hands.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@mott555 said in The Official Status Thread:

@magus said in The Official Status Thread:

@sockpuppet7 It's just especially weird here, because if you removed NYC, Chicago, and... I dunno, maybe LA from the country, every statistic suddenly looks really good.

"If you just remove the entire population, then we look pretty good."

Yay errors go away!

Status: Day 2 writing in vue.js: I got all the tables bound to their data, though for some reason sorting is broken.

0_1516754716265_b19eabd8-c702-4f06-920e-207e925949d2-image.png

But, the basic functionality of "Get data and display it as it's updated" is technically working.

• @lorne-kates said in The Official Status Thread:

@mott555 said in The Official Status Thread:

@magus said in The Official Status Thread:

"If you just remove the entire population, then we look pretty good."

Per capita statistics were invented so that you can compare populations of different sizes.