User Trust Levels
Discourse has the concept of User Trust Levels whereby you are allowed (or not) to do things depending on your user level.
Your current level can be found in the banner of your Profile Page under 'Trust Level'.
Not quite technically a level, but the 'group' someone who isn't logged in belongs to. e.g. someone browsing the site or GoogleBot.
Level 0* - New User
This is what you start off as just after you've signed up. Your username will be a lighter grey on the boards.
While level 0, you cannot:
- View/post to the Bugs category
- Send private messages to other users
- Reply as new topic in the right gutter
- Flag posts
- Post any images
- Post any attachments
- Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
- Have actual links in the 'about me' field of their profile
- Mention more than 2 users in a post
Level 1 - Basic User
After you've read (by default - this may change)
- 5 topics,
- 30 posts, and
- have been logged into the forum for 10 minutes
you become a Basic User. This imparts a little more trust in your actions. Your username will be a 'normal' grey on the boards, and most of the restrictions mentioned above are lifted (others simply have higher limits.)
Level 2 - Member (Used to be Regular User)
Once you've read (again, by default)
- 20 topics,
- 100 posts,
- been logged in the forum for an hour,
- given and received 1 like,
- replied to 3 topics and
- have visited while logged in on 15 different days,
you become a Member User. You will now be able to abuse the "Invite others to this topic" button to invite new users to join in. Please don't abuse it.
Level 3 - Regular (Used to be Leader)
Next, we have Level 3. By default you must meet all the following criteria:
- have visited while logged in on 50 of the previous 100 days
- replied to at least 10 different topics in the previous 100 days
- read at least a quater of the topics created in the past 100 days
- read at least a quarter of the posts created in the past 100 days
- have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
- must not have been reported (and confirmed by a mod) for 5 spam and/or offensive posts. (Criteria for this is: 5 flags by 5 different users on 5 different posts - specifically: you could fail this by at least 5 flags being submitted.)
* These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the limit), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the limit). Likes cannot be from PMs.
Note that since this is a rolling 100-day check it's possible to float in and out of Level 3. The check is normally made daily, but there will be a 14 day grace period after a promotion before you're eligible for daily checks again. (The grace period currently works only one way - you can get re-promoted within 24 hrs if you can clear the criteria for doing so.)
Admins can manually move people between Member and Regular status outside of the automatic system.
Level 3 gives you the ability to recategorise and rename topics (and, by implication, close and re-open polls,) access to The Lounge (a category in meta, only Level 3 and above can post to /view) and have any links you post not
nofollowed as they are by default.
Level 4 - Leader (Used to be Elder)
Level 4 doesn't appear to be (currently) automatically achievable. Hence it can only be bestowed by an admin.
- edit all posts
- pin/unpin topic
- close topic
- archive topic
- make topic invisible
- split and merge topics
- make posts into wikis
- add staff color (yellow background) to posts
- re-bake posts
And also access First Class™ where only level 4's and staff can post to and view.
Moderators appear to be 'permanent' Level 4 users in that they can edit all posts and do some post and topic related administration. In addition they can handle flags, and delete topics (level 4 users can only hide topics.) They can also delete (or rather hide) edit histories of posts.
Administrators can do anything a moderator can, and also has access to various site configuration options.
Moderators and Adminstrators collectively.
As a venn diagram, user groups may be simplistically conceptualised as:<!-- https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/edit/00fd128d-acf9-46cf-8aa5-2375799cdd33? -->
- Level 2 users can be considered, where it matters, Level 1 and/or Level 0.
- Mods and Admin can be any Level, and as a whole are considered staff
- Likewise members of any other site-specific group can be any TL and can belong to multiple groups.
* - Those last seen at the turn of the new year in 1970 were imported from the old Community Server forum during the changeover.