The Official Status Thread

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

*shrug*
    I'm sure they'll point it out if they do.

Filed under: How do you know if someone is a veganvi user?

• @Lorne_Kates said:

1-800-GO-FUCK-YOURSELF-YOU-FUCKING-IDIOT-MORON (local toll charges may apply)

I'm pretty sure that's a pay-per-minute call...

• "*p
    and
    "*yy

* is the named buffer for the clipboard on windows. Yes, they work in the console version of vim too.
    (I also use the regular named buffers a lot)

• @Polygeekery said:

Also, the people who are really in to vim or really in to bicycling are usually also the people I want to run over with my SUV.

HEY! I resemble that remark.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Are you a bicyclist and a vim user?

• I use vim over ssh on a headless Linux machine. I'd be very surprised if it could copy things to my Windows system clipboard.

• Garbage Person

WASD sells them (I only know this because I am considering buying a WASD keyboard and scrolled past this mess)

• Status: I have absolutely nothing going on in my life at all. Nothing. And yet I lack the coping mechanisms to even handle nothing,

At about 3:30 PM my depression hit me like a ton of bricks. And it was all I could do to manage the shitty commute home, the shitty grocery store errand (the woman in the express lane paid with over 100 quarters, I am not making this up), the shitty fast food I got because I don't have the energy to cook anymore (the guy in front of me in the fast food line bought over $100 of Taco Bell, I am not making this up. $100 worth of Taco Bell food is enough to feed, roughly, Idaho.)

And the worst part, I didn't lug my shitty heavy work laptop home so I can't even work from home tomorrow. I have to do the coping thing all over again. I'm all out of cope.

• Status: Just finished filming and editing 4 more episodes. Have some polls.

There are zombies and an amulet or something. Who do we help?

[poll name="vigil-whispers"]

• Vigil: A fort in a really snowy place has been attacked and might have an amulet.
    • Whispers: A fort in a really snowy place has an amulet and might get attacked.
      [/poll]

Evil space midgets have determined how to neutralize the amulet, but they don't like us very much.

[poll name="priory-whispers"]

• Priory: Do research independently.
    • Whispers: Steal the space midget research.
      [/poll]

Okay, we know how to neutralize the amulets, but we don't know where they are.

[poll name="vigil-priory"]

• Vigil: We had one but we lost it. If you come with us, we'll find it again. Or maybe there were more than one.
    • Priory: Build a machine that finds amulets using magicengineering.
      [/poll]

Which order do I join FOREVER?

:arrows:

• Garbage Person

Join the club. Although I managed to cook after my shitty grocery store errand. I burnt it, though. I burnt a fucking quesadilla. A retarded baby with leprosy and one eye can cook a quesadilla without burning it.

And $100 worth of taco bell is actually kinda heroic. I've heard legends of "We bought TWENTY DOLLARS worth of beefy crunch burritos" before (allegedly this was delivered as a sack of burritos and an equally large sack of hotsauce packets), $100 is kinda unprecedented.

• :belt_onion:

@blakeyrat said:

the woman in the express lane paid with over 100 quarters, I am not making this up

If you take longer than 1 minute in the express lane, there should be an automated system that moves you to the correct lane. As painfully as possible.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@blakeyrat said:

At about 3:30 PM my depression hit me like a ton of bricks. And it was all I could do to manage the shitty commute home, the shitty grocery store errand (the woman in the express lane paid with over 100 quarters, I am not making this up), the shitty fast food I got because I don't have the energy to cook anymore (the guy in front of me in the fast food line bought over $100 of Taco Bell, I am not making this up. $100 worth of Taco Bell food is enough to feed, roughly, Idaho.)

This sounds like an excellent standard introduction chapter to a Human-In-Equestria Fic! 😮

• @HardwareGeek said:

Status: I just got an email that the company with which I had two phone interviews wants an on-site "full round of interviews." I'm very excited; it had been almost three weeks since I'd heard from them, and I had almost given up hope.

Interview is scheduled for Friday. Get up at something like 03:00 to get to the airport for a 06:00 flight. :yawn:

Found out the ex-colleague didn't do anything to get my resume noticed (so I don't owe him a dinner); apparently, my resume was good enough to get noticed on its own merits.

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Human-In-Equestria Fic

Holy fuck do NOT WANT

@sloosecannon said:

Holy fuck do NOT WANT
    I personally would think it would be hilarious for a bit. The ponies might not though......

@HardwareGeek said:

good enough to get noticed on its own merits.
    nice!

@HardwareGeek said:

Get up at something like 03:00
    not so nice!
    Good luck!

Sorry, it's just the combination of the last two words there that really scares the hell out of me.

Equestria fics get really fucking weird. Really fucking fast.

@sloosecannon said:

Really fucking fast.
    many do indeed. The Internet is a large and strange place.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

@sloosecannon said:

fics get really fucking weird. Really fucking fast.

FTFY

• @blakeyrat said:

I have absolutely nothing going on in my life at all. Nothing. And yet I lack the coping mechanisms to even handle nothing,

A lot of things are easier to handle than having nothing going on.

