How to reboot in Windows Server 2012

• @dhromed said:

Edit - PJH. Cogratulations - you've won a INB4 Fail badge!

I didn't even know there was a badger for that. Winning!

• Brand new, made literally just for you.

But IMO the clock on the badge should be red, not green.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dhromed said:

I didn't even know there was a badger for that. Winning!

At the time of the post, there wasn't such a badger. However an eager reader suggested it outside of the normal channel for badger suggestions and it seemed novel enough to be as addition to an existing set of badgers.

Is the puke green color of the badger to your liking?

Edit - PJH: Correcting durnken speeling

• @abarker this is not the likes thread, stop spamming likes at me!

• Dammit PJH.

Wow, this topic is dancing up and down. Ajax style. This must be the edge of a page?

Wot?

• Huh? I only have a handful of likes here.

@abarker said:

Huh? I only have a handful of likes here.

Say something people might like then?

• @PJH said:

Say something people might like then?

See the post I was replying to.

Also, this

• I saw the three likes! Also, fun fact,it appears the notification can be viewed and go away if the person removes the like. Wonder if it works for mentions too?

• Your word against Dicsourse's ... of course, people will probably believe you.

• @abarker said:

Your word against Dicsourse's, ... of course, people will probably believe you.

<!--My like script did accidentally target the wrong page for a moment. All back under control.-->

• BINNED

Expanding and then collapsing that quote is so freaking broken...

It's a GIF btw. Click after @system fucks with it because it will probably break the preview.

• @Matches said:

So is quoting the quote.

<object data="data:text/html;base64,PHNjcmlwdD5hbGVydCgiSGVsbG8iKTs8L3NjcmlwdD4="></object>

<a href="data:text/html;charset=utf-7;base64,PGh0bWw+DQo8aGV
    hZD4NCjx0aXRsZT5XZWxjb21lITwvdGl0bGU+DQo8L2hlYWQ+DQ
    o8Ym9keT4NCitBRHctc2NyaXB0K0FENC1hbGVydCgiSGV5IEl0c
    yBYU1MiKStBRHNBUEEtL3NjcmlwdCtBRDQtDQo8L2JvZHk+DQo8L2h0bWw+DQo= "width="70" height="38" alt="image embedded using base64 encoding!">Blah

<a href="HNjcmlwdD5hbGVydCgiSGVsbG8iKTs8L3NjcmlwdD4"width="70" height="38" alt="image embedded using base64 encoding!">Blah

• @dhromed said:

I'm not operating my system with a game controller.

I'm going to map my game controller to the proper keystrokes and use it to code assembly.

• Funny story, that won't be as funny in the TL;DR; version:

I set one of my ex-girlfriends machines up with v-joy <Not that v, dumbass.> and a gamepad which ended up working a lot better than mouse and keyboard for her old as fuck machine. Basically it because 'Play netflix gamepad'

• @PJH said:

Is the puke green color of the badger to your likink?

I AM QUITE PLEASED

• @blakeyrat said:

I know Linux people always hate having GUIs on their servers, but I figure that's because:

If I use X on the machine at work it makes it easier to administer (kinda), but it also causes a memory leak which eventually screws up the server, but instead of fixing that leak we just kill X and SSH into it instead.

• I just joined this website because I find myself saying WTF everyday to many things. I read through the responses and the back and forth on this thread and found myself laughing at the replies, and the back and forth jabbing, all in good fun in my mind. I like the response by the person that said "Getting Popcorn" to sit back and watch the "fight" Great entertainment!

My two cents on rebooting Windows 2012 verses UNIX/LINUX is that yes, UNIX may seem like 1976, but the great thing about it is your knowledge carries forward. Juxtapose this with Microsofts need to re-arrange every Fing thing in all there software, in a way that only makes sense to some marketing minion, requiring a major hit on business productivity to find simple tasks like rebooting the Fing server. I like that vi works the same on a lot of different flavors of UNIX/Linux. I like that I can do an init 0 and reboot almost any UNIX/Linux server. I hate that I have to look for the reboot on new versions of Windows. Come the F on Microsoft. Stop trying to make your OS Stupid proof, and don't fix what isn't broken.

