<kbd>End</kbd> doesn't always work as expected.



  • FF32.0a1

    Repro:

    Expected: bottom of page should be at, or at least near, the top of the Suggested Topics
    Actual: Taken to the top of the page (or, more likely, to the start of the last - and only - very long post in that topic.)

    If my supposition is correct, not sure how this can be 'fixed.'



  • Discourse is focused on reading, and if you go to the end of the thread, you're reading the last post...but what's the point of going to that post if you don't read it from the beginning?



  • @chubertdev said:

    Discourse is focused on reading, and if you go to the end of the thread, you're reading the last post...but what's the point of going to that post if you don't read it from the beginning?

    I already know what's in the last post (or it's getting boring and I want to skip it) - I want to go to the end of it so I can find the next unread topic that I can read.


  • Banned

    I see, its taking you to the TOP of the last post when it should be taking you to the bottom of the last post.



  • Except, I've noticed, when the posts are short, and it attempts to place the last post near middle of the viewport....



  • @PJH said:

    I already know what's in the last post (or it's getting boring and I want to skip it) - I want to go to the end of it so I can find the next unread topic that I can read.

    Solution

    1. Click on header
    2. Navigate from there

  • Banned

    workaround j j totally agree END is not working right though.



  • @sam said:

    workaround j j

    Ctrl End is probably quicker as a workaround (just found that one) - bypasses all the code around mucking around with End I'm assuming...


  • BINNED

    @PJH said:

    Ctrl End is probably quicker as a workaround (just found that one) - bypasses all the code around mucking around with End I'm assuming...

    If that's the case, won't that get us back to the old problem of End just loading more content? Or do you mean it bypasses just the positioning part?



  • Workaround in the instance where it's at the point where Suggested Topics is loaded.

    Suggested test cases for this once/if it's completed/'fixed'

    • single long post (my repro)
    • long post, short post
    • short post or three, long post
    • sufficient number of short posts to invoke infiniscroll, long post. (Most affected by this)

  • Banned

    also, I am thinking we should add a keyboard shortcut for "next suggested topic"


  • BINNED

    @sam said:

    also, I am thinking we should add a keyboard shortcut for "next suggested topic"

    I'm wondering if "hit space once the end of page is reached" would be too confusing to people. That way you could just hit space repeatedly to scroll the page and once you reach the end it would just get you to the next topic.


    Filed under: To inifiniscroll... and beyond!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.