The Official Status Thread

• @hungrier North Carolina has allowed them for a while.

• @nedfodder

Note: Special characters will not be considered when determining whether the plate text is available. For example, plate
    A&3@C is the same as A3C.

Sounds like you cause some confusion with that. E.g. if someone (say, a proctologist) has the plate ASSMAN, someone else could get A$$MAN as long as AMAN isn't taken.

• @hungrier I wonder if that's just because the NCDOT website can't handle searching for special characters...

• 0_1500992643388_0792d095-eaea-464d-bb4a-e73961829487-image.png

• Status: Reminiscing. A few days back I played some more Xenoverse 2, and was entertained by how all of their cutscenes except the 2-3 good ones do absolutely everything people hated about the ones in Mighty Number 9.

• FoxDev

@magus said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: Reminiscing. A few days back I played some more Xenoverse 2, and was entertained by how all of their cutscenes except the 2-3 good ones do absolutely everything people hated about the ones in Mighty Number 9.

UNSKIPABLE CUTSCENES! :RAGE:

:TABLE_FLIP:

:HULK_SMASH:

• @accalia I like both games. Though MN9 is better as the DLC character no one played it as.

• @magus Speaking of something tangentially related, has anything happened with that Castlevania-like game that was on Kickstarter a while ago?

• @hungrier I doubt it.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Status: One of the managing partners of our big veterinary client and I were talking earlier:

👨 "Hey, I noticed something earlier, that there is no way it was not intentional."

polygeekery "What's that?"

👨 "You guys installed all those cameras at all of our locations...and not a single one takes video of the desks that you and your guys use."

polygeekery "Weird, I wonder how that happened?'

👨 "Yeah...I wonder?"

• Notification Spam Recipient

@polygeekery said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: One of the managing partners of our big veterinary client and I were talking earlier:

👨 "Hey, I noticed something earlier, that there is no way it was not intentional."

polygeekery "What's that?"

👨 "You guys installed all those cameras at all of our locations...and not a single one takes video of the desks that you and your guys use."

polygeekery "Weird, I wonder how that happened?'

👨 "Yeah...I wonder?"

Clearly nobody wants to watch the shitter.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Clearly nobody wants to watch the shitter.

Well, that is where I do my best work.

• @tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: OMFG. Windows just force rebooted while I was playing a game! I didn't think it could happen to me, but I'm flat-out floored! WTH! :angry:

I just got back from a long weekend to a "your mac hasn't been backed up for a while'. Odd, I left it on... (power up) Finishing updates... see you in 20 minutes! Well, fuck. At least MS finishes them!!!

• @cartman82 said in The Official Status Thread:

Time to uninstall some MS dev tools. Always a delightful process of wading through dozens of their crap packages.

It'll be faster to nuke/pave the OS...

There's got to be some cleanup utility for this crap.

The trick is to do it in the right order. Sometimes. Only during a blue moon. You think I joke about nuke and pave...

@tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

You probably cleared out your Windows\Installers folder, didn't you?

............. maybe?

:-P

I blame my cheap-ass boss for buying 100GB SSD-s.

Which means uninstalling almost anything will fail. Those MSIs are the uninstall scripts. (You could probably work around that by reinstalling and then uninstall)

Status: Critical malfunction detected in FemurLeft, structural integrity at 61% nominal. Damage control in progress.
    Notice: Insufficient resources available for internal triage, basic nervous reporting only available.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Status: Been converting a chunk of C++ to Python. It's going to go slower, but should be easier to deploy and that's a more important consideration as it is just a visualisation tool for a workshop. The whole app is infested with weird threading conventions that are mostly artefacts of how the original code worked, but I really can't be bothered to sort out that stuff even though the app really ought to be purely I/O-bound. Bulk of work now done, but some details in the OpenGL and UDP bindings remain to be worked out tomorrow.

In other news, my brain is trying to turn into mush. And why do some people not understand what operator precedence is?

• FoxDev

• Status: Another round of SET STATISTICS IO,TIME ON golf, woo!

Sub-status: No, it's not quite as fun as The Open.

