Large post consisting entirely of . breaks preview

• Banned

@tufty said:

It's not Ruby.

Yes, it is v8, so I guess it is Irregexp unless v8 changed again since 2009.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@tufty said:

It's not Ruby. The preview pane is done in Javascript, and the server side is done by exec-ing that same javascript server side, in a vain attempt to have the two arsers produce the same markup.

I stand sit corrected. Still probably a stack-model evaluation engine though, which was my key point. Fully automata-theoretic engines don't have that problem (making up for it with others, natch…)

@Matches said:

Disable preview pane checkbox

Workaround: use the mobile version of the site temporarily.

• @mott555 said:

So JavaScript, running on modern 4.0 GHz quad-core systems, can emulate a 30 MHz CPU from 30 years ago.

jsLinux actually emulates a Pentium MMX, but it's not a PC emulator (it emulates an embedded system, which makes it easier to run in browser).
    But there are other emulators written in Javascript, which emulate real machines:
    Atari ST
    x86
    Amiga
    DOSBox
    Gameboy

• Are there any JavaScript PC emulators that can run a browser?

• DOSBox should be able to run Windows 3.11, which runs several browsers. Only problem is that you don't have network emulation in these emulators.

• I want at least HTTP so I can run the JavaScript emulator in itself.

• There are DOS browsers out there too, complete with a TCP/IP stack in DOS. Arachne comes to mind but I could be wrong.

• But could you emulate the browser inside itself?

• Right, I forgot about Arachne, and I used it briefly.

• Did Discourse resize that image?

• BINNED

It's a dos browser ... screens where not that big in that era.

• @ben_lubar said:

Did Discourse resize that image?
    Probably. The original is 1024x768.

• Let's try a onebox:

• It was supposed to onebox, but didn't for some reason.

• @sam is there anything in the logs about a reason @system didn't download the image?

• BINNED

@ender said:

It was supposed to onebox, but didn't for some reason.

I think you need to add a newline. From what I can see in the raw output, you didn't.

Filed under: TRWTF is Markdown

• @ben_lubar said:

@sam is there anything in the logs about a reason @system didn't download the image?
    I'm guessing it's too large?

@Onyx said:

I think you need to add a newline. From what I can see in the raw output, you didn't.
    It needs two newlines? The preview window certainly showed it oneboxing with only one.

• BINNED

@ender said:

It needs two newlines? The preview window certainly showed it oneboxing with only one.

One should do it, I think. If preview showed it oneboxing than there might be something else wrong. So far the preview was consistent for me on the onebox front.

• BINNED

@ender said:

it's too large?

That's what you wished she said!

• Bug report: middle click on the numbers in circles. The number goes up and nothing else happens.

• @ben_lubar said:

Bug report: middle click on the numbers in circles. The number goes up and nothing else happens.

It opens the link for me. But right-clicking the number also increases it.

This post is deleted!

• @ender said:

But right-clicking the number also increases it.

Shift-clicking is what does it for me (chrome on mac)

However, it only updates the number, not the link's title attribute, and only locally - reloading the page takes you back to where you were (beyond, I think, one click that is taken into account).

• @ender said:

I'm guessing it's too large?

You're right. The GIF is ~7MB and Discourse only allow/download images up to 2MB by default.

• BINNED

Missing from the FAQ:

###Dear $deity WHY?

• Banned

Giving it a shot in 3..2..1

• Banned

I just fixed this ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Banned

Not the same thing reported, I can confirm a bunch of "tall" periods definitely causes noticeable JS unhappiness and slowdowns, though in Chrome it does not lock me out of the topic.

Conclusion: Firefox sucks.

• Banned

I tested this and fixed this.

There is one fiendishly atrocious bug though.

TRWTF is that we allow people to enter more than 32000 chars on the client and then reject it.

At least Stack Overflow has a somewhat sane error:

Conclusion: We suck.

• Banned

OK, so you can't post because your post is 32,001 chars. So you split it into two posts, or you edit your post to be less than 32,000 chars.

Not like we delete any content over 32k chars. That'd be bad. That'd be traumatic. But being told "hey, post too long, try again" after you submit, is that really the end of the world?

How common is it to have posts over 32k? How many do we have here, or anywhere else, that even approach that size? Is this urgent?

That Stack Overflow error was added several years into development. How many years have we been developing Discourse?

• Banned

We could argue about this all day, or I could just change it so our error message is not deranged.

• Banned

I am all for improved copy; I thought you were proposing a dynamic check on the client at the moment that 32,001th character is typed.

• Banned

dynamic check is high risk, post v1.

• Banned