Feature Request: explicit non-ninja editing...

• I've been "raised"/trained by wikipedia to own up to my own past actions. So now i expect a history and "diff" for most of my edits... While i understand why it's better to merge multiple minor edits into only one version, i would also like to have someplace that i could sometimes check to mark the edit i'm making as "trackable", even if it's within the time limit associated with a "ninja edit".

• Perhaps it could be done by adding an edit message to your edit. Right now, those edit messages just go nowhere if it's within five minutes of the post.

• Good point. Though it has such a low discoverability that i've completely forgot about it. :-|

• Banned

The default grace period for edits is 5 minutes.

If you want to indicate an explicit edit within the grace period, perhaps do it the old fashioned way, by entering "edited:" in the text.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Being able to ninja-edit is a good thing. Too often you spot something wrong just after you've hit Reply; a quick ninja-edit and it's sorted. Or you post something and then go off looking for the link to back it up; the web's pretty quick now, so you can get that link in there with a fairly high probability.

Filed under: unless it's to tvtropes

• @dkf said:

Being able to ninja-edit is a good thing.

I never said it isn't. But the feature request is about a check-box (similar to wikipedia's "minor edit") that instructs the software to ignore the short time-span elapsed and save a second entry anyway.

@codinghorror said:

If you want to indicate an explicit edit within the grace period, perhaps do it the old fashioned way, by entering "edited:" in the text.

Okay, i guess i could do that, but it's not very easy to indicate changes and removals... :-|

• Well, html has <ins> and <del>