• I can finally access Github without encountering HSTS or Certificate Algorithm errors for the first time in awhile

• Garbage Person

@raceprouk said in The Official Status Thread:

And then a few years after those first tentative steps - to the metaphorical sidewalk, we declared "This is boring, let's go shopping" and haven't gone beyond our front porch since.

• Java Dev

STATUS: Following the current government crisis in Sweden. It would make a pretty good front page story considering it got all the classic TDWTF components, and more! Incompetent management. Spineless IT security staff. Willful breaking of the law (through incompetence and ignorance). Rush job. Outsourcing to the lowest bidder. (Potential) breach of classified data. Chief responsible knowing about the security risks and doing nothing.

tl;dr: The Swedish Transportation Agency decides to outsource the running of the vehicle registry. The lowest bidder (IBM, iirc) will place the staff and servers in eastern Europe for cheapness. The registry contains classified data (national security). IT security says they can't move this data abroad, as it would be massively breaking the law. Management overrules, knowing full well they're breaking the law doing so. Responsible ministers get to know about this and choose to do nothing to stop it. The story ends up going public. Crisis is a fact.

@weng said in The Official Status Thread:

@raceprouk said in The Official Status Thread:

And then a few years after those first tentative steps - to the metaphorical sidewalk, we declared "This is boring, let's go shopping" and haven't gone beyond our front porch since.

Well, good! They would have been disappointed when they found out it was just a huge painted wall in the distance...

Status: apparently the PS3 controller died and won't charge for nothing. We're only using the controller because the IR-Controller decided it doesn't want to power on a few months ago.

FFS it's not rocket science! How hard can it be to make would solid-state electronics that are so simple but apparently can't work for more than a year?!?!?

• @atazhaia Finally! The US, Russia and China will have an edge over that incredibly power and feared Swedish military!

... seriously though that is really fucked up. Even Chris Christie wouldn't pull that shit.

• BINNED

Status: So! The re-org took a new spin! Someone did a tree-cutting algorithm to the already resized org, only they cut the root and reparented the branches to a new org. The boss and his directs are moved to work in another capacity. We minions are moved to another org. This was the best news since last month. The new org is more research-y and established, but at the same time they have a great product they already shipped. A new start with some frighteningly competent group is exciting and fresh and the best part is we move offices too, so I wont have to come here and see empty offices of my previous colleagues.

• @dse We got fused in a similar way recently, but nothing really changed at all at the location I'm in.

• area_pol

@dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

Been converting a chunk of C++ to Python

You can make an easy interface between Python and C++ with http://cython.org/

• Status: If you performance tune a stored procedure by removing an unnecessary join from one of its UPDATE queries, only it turns out the join was actually necessary because the temp table that had the duplicated column wasn't populating the column with the right values because the original developer didn't know that INSERT INTO ... SELECT only cares about column order and not column names... and the result of the process is that the procedure is no longer UPDATEing the correct record... whose bug is it anyway?

0_1501092549398_0029c63a-975d-4893-80bc-a4f0feecf2ba-image.png

Status: Was wondering why our server provisioning was programmed to occur one at a time, so I wrapped it up into an async task spawner thing:

List<Task> CreateVMTaskList = new List<Task>();
                for (int index = 0; CountDifference > 0 || TotalMachineCount < MinimumNeededMachines;)
                {
                    CountDifference--; MinimumNeededMachines--;
                    CreateVMTaskList.Add(Task.Run(() => CreateVM(new VirtualMachineBuildDTO(aVMBuild), index++)));
                }
                await Task.WhenAll(CreateVMTaskList);

Where CreateVM is taking in a (copy of) the template VM Build info, and the second parameter was the offset to the name (an attempt to prevent duplicate VM names I guess, since you can't have two objects with the same name obs).

Didn't work.

