Editing a post to unhide it after being flagged

• BINNED

Continuing the discussion from The Official "Likes" Thread:

@codinghorror said:

@PJH said:
    how can I unflag the post at http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/the-official-likes-thread/1000/3?u=pjh and display it to non-staff again?

It does not look hidden to me at the moment. But basically, if a post is hidden through flagging, you can just disagree with the flags by clicking the "Disagree" button. That will unhide the post.

If the user edits their post, that will also unhide it. This is explained in the PM they get.

(Also, I think there is a bug where if you delete and then undelete a post, it removes all the likes.)

Can we get some clarification on the editing bit? This is the post that confuses me (note it's not the same one @PJH refers to but a later test to which @codinghorror didn't respond):

@Onyx said:

Genuine +1 on this one.

Here, have this one as a victim. In the interest of being controlled, I propose every person that does it to announce what they did.

This post is now edited because I was a bad boy

**This edit is being made 10 minutes after receiving a notification from @PaulaBean, as per Discourse's "ago" timer.

I edited the post after getting a notification that it was hidden, both within 5ish minutes from the notification, and 10 minutes after notification. Neither edit triggered the post unhiding.

@Onyx said:

@PJH said:
    10 minutes after last edit, rather than 10 minutes after being flagged?

Doesn't make much sense, since it could be hours or days until the post gets 3 flags.

Maybe there's some arbitrary mechanism that checks diffs and my post is still too similar? Does seem to be the Discourse way™

Edit: paging @sam as well.

• @Onyx said:

Edit: paging @sam as well.

@mikeTheLiar

• Banned

Yep confirmed broken / regression @eviltrout on try.discourse.org.

1. The edit option shouldn't appear (or at least be blocked) until the 10 minute "cooling off" timeout expires since flag threshold met.

2. Editing should unhide the post, but doesn't seem to at the moment.

It is unclear if #2 is happening because #1 is not being enforced or what. Let me test a bit more on try.discourse.org

edit: it is indeed #1.

If you actually wait 10 minutes (from the time the PM was sent) to edit, everything works fine. If you don't.. your edit has no effect. Even worse, future edits also fail to unhide your hidden post.

Filed under: That's what you get for editing too early

• BINNED

@codinghorror said:

Filed under: That's what you get for editing too early

If a computer lets me do something I expect it to end without consequences! You're doing it wrong!

Filed under: blakeyrant, # rm -rf /

• Banned

@codinghorror said:

The edit option shouldn't appear (or at least be blocked) until the 10 minute "cooling off" timeout expires since flag threshold met.

This was oddly never implemented! I traced it back to our first public commit and the text was there, but no code to lock it to 10 minutes. I added support for this in master.

I suspect the bug was not the 10 minute window, but that if a post reaches the threshold twice you cannot edit it to unhide it. It seems to me like this behaviour is intentional so we should discuss it before I remove it. It is strange that they get an email that says to edit it even though it will have no effect.

• @eviltrout said:

if a post reaches the threshold twice you cannot edit it to unhide it

That sounds like a good idea.

@eviltrout said:

before I remove it

Should not be removed.

• Banned

Yes, this fix is now deployed, though it's unclear if my repro was actually a repro.. the only fail case was indeed when a post was hidden twice.

Anyway, here are the changes:

1. The 10 minute "cooldown" after a post is hidden, before editing is allowed, is now functional. You as the owner of the post can't edit for 10 minutes after the post is hidden.

2. There is a "View hidden content" option on hidden posts for registered users. So if you want to see what was hidden, to verify that the men in black masks aren't taking people away for no reason, you can do that now.

There's still a wee bit of an issue when the first post is hidden, as the topic is made invisible at that point.. you can't have a topic with no "head". Of course you can still get to hidden topics, they are only removed from the topic lists, not deleted from the site or anything. You guys may want to experiment with that as well and see what you think.

• BINNED

I'd like this, but I ran out of hearts.