@Fox said:

FTFY

Tell me about it. I once read a pokemon-Zelda crossover where Mewtwo obtained a piece of the Triforce and eventually ventured into space to battle his dark counterpart.

@blakeyrat said:

handle nothing,
    FWIW my coping mechanism for nothing going on is System.Sleep() :)

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

System.Sleep()

ITYM Thread.Sleep().

• @sloosecannon said:

If you take longer than 1 minute in the express lane, there should be an automated system that moves you to the correct lane. As painfully as possible

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@HardwareGeek said:

Interview is scheduled for Friday.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Tell me about it. I once read a pokemon-Zelda crossover where Mewtwo obtained a piece of the Triforce and eventually ventured into space to battle his dark counterpart.

That sounds like business as usual compared to some of the fanfics I've read.

• Banned

Status: I've just read my ten milliardth post. It made me think of how much time I've wasted on this forum.

• 🚽 Regular

@Eldelshell said:

Vim is like riding a bicycle

..made of razorblades. On purpose. Because it's 'character forming'.

STATUS crying!

Someone has been fucking with the whitespace settings again and git is gummed up again. So much for ignore white space settings.

• @blakeyrat said:

At about 3:30 PM my depression hit me like a ton of bricks.

Depression is treatable, you should see a doctor before it gets worse

• @fbmac said:

Depression is treatable, you should see a doctor before it gets worse

$5 says you won't find much gratitude for your advice.

• BINNED

onyx@dev1:/$ sudo du -sh
    du: cannot access ‘./run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
    du: cannot access ‘./proc/13221/task/13221/fd/4’: No such file or directory
    du: cannot access ‘./proc/13221/task/13221/fdinfo/4’: No such file or directory
    du: cannot access ‘./proc/13221/fd/4’: No such file or directory
    du: cannot access ‘./proc/13221/fdinfo/4’: No such file or directory
    385T	.

Go home du, you're drunk.

• BINNED

Status: looks over at his phone "Why the hell are you not charging?"

No extra points for guessing where which cable I plugged it into...

Filed under: Steadiest hands ever!

• Garbage Person

Status: The major highway I depend on for my commute might be closed for the rest of the week because some numbnuts damaged an overpass last night.

Unfortunately, the closed segment is part of crossing a major river, so there are very few detours on account of there being very few bridges.

The best detour (adds 20 minutes) is closed for months because they found 9-foot long cracks in the steel structure of the bridge over the river.

The second best detour (adds an hour or more) detours the highway onto a rural road (congesting it to death immediately) and through a town with a traffic light fetish.

There's a theoretical 'sneak in the back door' route that involves all sorts of tiny back roads that MIGHT allow me to bypass all the traffic at a penalty of like 9 minutes, but it only works in this case because the bridge is actually open, only there are no approach ramps from civilization.

Local traffic report: "Make sure you leave yourself a few extra minutes"
    Coworker calling me: "I've been on the road for 2 hours already."

Apparently his 2 hours have been spent getting to the START of the second best detour. Which does not bode well for that "adds an hour or more". It may take a solid 8 hours to get through.

• FoxDev

@Weng said:

It may take a solid 8 hours to get through.

"yeah, i'm just going to remote into work and work from home if that's alright with you, otherwise by the time i get in with this traffic it will be time to go home again. oh and i'm not actually asking permission here, just being polite and letting you know what's going to happen"

• Java Dev

@ben_lubar said:

I use vim over ssh on a headless Linux machine. I'd be very surprised if it could copy things to my Windows system clipboard.

I've seen it work to a linux desktop, though I don't recall the exact combination of settings required. May have involved X forwarding.

It definitely works with vim running locally in a terminal session.

• Garbage Person

Am I a bad person because I read résumés in broken Apu Thank You Come Again English?

The short, unadorned sentences (and sentence fragments, dammit) lend themselves to it and, dammit, most of them are Indians anyway.

• Status: I'm all ready for work but somehow incapable of actually moving towards the door.

• Garbage Person

Holy shit this is full of impenetrable jargon.

@ben_lubar said:

ITYM
    no, my system does not support threads! Well, not in any programmatically-accessible way in any case....

@Fox said:

sounds like business
    yeah, but at that point in time I hadn't read all that much Fanfiction, so I was like, "what, just :WTF: is happening here?!"

@Weng said:

Full of impenetrable jargon.
    :giggity:

• Status: Just had my first run-in with a helicopter parent - I usually get a lot of leeway because everyone "knows" that physics and chemistry are hard, so no one gets excited over a bad grade anyway.

But this year I'm also teaching a subject called "EDV" (direct translation would be: electronic data processing) which in reality amounts to teaching how to use Word, Excel and Powerpoint, with a smattering of common-sense computer information thrown in (no, "password123" is not a good password!).

Anyway, the first quarter of the lessons consisted of working out the good and bad sides of presentations for which I then gave them a succinct summary to follow. Then they were to create a presentation using Powerpoint while following the guidelines I laid out for them. Both the digital file and their real-world presentation thereof were to serve as a substitute for an exam. This is something allowed both by school law and our school's guidelines.