Any why?

string DTime = DateTime.UtcNow.AddMilliseconds(offset).ToString("ddHHmmssff") + "-" + aVMBuild.Id;
                string VMName = "MS-" + DTime + "-VM";

TDEMSYRWTFBBQOMG!!!! :angry:

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@adynathos said in The Official Status Thread:

True… but all the libraries I needed had already been ported. Actually, some of them were ported — badly — in the other direction and not really maintained, which is one of the reasons I've converted the app to Python…

• Status: All our sites have basically no internet connection beyond Skype, Teams, and our remote VMs. No one knows why or when things will be normal again.

• @magus
    The actual Internet connection is down, but you also have Azure Express Route so the dedicated connection to Azure is up?

• @izzion I'm guessing its a DNS thing, since we connect to these VMs with a direct IP.

• BINNED

@adynathos said in The Official Status Thread:

@dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

Been converting a chunk of C++ to Python

I use that to go the other way round. Convert Python to C[++]. Then testing/using everything in Python.

• Well, I got rid of the +... 0_1501101448700_0b26b0b0-a886-47de-a59c-c04f59cb95ea-image.png

• @izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

whose bug is it anyway?

where requirements are made up and the bugs don't matter?

• @arantor
    I was going to go for "... and performance doesn't matter". But that works too.

• @izzion I prefer your finisher.

• @chaostheeternal said in The Official Status Thread:

NieR: Automata

Well, something I learned tonight, when the game says it doesn't autosave, that means you need to manually save like 3 or 4 times an hour otherwise you can lose hours of progress when the game crashes with no warning.

Status: Not enthused enough to try playing more NieR tonight.

Status: apparently voice services are broken unexpectedly. Great...

• @chaostheeternal said in The Official Status Thread:

@chaostheeternal said in The Official Status Thread:

NieR: Automata

Well, something I learned tonight, when the game says it doesn't autosave, that means you need to manually save like 3 or 4 times an hour otherwise you can lose hours of progress when the game crashes with no warning.

Status: Not enthused enough to try playing more NieR tonight.

You should try Dark Souls. It autosaves every time you press any button.

• Goddamned out of date libraries I can't upgrade.

I'm probably going to have to resort to a nasty hack to do a thing I know is supported in later versions of Spring Batch.

• @blakeyrat said in The Official Status Thread:

@atazhaia Finally! The US, Russia and China will have an edge over that incredibly power and feared Swedish military!

Small countries trying to pretend their "military" and "national security" efforts matter are so cute.

Small countries trying to pretend their "military" and "national security" efforts matter are so cute.

Small countries need to be able to protect themselves at least from other small countries

@atazhaia said in The Official Status Thread:

government crisis in Sweden

That's a very FWP crisis

• Status: Exposed the next performance pain point while testing the performance improvements for the current pain point.

• @wharrgarbl said in The Official Status Thread:

Small countries need to be able to protect themselves at least from other small countries

As long as Americans are keeping reigns, it's all cool. We get to relax and spend our money on healthcare and pensions.

• @wharrgarbl said in The Official Status Thread:

Sounds like Sweden's main enemy at the moment is its own incompetent government.

• Status: Not sure if this even belongs here. Writing this partially to make sense of everything. May also ramble a bit or be incoherent - more of a stream of consciousness. Maybe someone even has a pointer or advice, I don't know.

Anyway, girlfriend decided to call it quits. Not sure how to describe my current mood best - I guess "shellshocked with a side of anger" describes it best. And I honestly didn't see it coming - I mean, with 20/20 hindsight I could point to some serious indicators (see below) but as our relationship was still fairly fresh (bit more than 3 months), I attributed those grumblings to the "still getting to know each other phase". It wasn't as if she was berating me for hours, just something where she said: "I'd like this better instead of this", I could see her point and agreed and actually did it differently.
    There were other issues which she described openly and upon which I remarked that I had no problem working with those (and honestly meant it).

Just to give you an inkling of how suddenly this came - this morning we woke up (I slept over because I helped her with some construction work, no shenanigans at this point, however), I made breakfast and she commented on how nice it was to come down to a prepared table. Did some more work where she was stating how much she liked me helping her, did a short walk with a friend and her dog, after which I prepared dinner which she also liked. She also looked into her calendar and commented positively on the weekend trip into the mountains we were supposed to take in 3 weeks.
    Then we watched a movie together (during which I noticed that she didn't snuggle in as usual) after which she decided to drop this bombshell.

