Remote printing question

• My company sells things on one of our websites and I was wondering if it is possible to have a sale automatically print to our warehouse printer.  So, if someone in Florida makes a purchase, rather than us having to check our own webapp that shows us the day's transactions, can I set it up so that each transaction prints to a printer in my office?

If there is a coding solution, that'd be fantastic, but I'm assuming it will take additional hardware and money to do this.

Any help is appreciated. 

• ♿ (Parody)

Simple Solution: Service that runs on a warehouse server that periodically checks http://yourcompany.com/getNewOrders?afterDate=$LASTCHECK

If results are returned by URL, send to printer. Otherwise, don't.

• Can't say that I understand what you're asking. Does the web app run on your own server or a web host? Is it your own app or a purchased product? What language?

The little details help. :) 

• There are a few options to solve this particular problem

I'm not sure what type of environment you are on so i'll keep it generic

1. A service or a cronjob on the server with the printer which periodically polls the database or a webservice to see if there are new jobs and then prints them

2. A webservice on the server with the printer which gets called by you web app when an order is made, sending in the file or a url or a db id or something so the print server gets a copy of the file.

In terms of the actual printing i think a quick google would reveal how to do it, if it's word docs you need to print i think you need to have word on the server with the printer and instantiate word or something nasty like that and in *nix i'm sure there would be some shell command you could exec to send a file to the printer

• in *nix all you have to do is myFile | lpr in perl. 

• [quote user="ItsAllGeekToMe"]

My company sells things on one of our websites and I was wondering if it is possible to have a sale automatically print to our warehouse printer.  So, if someone in Florida makes a purchase, rather than us having to check our own webapp that shows us the day's transactions, can I set it up so that each transaction prints to a printer in my office?

If there is a coding solution, that'd be fantastic, but I'm assuming it will take additional hardware and money to do this.

Any help is appreciated. 

[/quote]

I would wonder why you want to automatically print a sale on your werehouse printer. Sales can get pretty big, espically those spinikas they use on yotts. Are sure the priner is up to the task?

As for remote printing, place your remote on a table with a wooden backgound and take a photo.....

• Network print servers have been invented about a decade or two ago. Anyway, I'm not sure that what you want is what you need.