Today is Friday, the 13th

• @mikeTheLiar said:

Not like I was at a client visit or anything.

@faoileag said:
    Bah, @mikeTheLiar wouldn't be so stupid to use an email address his mobile keeps polling for registration at the Discourse forum, now, would he?

Seems I was wrong.

• @faoileag said:

@faoileag said:
    Bah, @mikeTheLiar wouldn't be so stupid to use an email address his mobile keeps polling for registration at the Discourse forum, now, would he?

Seems I was wrong.

No, I wasn't getting automatic email notifications. I was AFK doing actual work and came back to this.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

No, I wasn't getting automatic email notifications.

Phew! *wipe forehead*.

• Well, this worked much better than I'd anticipated.

Filed under: For science!

@mikeTheLiar

• I was a sporadic lurker in the old forum - but enough to know the common names... and I saw a lot of wisdom from your frontside comments (with the same nick) ;)

Sorry mikeTheLiar, but Good Science demanded a temporary sacrifice. (If anyone wants to play that game again and wanting a sacrifice, it has to be my turn next time, mkay?)

• Considered Harmful

@Keith said:

Does anyone know why that didn't work?

Discourse's markdown parser is broken in dozens of ways. I got sick of reporting them and being told it was "by-design."

Edit: @mikeTheLiar

• @Arantor said:

I was a sporadic lurker in the old forum - but enough to know the common names... and I saw a lot of wisdom from your frontside comments (with the same nick) ;)

Ah, ok. I was asking because with the old frontside comments, I was just sort of taking part in the general mayhem. But when Discourse was introduced to the general audience, it struck a chord somehow. And when codinghorror joined the fray on the article-discussions-cum-discourse-discussions, I became a bit more pugnacious :-)
    @Arantor said:
    (If anyone wants to play that game again and wanting a sacrifice, it has to be my turn next time, mkay?)

Oh no, that wouldn't be the TDWTF style. TDWTF style would be to find out what happens when a lot of @referencing_someone_who_doesnt_exist happens :evil_grin:

Bug report: emoji for evil grin is missing!

• Oh, yes, I'm well aware of what TDWTF style would be. It's like Gangnam Style but more awesome.

I'm just at the stage where I'm beginning to enjoy forums and software development again, having gotten out from under a rock of fail. I have tales of WTF that one day I can tell. Life in open source is excitingly terrible. It'd be nice to be the lab rat rather than the mad scientist just for once.

• @faoileag said:

Ah, ok. I was asking because with the old frontside comments, I was just sort of taking part in the general mayhem. But when Discourse was introduced to the general audience, it struck a chord somehow. And when codinghorror joined the fray on the article-discussions-cum-discourse-discussions, I became a bit more pugnacious

We've had article discussions on Discourse?

• This post is deleted!

• @mikeTheLiar said:

http://what.thedailywtf.com/category/article-discussion

We really, really, really, really, really, really, really need sarcasm tags.

• How would you represent that in Markdown? Lemme guess, we'd use that old fashioned bbcode nonsense?

• @faoileag said:

article-discussions-cum-discourse-discussions,

That is definitely more than I wanted to know about what you do while reading TDWTF.

Filed under: Morbs did nickname it "Intercourse."

• @Arantor said:

I'm just at the stage where I'm beginning to enjoy forums and software development again, having gotten out from under a rock of fail.

Whenever someone is posting this, I cannot help but think like "Did lawyer clean you out?"

• Worse, I got involved with open source development where apparently developers are no more important to the project than anyone else. With a team of 20-odd people including 3 developers, developing a piece of software, you'd think the developers would be more important than some of the others... but nooooooooo...

• @HardwareGeek said:

Filed under: Morbs did nickname it "Intercourse."

Did Intercourse chase @morbiuswilters off? So many cases where his brand of sarcasm would have been a perfect fit lately...

• @Arantor said:

Worse, I got involved with open source development where apparently developers are no more important to the project than anyone else. With a team of 20-odd people including 3 developers, developing a piece of software, you'd think the developers would be more important than some of the others... but nooooooooo...

Sounds familiar...

• @Arantor said:

How would you represent that in Markdown? Lemme guess, we'd use that old fashioned bbcode nonsense?

A group of us were thinking of delimiting sarcastic sections with the interrobang.

• @Arantor said:

It'd be nice to be the lab rat rather than the mad scientist just for once.

I have a workmate who is a lab rat, and I can tell you, it's no laughing matter!

And unfortunately that is not the meant as the TDWTF in-joke.

I don't know how bad your experiences have been in OS, but it can be just as bad in a "normal" developer position. Developing a feature for half a year, then the boss comes up saying "No, I don't like it this way, do it again but differently"? Normal.