I'm still confused on what exactly went wrong as she wasn't really clear on that point (that's about par for the course for me, though, I always get this unhelpful "It's not you it's me" or "I simply don't love you anymore"). What kind of angers me were some of the clearer points which were attributed to things like "moving too fast" - where I simply don't see what I myself could have done differently. After all, it was her idea that I sleep over or that I help her with the construction work (nothing major). I simply said "okay" because, after all, she had expressly stated how much she liked the idea of waking up next to someone and things like that. And helping her with the constructions? Agreeing to that is kind of a given simply because a) you don't say "no" to something like that (if any other friend asked me to help I'd also agree to such work) and b) it's a mixture of "it's a bit of a challenge but I could learn something and for everything I don't know, there are tutorials on YouTube (which there actually are and which really did help in a number of ways)"

So there's that. Then there's the part where I don't know if that's my anger or hurt pride talking which wants to shift the blame to her at this point. She might have a point, though, that we were not that compatible.
    For instance, she complained that we had yet to really get to know each other. That may be true on her part but I'm at least a semi-capable listener (save for the obvious blindspots, relationship-wise, and only in face-to-face conversations), I'm good at discerning likes and dislikes, mental capabilities and blindspots, things like that. Thus I dare say that I know her at least moderately well at this point.
    Looking back, her complaint of not really knowing me stems from the fact that she didn't listen half as well - if she began a train of thought, she'd follow it and it was a bit difficult to get a word in to give my perspective. Which reminds me of the advice of my late grandmother years back: "Don't always talk solely about yourself or your opinions. Get her opinion on something and talk about that together."
    I think that's advice which would suit her well - however, I'll be damned before I openly say something like that to her (or anything else I'm detailing here).
    After all, if you don't ask questions or listen to someone you'll have a hard time getting to know his or her mind.
    I also have this trait (which my colleagues know all too well) that if I learn of something fascinating (to me, at least) I'll want to talk/discuss about that how cool this is or what implications it has. However, when someone scoffs at my exclamation of "Did you know that X and Y are related issues?" and then proceeds to talk about her stuff, it kind of stings a bit. I mean, I also weren't all that keen on everything she talked about but I would ask questions and try to engage the topic. That was missing on her end almost completely.

Yeah. That's kind of the thing, ain't it? You don't get to complain about "not knowing someone" when you don't listen.

But then there's the last part - which I mentioned above by "openly described issues". By that I don't mean that she's bipolar or something. But she had some issues with relationships in the past and I responded by telling her that I don't do stupid stuff and am someone you can rely on.
    Later on I heard some more details which, however, might explain a lot of what happened about five years ago. I won't go into those details but let's just say that I would not be surprised if she suffered from some kind of (mild) PTSD (I'm not a shrink and I know about the dangers of thus diagnosing someone, particularly in my position, but when I heard her story, this term leapt into my mind immediately). Some of the pointers are there, others I could only discern if I had asked about it - for instance, she has a pretty serious problem with getting sleep (however, her habits of going to sleep are not helpful). She also described some character changes like "being more friendly in the past".
    I wasn't able to even hint at this because she earlier made it clear that she didn't think much of shrinks. And other advice of mine like: "The blue light of a screen isn't that good an idea before going to sleep." wasn't met with such a big credulousness either.

Looking back on what I just wrote I think the whole endeavour only had a small chance of succeeding. I'm not sure what she's looking for but I'm certainly not it. And maybe it really is my hurt pride talking but I'm taking from this that my problems were only a minor contributor here. I could also be accused of being "too nice a guy" or a "pushover" (yes, really. You may scoff now and comment sarcastically from the peanut gallery). It also helps my ego that her friends liked me, as did her daughter (in fact it happened before that the mothers of my previous girlfriends berated said girlfriends for letting me go. Yes, plural. And no, of course that did not help ;) )

Don't know what else to write. Save: Godfuckingdamnit.