When you find yourself saying WTF, it usually means its a bad design.

D.

• @WTFeveryday said:

My two cents on rebooting Windows 2012 verses UNIX/LINUX is that yes, UNIX may seem like 1976, but the great thing about it is your knowledge carries forward.

Yeah but if you don't have that knowledge, Unix will just sit there and kick you in the nuts instead of politely and patiently explaining it to you.

@WTFeveryday said:

Juxtapose this with Microsofts need to re-arrange every Fing thing in all there software,

Yeah, there happens to be this thing called "improvement", "evolution", etc. Those things require change. Things can't ever get better if they don't ever change. That's why Linux is and always will be shit.

Nobody's saying this particular change is great, or going to revolutionize the world, but it does show that at least Microsoft gives a shit and is trying.

@WTFeveryday said:

I like that vi works the same on a lot of different flavors of UNIX/Linux.

Right; it's equally unusable, unfriendly, and outright hostile on all of them.

@WTFeveryday said:

Stop trying to make your OS Stupid proof, and don't fix what isn't broken.

People who don't know computers well aren't stupid, they're uneducated. The nice things about computers is that well-designed ones can actually teach their users as they're being used.

• @WTFeveryday said:

vi works the same on a lot of different flavors of UNIX/Linux

Windows version:
    Notepad works the same on a lot of different flavors of Windows

Your point is?

I remember when Notepad was a 16-bit executable when most of the rest of Windows was 32-bit. I've got this vague feeling that it ran into problems whenever the file went over 32kB in size, but I might be wrong and it might've been 64kB. My point still stands: it was horribly limiting even in Windows 3.1 (where at least the restrictions were somewhat reasonable).

vi has been coping reasonably with files much larger than that for a very long time indeed.

• Right; but Notepad was written as a demo/how-to on using the OS's text control. It wasn't ever intended to be used as a serious text editor.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Yeah but if you don't have that knowledge, Unix will just sit there and kick you in the nuts instead of politely and patiently explaining it to you.

Kind of like sitting in front of Windows when you don't know how it works.

@blakeyrat said:

Yeah, there happens to be this thing called "improvement", "evolution", etc. Those things require change. Things can't ever get better if they don't ever change. That's why Linux is and always will be shit.

I can't decide what is my favorite thing about this passage. Aside from how obviously wrong it is, I'd probably have to go with how you started a different thread that was all about stuff changing. What's the opposite of rankle, again?

@blakeyrat said:

Right; but Notepad was written as a demo/how-to on using the OS's text control. It wasn't ever intended to be used as a serious text editor.

But lots of people still used it as such anyway. It was always available. It was the default for simple text files. Apart from the annoying size limit, it was very simple and did what it did and just did that, pretty quickly too. There's quite a bit of virtue in all that, particularly for people who don't deal with text files very often.

When the size limit went (with its transition to being a 32-bit application) it was a good thing. If only MS had made it able to handle Unix line endings too — just for reading would have been enough — then it would have been non-annoying for almost all basic text work.

• @boomzilla said:

Kind of like sitting in front of Windows when you don't know how it works.

Exactly, and also exactly this industry needs to improve on usability all-around.

@boomzilla said:

I'd probably have to go with how you started a different thread that was all about stuff changing.

Which one?

• I cant even find the power button through remote desktop. My workflow it

1. Pop up the big blue screen by mousing over the corner
    2. type restart
    3. click the power button
    4. shutdown
    5. select shutdown/restart action

• ♿ (Parody)

• That thread was about making fun of Linux developers protesting any kind of change kicking and screaming like infants.

But yes you are technically correct. Linux is improving; it's just improving too slow to ever catch-up to OS X or Windows. That exact thread is about upgrading Linux to be on-par with features Windows implemented in like 1995.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

That thread was about making fun of Linux developers protesting any kind of change kicking and screaming like infants.

Except for the ones making the change, of course. Not like people don't bitch and moan about things in Windows that change. This thread, for instance.

@blakeyrat said:

That exact thread is about upgrading Linux to be on-par with features Windows implemented in like 1995.

Yes, different projects / companies / etc have different priorities. But I'll accept this all as an admission that you were too rankled to post coherently.