You would rather improve the general quality of the software but instead are given an endless stream of small task you can only accomplish by worsen the quality of the software? State of the art in a lot of small shops.

• @chubertdev said:

We've had article discussions on Discourse?

Now that you mention it...

• @DrakeSmith said:

Did Intercourse chase @morbiuswilters off? So many cases where his brand of sarcasm would have been a perfect fit lately...

He still wanders by once in a while, but he's definitely gotten less active. His profile shows he was last here 2 days ago.

• @faoileag said:

I don't know how bad your experiences have been in OS, but it can be just as bad in a "normal" developer position. Developing a feature for half a year, then the boss comes up saying "No, I don't like it this way, do it again but differently"? Normal.

You can normally deal with bosses like that by changing colors and pictures, but not touching any of the actual architecture of the code.

• It's been a repeating cycle over the last 5 years, which I naively thought I could change. That part, sadly, is the RWTF.

@faoileag It's a bit different in a paid developer position because you're being paid to work on something and within reason (and as TDWTF attests, usually not nearly enough sanity) boss says jump and you ask how high. But in OSS, there's no big boss man waving a 'you're sacked' notice at you. There's no big stick. When you enter into it with the belief in wanting to do something good and improve the software you use and you end up feeling battle scarred out of it, there's something wrong.

Btw, I like the idea of the interrobang. I wouldn't want to copy/paste ‽ every time I use sarcasm, will ?! and !? delimiting suffice? (After all, we don't delimit C-like multilines with /* /, but / */, I propose we do the same with interrobang sarcasm)

• @chubertdev said:

@mikeTheLiar said:
    mikeTheLiar said:
    http://what.thedailywtf.com/category/article-discussion

We really, really, really, really, really, really, really need sarcasm tags.

Interesting:
    @mikeTheLiar said:
    (post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Since you post directly below @mkieTheLiar (pun intended), this is a nice wtf: you can delete your posts. Just pray nobody quoted them before you deleted them :evil_grin:

Bug: emoji for :evil:grin: still missing

• @Arantor said:

I wouldn't want to copy/paste ‽ every time I use sarcasm, will ?! and !? delimiting suffice? (After all, we don't delimit C-like multilines with /* /, but / */, I propose we do the same with interrobang sarcasm)

You could just use ‽ - ‽

• That's still typing 7 characters versus 4. 😦

• @Arantor said:

Worse, I got involved with open source development where apparently developers are no more important to the project than anyone else. With a team of 20-odd people including 3 developers, developing a piece of software, you'd think the developers would be more important than some of the others... but nooooooooo...

That sounds like 17 managers for three developers...

On the risk of getting slapped with a large trout for posting yet again a picture in tongues, you can buy a wonderful postcard for this situation [here][1]

Explanation: all of the people standing around the hole are labeled with some managerial role, whereas the guy doing the actual work has just an ordinary name like "John".
    [1]: http://www.amazon.de/Modern-Times-Postkarte-Horst/dp/B005H9MG3S

• @Arantor said:

That's still typing 7 characters versus 4.

Yeah, but it's still not grabbing for the mouse.And you can type it once to copy/paste at the end, instead of trying to find it first in print to paste.

• @faoileag said:

That sounds like 17 managers for three developers...

On the risk of getting slapped with a large trout for posting yet again a picture in tongues, you can buy a wonderful postcard for this situation [here][1]

Explanation: all of the people standing around the hole are labeled with some managerial role, whereas the guy doing the actual work has just an ordinary name like "John".
    [1]: http://www.amazon.de/Modern-Times-Postkarte-Horst/dp/B005H9MG3S

It's like you know me!

@DrakeSmith said:

Yeah, but it's still not grabbing for the mouse.And you can type it once to copy/paste at the end, instead of trying to find it first in print to paste.

But that's still 7 characters I have to type twice (so, actually, 14) even if I copy/paste.

That said I suppose I could assign the fourth button my trackball to typing that...

• ♿ (Parody)

@Arantor said:

That's still typing 7 characters versus 4.

Look into alternate input methods on your system. For me, I use WinShift/1 since I have KDE's compose key mapped to the otherwise useless Win

• @Arantor said:

Developer is always replaceable resource. I like to think of developer as resource or tools to get job done. Every successful project manager know this. However it is important to not misuse your tool as they may get damaged.

Some tool are expensive like Hole Hawg drill. Some are delicate like the soldering kits
    Once developer also understand this, then everyone get along and produce profits.

• @chubertdev said:

A group of us were thinking of delimiting sarcastic sections with the interrobang.

You might want to add it to the wikipedia entry for "irony punctuation" then.

