Arbitrary Post Navigation: Enter Key Behavior Broken

• Continuing the discussion from Some proposed Discourse improvements for TDWTF:

@codinghorror said:

OK, the final part of this is now deployed -- move to arbitrary post number.

Bug: Pressing Enter when trying to navigate to an arbitrary post number does not trigger the "go" button.
    Repro: Chrome 35 on WIndows 7

1. Open the topic navigation panel.
    2. Enter an integer value in the text field.
    3. Press Enter.
      Expected: Pressing Enter in step three should trigger the go button and take me to the post I have indicated.

• And while I'm on the subject, maybe add "to" on the "go top" and "go bottom" buttons. As they are now, I feel like the text belongs in some old King's Quest era game.

• Possible exits are NORTH, SOUTH, and DENNIS.

• Banned

Actually looking at it, I think it might be better to just say "top" and "bottom" there, since the "go" in the middle implies and carries.

Filed under: Omit Needless Words

• That's probably better than my initial suggestion. I just knew that something wasn't quite right.

Filed under: Department of Redundancy Department

• Banned

Talking about Go ... I would get rid of it next to the number and just have it debounce and take you to the number you type in.

Omit more needless words and buttons

• Banned

I dunno, that might be kind of obscure. Plus, the word "go" is kind of what the whole panel is about, isn't it?

• Banned

Obscure? its a textbox, you fill in the number, it takes you there :)

Don't feel violently strongly about this, just seems pointless, same that there is no Go button on web browsers anymore

• @sam said:

same that there is no Go button on web browsers

Sure there is. It just uses an icon instead of the word.

I'd keep the go button.

• Chrome hasn't had one for several iterations. Whether that's a good thing is another matter entirely (especially seeing how it's considered by some studies to be most popular browser)

• @Arantor said:

Chrome hasn't had one for several iterations. Whether that's a good thing is another matter entirely (especially seeing how it's considered by some studies to be most popular browser)

They probably removed it from Chrome (and, I've noticed, Safari) because most people don't physically click it, they just hit Enter to trigger the desired behavior. But it was there, on every browser, at some point, so people learned what to expect from hitting Enter. Removing it isn't a huge deal because nearly everyone knows how to trigger the desired behavior.

Not including the go button in the arbitrary navigator is not a good idea, because it's a unique control. People won't automatically know how to use it. And I bet that the go button would get used fairly often on mobile. I know I tend to use buttons more on mobile platforms than on a desktop or laptop, so removing the button would just make it harder for mobile users.

Filed under: The world must be ending, I agreed with @codinghorror, Twice

• True enough, Chrome 4 had such a button, but that was like 5 years ago and it appeared to be gone by Chrome 6.

I agree that not including it would be a problem for the use case in question. On the other hand... it would also break one of the apparent design conventions in Discourse to display as little UI as possible, and have everything implemented with glyphs rather than textual elements. There's 100% too many letters in 'Go' for Discourse's apparent UI conventions. At least, I assume there are conventions in use, rather than stuff just slapped wherever people thought it would look good.

• 🚽 Regular

I suggest you highlight the whole bar when hovered, as a hint that it can be clicked.

Not sure if this suggestion will go well with everyone though.

• Banned

Enter now works for "Go" and post fades on navigation as expected. Thanks for this @eviltrout!

• Banned