• @boomzilla said:

But I'll accept this all as an admission that you were too rankled to post coherently.

My rankleometer is firmly at zero.

• UNIX and Windows (Since NT 4.0) are both great OS's. They both continue to improve, and move into new areas, and really, an OS is an OS, and they all do the same thing, but just have different names for each function and sub-components (e.g. Windows has Services and UNIX has Deamons; they booth boot from a kernal; they both have certain scripts/programs that run at prescribed sequences once the kernal is loaded).

Both UNIX and Windows are converging to the same place. UNIX has more GUI Administration tools being added all the time, and Windows has added scripting and CLI over the years. I don't mind change. Anyone who doesn't like change shouldn't be in the Computer Science industry. Windows 8.1/Windows 2012 GUI was a terrible UI design. MS made a horrible mistake in trying to make Windows into IOS and seemed to forget that a laptop is not an ipod. But, aside from that mistake, I think it is unreasonable to make such radical changes in UI without radical benefit. MS has the tendency to do this. Look at Office. Companies hold off upgrading because the cost benefit ratio's aren't there for them. They tend to stay on say Office 2003, and ignore two full releases of Office before upgrading, because they know it disrupts established business processes (software too), and is a hit on productivity while everyone learns the new interface.

There can be progress, without radical changes. I think IOS from V6 to V8 is a good example of this. It has great discoverability, and new features are usually easy to learn and immediately add to your productivity.

Also, for many years UNIX was much more reliable than Windows. I've had UNIX servers which did all the heavy, critical work for a company I worked for with up-times of 365 days or more in the days when Windows 2000 and 2003 couldn't come close (but I still think W2Kx were good OS's). Windows has gotten much more reliable, I give MS lots of credit for continual improvement.

But, when things are moved around and a new version slapped on it, its hard to see the value in it. I find myself saying WTF a lot. If you don't know how to do something in UNIX, all you have to do is learn how to use the man pages (man stands for manual, and it is the UNIX help system). You don't have to read the whole man page. You scan for what you need. They are a big help. I know the commands are cryptic, with all the switches, but you memorize them if you are using them everyday, and only occasionally need to look at a man page.

Another thing I hate about Windows is they hide everything. Task Manager doesn't seem to show all the processes. In UNIX, the ps command shows all and you can kill off the bad process and the OS keeps rolling on. In Windows, if the system is slow, its sometimes hard to identify what is wrong. You know something is hogging RAM or CPU cycles, but TaskManager shows the system at 99% idle. Major BS.

I'm not here to be in a back and forth about which system is better. I've used both, and have liked both for many years. I just wish MS would stop moving completely rearranging the UI so much. The worst thing is when I jump on the computer and say "where the hell is this or that" and I have to go on a eater egg hunt just to something routine.

Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 was a revolution, and for good reason. Windows NT4.0 was a large improvement over W95, and basically all the Windows that followed (except Millenium and Vista) were incremental improvements upon the predecessor. Windows 7 was so/so. Reliability improved, but to me, somethings were not "better", just different. Windows 8 was a UI disaster and so was 2012, which is why they made corrections to go back to some of the features of the prior OS. It's all interesting to watch and participate in. The market and the people will vote with there money. I hear Windows 10 (they are skipping 9) is going to be great.

• ♿ (Parody)

@WTFeveryday said:

There can be progress, without radical changes.

Not since 1971!

• @blakeyrat said:

Nobody's saying this particular change is great, or going to revolutionize the world, but it does show that at least Microsoft gives a shit and is trying.

They have a funny way of showing it sometimes.

@blakeyrat said:

People who don't know computers well aren't stupid, they're uneducated. The nice things about computers is that well-designed ones can actually teach their users as they're being used.

+1, because a like isn't enough.

@Matches said:

I cant even find the power button through remote desktop. My workflow it

Pop up the big blue screen by mousing over the corner
    type restart
    click the power button
    shutdown
    select shutdown/restart action

Because, hey - you wouldn't want to accidentally shut down/reboot the server, right? Must add more steps...

@WTFeveryday said:

Windows 8.1/Windows 2012 GUI was a terrible UI design. MS made a horrible mistake in trying to make Windows into IOS and seemed to forget that a laptop is not an ipod.

And servers, at least these days, are not remotely similar to iPads either. Perhaps some day.

@WTFeveryday said:

Also, for many years UNIX was much more reliable than Windows. I've had UNIX servers which did all the heavy, critical work for a company I worked for with up-times of 365 days or more in the days when Windows 2000 and 2003 couldn't come close (but I still think W2Kx were good OS's).

IIRC, our Netware 4.11 server reached "Days Uptime: 1173" before it needed a reboot - and that was because we were moving it into a newly-built server room. Patching things like drivers were done while the OS was running & didn't require a restart (but did interrupt network connectivity, obviously). I miss that OS series.

@WTFeveryday said:

Windows 7 was so/so.

I liken Windows 7 as having the compatibility and reliability we've come to expect from XP with the (much needed but badly introduced/communicated) security in Vista. XP lasted as long as it did because Vista failed badly. I expect Windows 7 to do well like XP did, as 8.x is nothing to sneeze at (agree with you on reasons here: ok on tablet, bad on laptop/server.)

The pattern I see is this:

Win 3.11 - good
    95 - broken
    98 - reasonably good
    ME - broken (WTF did you do to my DOS prompt?!?!)
    NT 4.0 - good
    2000 - meh; interface changes in admin tools required to handle new Active Directory infrastructure, so I can accept the benefits outweigh the risks
    XP - awesome
    Vista - broken; security enhancements needed, but poorly introduced/communicated to the industry, impeding adoption
    7 - really good
    8.x - mixed

Any guess as to how 10 will be based on the above?

• FoxDev

@redwizard said:

Any guess as to how 10 will be based on the above?

if the pattern continues and my experience with the tech preview is any indication....

it should be quite nice actually. ;-)

Same domain? Can you not just do this from your machine:

[code]shutdown /r /m \[remote_server_name] /t 0[/code]

But they still don't seem to have figured out how to maximise Command Prompt / Powershell by just pressing the Maximise button and having a full screen window.

Putty's got this right for fucking years, it can't be that hard to work out, Microsoft!

Oh, and also make Remote Desktop capable of coping with resolution changes more easily.

• FoxDev

well command prompt is legacy and is actually constrained to a set number of columns. goes all the way back to Win... i think 3.11? legacy code, legacy problems i'll give windows a by on that one

never really used powershell so i don't know if it suffers from the same problem. if it does then that is a ding because powershell is way newer!

and MSTSC has always been a bit weird. i'd also like to see proper support for multimon.

so 10 will have a few warts. that's to be expected. ;-)

@accalia said:

so 10 will have a few warts. that's to be expected.

Not when they've been there since at least Windows XP*. cmd/powershell.exe not going fullscreen after pressing maximise? No excuse for that IMHO. I can change the column count, it's not very fixed, but it's stil a PITA. mstsc.exe not being able to cope with resolution changes (including what happens when you have two monitors with different resolutions and move it between them)? The same. Fucking silly.
    @accalia said:

well command prompt is legacy and is actually constrained to a set number of columns. goes all the way back to Win... i think 3.11? legacy code, legacy problems i'll give windows a by on that one

never really used powershell so i don't know if it suffers from the same problem. if it does then that is a ding because powershell is way newer!

Powershell is constrained in exactly the same way as cmd because it's rendered in the same style of window. Column count is a manual option without a real maximise. There's still no excuse.

* the earliest I can easily confirm it on since I still have a Windows XP desktop alongside my Windows 7 desktop & laptop.

• I still say that they knew exactly what they were doing with 8. It had wonderful features that people often ignore so they can complain about not being able to turn their pc off for the night, but Microsoft knew two things:

1. Everyone expects every other Microsoft release to be awful
    2. Mobile is here

From that, they knew that they had some freedom. They could go too far, and many people would just shake their heads.

Now they know what they need to know about mobile interfaces, and can work on another 'savior' release.

• Depends entirely on how you classify amazon aws.

• @loopback0 said:

Powershell is constrained in exactly the same way as cmd because it's rendered in the same style of window.
    You're using the wrong shortcut. Try launching the one with "ISE" on the end.