Just to add my %2: why not simply use <sarcasm></sarcasm>? After all Sometimes a Word is Worth a Thousand Icons (SCNR).

• A developer might be replaceable. An expert who actually understands how it all works... not so much. And I'm definitely damaged by the experience.

Anyway, matter at hand. If I can figure out a way I like for typing ‽ efficiently, who do I have to convince to make a sarcasm tag? I assume markup would look something like this?

• @chubertdev said:

You can normally deal with bosses like that by changing colors and pictures, but not touching any of the actual architecture of the code.

Unfortunately not in this case.. The feature was developed more or less from scratch again, including all the necessary meetings for determing what whould happen if and when and on a solar eclipse during a half moon.

• Sadly been there. But did you account for solar and lunar eclipse at the same time? And if not, why not?

• @faoileag said:

You might want to add it to the wikipedia entry for "irony punctuation" then.

Just to add my %2: why not simply use <sarcasm></sarcasm>? After all Sometimes a Word is Worth a Thousand Icons (SCNR).

[sarcasm]I need sarcasm tags for my discussion about sarcasm tags.[/sarcasm]

• @Arantor said:

But in OSS ... When you enter into it with the belief in wanting to do something good and improve the software you use and you end up feeling battle scarred out of it, there's something wrong.

Sadly enough, the first thing that came to my mind when reading this was codinghorror's reaction to a code submit from ben_lubar regarding nested quotes... :-(

• Sounds like a case of ‽sarcasmception‽ or a meme waiting to happen.

• @Arantor said:

A developer might be replaceable. An expert who actually understands how it all works... not so much. And I'm definitely damaged by the experience.

Clever manager always know how to get more work done out of any resource. I agree about comment on expert, but lets face this --> Experts are only needed some of the time. Not all the time. Even our CMM level 5 company cannot afford to hire a person like Robby or Doug or anders all the time.

So we get them from time to time and ask him to consult our expert developer people. then these expert people learn and train us.

Disclaimer: We never got Anders

• I'm agreeing with Nagesh.

Filed under: it really is Friday 13th, the very end of the world is nigh

• @Arantor said:

Sounds like a case of ‽sarcasmception‽ or a meme waiting to happen.

sarcastaball!

• Heh

Also, @apapadimoulis if you're going for a modernisation, you could always update the favicon from the now passe and old fashioned ?! to ‽ laughs

• @Nagesh said:

Some tool are expensive like Hole Hawg drill. Some are delicate like the soldering kits

And some are like the stuff you can buy at Poundstretcher. You use them, and the time you spend repairing the damage caused by the tool exceeds the amount you saved in the first place.

Offshoring software development tends to fall into that category, at least from what I've witnessed so far.

• @faoileag said:

Offshoring software development tends to fall into that category, at least from what I've witnessed so far.

I know a lot of our India based companies get bad press, but truth is each time there is some wrong management decision involved. The VAT story is an example of this.

If I tell you, I will do everything correctly and first time right, but you have to wait for 3 moths, will that be accepted by you? Most likely not. So first the client lies to the project manager who lie to team leader who lie to team members like me. Then we have build so many lies upon lies that everyone has buy into this. It is not very different from politics.

Edit:
    Disclaimer: I am staunch proponent of doing correctly things that are meant to be done correctly

• @chubertdev said:

[sarcasm]I need sarcasm tags for my discussion about sarcasm tags.[/sarcasm]

Sorry, forgot we are talking about Discourse here, where just one way of markup is not enough. Of course BBCode style sarcasm tags have to be supported as well!

$It's not as if supporting three different markup styles at the same time would present a serious problem for Discourses editor, would it?$*

*I had to offer the dollar sign as Discourse's own sarcasm markup because it would so nicely break posting Perl code.

• @Arantor said:

or a meme waiting to happen.

Argh! Don't mention the word! If codinghorror sees this, a lolcats pic might be posted!

• I know the correct history of the word but the first time I saw it (and for some time until I looked it up), I'd always thought of it as 'me-me' as in "me, me, look at me aren't I funny‽"

• @faoileag said:

*I had to offer the dollar sign as Discourse's own sarcasm markup because it would so nicely break posting Perl code.

And PHP code.

Both of which, I'm pretty sure, are pure sarcasm, anyway. The system works!

• Not if PHP were British it wouldn't.

Also, warning me I've posted more than 20% of the replies? That's... interesting.

• @Arantor said:

Not if PHP were British it wouldn't.

Also, warning me I've posted more than 20% of the replies? That's... interesting.

Ooh, ლGeorgian PHP would be awesome.

And I get that message all the time. I think that @codinghorror forgot that users don't read.