It is thus treated the same as an actual exam with almost the same rules governing them. Which means that missing the deadline is a failing grade. Missing the presentation without a doctor's certificate - automatic failing grade.

Now, I told them the deadline would be the first lesson after the holidays. Most of them made it. Some had technical problems I could reproduce (which led to a deduction of points nonetheless because preventing technical difficulties was also a topic I covered). And one told me that their presentation was not done yet.

That left me with a bit of a quandary - I didn't really want to hammer the "technical problems" guys too hard, so they got an extension. Which in turn resulted in me giving the "not done yet" girls an extension as well, just with a more severe point deduction. Due to the number of presentations, some of them had to do them next week anyway, so logistically not much of a barrier.

Come next week and both "not done yet girls" are absent (my lesson is in the first to hours of the day). One of the girls is missing the whole day (and indeed ill), the other girl appears in later lessons the same day (which I found out by talking to the other teachers).

Fast forward unto today and the first girl is able to produce a doctor's certificate. The other girl ... not so much. I'm annoyed and tell her that I thusly award her zero points. She's upset and tries to argue that her file was done by the end of last lesson.

I won't have it and tell her that I actually didn't have to give her an extension in the first place and that the real-life presentation was just an important part of the whole thing as the digital file.

She goes quiet and I think that's the end of it.

What I don't notice (due to continuing with the lessons) is that she calls her father who promptly appears after the lesson to talk to me. I tell him the same thing: The first extension was already a favor and a second extension is out of the question, considering the missing doctor's certificate. He then tries to tell me that she wasn't well for the first two hours but recovered later on - well, tough luck.

He now wants to present a backdated doctor's certificate (yeah, we won't accept that) and he also wanted to talk to the principal.

Due to a meeting, our principal, vice principal and the head of the branch were not available immediately so he had to leave again.
    Which gave me the chance to talk to them first. Let's just say that they're not inclined to give an inch either.

Seriously, if I had missed out on an exam like this, I'd have eaten crow and tried to hide it from my parents best as I could.

• Full disclosure: On every one of these polls ben keeps spamming out, I vote for what sounds the least interesting.

I did that originally. Now I just choose random options.

• BINNED

I choose the one that sounds funny.

• I always choose the fourth one.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Status Finally got around to hooking up the 3TB hard drive I bought on sale last year. It's been a "very slow process" of getting this backup machine running:

• Got the backup machine as a spare from the old job
    • Need a monitor for it, it only has VGA out. Got one from Goodwill
    • Needs a PS/2 keyboard and mouse-- okay, finally got a USB keyboard and it works
    • Windows XP is slow as poop. Ordered the wrong RAM for it. Found some spare ram in the "this is shit" pile at work. Up to 4GB now. Working
    • Uh-oh, there's only one SATA cable inside teh box. Go to computer store. Buy a cable. Hook it up
    • Hard drive not recognized. But the computer is streaming the Halloween radio station now, and I don't want to take it down to get to the BIOS

So now FINALLY I take the computer down, get to the BIOS. It recognizes the drive. Boot up. Spin click spin click spin click POST error message "cannot auto-recognize SATA primary master" whatever. Boot to XP BSOD reboot.

Update the BIOS on the motherboard, same problem.

So I check teh Intornetz. Plug in the error message. Come across thread after thread that goes like this:

👦 My new hard drive just gives me this error message
    😡 SEAGATE HARDRIVES ARE THE SUXXOR AND YOU A FUCKING FAG IDIOT FOR USING THEM LOL LINK TO ARTICLE ABOUT SEAGATE FAILURES YOU SUX GO BUY WD HARD DRIVE THEY ARE REAL HARD DRIVES!

At least four different forums, all like that. OP posts error message. People flip their shit about how much Seagates suck. There's never any actual problem solving. Great.

#SEAGATE SUX BUY REAL HARD DRIVE WESTERN DIGITAL LOL LOL

So I figure I might as well pull the drive, stuff it into an external enclose, and just be sure it isn't the PC itself. Pull, stuff, same issue-- spin click spin click spin click.

Must be DOA. How much of a warranty does Seagate give? Let me check the serial number... oh wait. Turns out I did buy a Western Digital.

Fucking dumbfuck internet. Seagate suxxors indeed.

So Status have RMA (2 year warranty), shipping it off today.

• Status: Episode 5 and the conclusion of chapter 1. Don't forget to vote in the polls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbiIG8s-vhk

• ♿ (Parody)

@loopback0 said:

I did that originally. Now I just choose random options.

Pg Dn

@Lorne_Kates said:

Spin click spin click spin click
    Well at least yours doesn't play music as it dies!

Seriously, the heads locked up (actually, I think it was also a WD drive) and in effort to free them it spunattempted to spin the platters in a manner that sounded like an inspirational tune, which had a nice drumroll at the end (rapidly whacking the heads back and forth in hopes that extra vibration would knock the platters loose, I guess).

SEAGATE SUX BUY REAL HARD DRIVE WESTERN DIGITAL LOL LOL

­

@loopback0 said:

SUX BUY REAL HARD

:giggity: