FileZilla/SourceForge Download Manager

• Git's usability reminds me of Linux's usability in general, to be honest.

Thing is, I've seen people have to do all kinds of rebasing and repo fixing after seemingly regular things broke it. I've never seen that with SVN, not even after years of using it.

• Git's usability reminds me of Linux's usability in general, to be honest.

Thing is, I've seen people have to do all kinds of rebasing and repo fixing after seemingly regular things broke it. I've never seen that with SVN, not even after years of using it.

Linux is too broad a platform to compare it to a single application -- let alone one of the worst in common use on Linux. There's some decent-to-excellent UI's in Linux.

I think Darcs wins the DVCS UI competition, but it's slow (it has a richer data model than Git, but uses more expensive data structures). I hear nice things about Mercurial.

• @Arantor said:

Git's usability reminds me of Linux's usability in general, to be honest.

Oh yes git interface is horrible, even for a command line interface. Luckily there are some decent GUI tools now. Github's client is pretty good for beginners, while TortoiseGit is the most extensive afaik. IntelliJ's (+PHPStorm, Android studio etc.) is personally my favorite but it can only do basic stuff, so I use that when possible and Tortoisegit for the rest..

• SourceTree is pretty nice as a GUI for GIT - http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ - but you stil have to fiddle around with command line stuff if something goes wrong.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@lolwhat said:

2H2(g) + O2(g) → 2H2O(g)

2H<sub>2</sub>(g) + O<sub>2</sub>(g) → 2H<sub>2</sub>O(g)

2H2(g) + O2(g) → 2H2O(g)

</pedant>

@PJH said:

</pedant>

That should be </dickweed>

• @PJH said:

2H2(g) + O2(g) → 2H2O(g)

2H₂(g) + O₂(g) → 2H₂O(g)

@reverendryan said:

Like what?

Git gets… “interesting” to use when you're trying to deal with several people all working on the same branch (taking one system — a particular Github repo perhaps — as being the authoritative source). You can get quite seriously messed up just trying to get everything sorted out.

It also gets rather more complex when you're dealing with multiple upstreams where some commits have to go in multiple directions. (OTOH, it's actually practical to do that with git…)
    @reverendryan said:

As a recent convert from SVN to DVCS (hg), I haven't managed to get myself into any situation that was worse than what I got myself into with SVN, and trying to do the branch-per-feature thing with SVN's merging got me in to a couple doozies.

SVN's merging is awful.

The big issues with git are the learning curve thousand foot cliff with an overhang (not only is the command line hard, the documentation is also terrible in that it assumes you know all sorts of things that are generally entirely mysterious to a newcomer) and the fact that the repository IO code sometimes corrupts things (fortunately that's very rare, but other DVCSes get it better). But for all that, it's better than SVN because you can get shit done once you've learned it.

Also, it has some features in it that are plain old gipsy magic, such as the code to synch with SVN which I've used to disentangle some really badly mangled SVN repositories.

• 🚽 Regular

I understand that heavy gases have the opposite effect. They lower your voice.

The fact they also tend to stay down in your lungs and suffocate you is what makes them less used. That and a squeaky voice is funnier than a deep voice, I guess.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

Git gets… “interesting” to use when you're trying to deal with several people all working on the same branch (taking one system — a particular Github repo perhaps — as being the authoritative source). You can get quite seriously messed up just trying to get everything sorted out.

Mercurial seems to handle this pretty well, though to be honest, I don't think I've ever ended up with more than one extra anonymous branch at a time.

• @mott555 said:

That still doesn't address that I don't have a domain account for the build system (and I'm not willing to use my account)

My mind boggles at IT policy that lets you install random file server daemons on some shared Windows box but won't let you create a local user account on it for use with its inbuilt Windows file sharing.

@mott555 said:

or the fact that everything in the automated build is scripted so the GUI file browser has no relevance

I netadmin a school with some Windows VMs on a Linux host, I have a few maintenance scripts on the host that need to manipulate files on the Windows servers, and it's quite straightforward to do that in bash (or anything else).

I wasted quite a lot of time messing about with both FTP and SCP/SFTP servers for Windows before coming to the inevitable conclusion that making Linux clients work via CIFS was always going to involve less pain than trying to persuade Windows to serve files over anything else. And in fact there's very little pain involved at all.

I agree that the availability of GUI file browsing is not directly relevant to scripted use of a file server, but it can be handy for inspecting the messes that not-quite-ready scripts have made of it.

More than happy to lend a hand if you run into trouble.

• I found an older version of FileZilla Server that installs on XP and everything's working smoothly now. I only had to go back a few minor revisions to get one with XP support.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said:

The big issues with git are the learning curve thousand foot cliff with an overhang

I found this helpful: http://pcottle.github.io/learnGitBranching/

It helped a lot that I already knew what git was mostly doing behind the scenes (it's all driven by content-addressability). The parts I still find a bit tricky are the notions of what happens when you're wanting to track multiple branches at once on several upstreams; the workflow for that is… confusing.

Egit (git support in Eclipse) is worse. It makes some things easier ( ✨ yay! ✨) at the cost of making other things utterly impossible and sometimes blatantly lying to your face. “Stop tracking a file without deleting it? Oh, you must have actually meant to check in the changes to it!”

• @mott555 said:

… automated build/ machines that need a central repository for storage of output binaries and other intermediate files. I've tried a lot of different things and FTP is by far the easiest to script in all environments.

Any continuous integration tool should take care of collecting the output files for you. I am used to Jenkins, but others would do as well.

• FreeSSHd uses OpenSSL 0.97 unknown letter version. It is so old that the openssl project doesn't even keep track of its security vulnerabilities anymore.